Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 66

Author Topic: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM  (Read 69821 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2013, 04:59:31 pm »

\
No, an well regulated militia is specifically the body of citizens armed with the best military weaponry of the day. Every white male of fighting age was in considered to be a part of the militia.

Specifically?  Where does it specifically say that?
it doesnt say that in the constitution. but that does not change thed defition of well regulated militia at the time it was written.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2013, 05:02:26 pm »

it doesnt say that in the constitution. but that does not change thed defition of well regulated militia at the time it was written.
Were the folks who wrote the constitution kind enough to give a specific definition of a regulated militia at the time? Otherwise I'd go for the next best source; the US supreme court.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2013, 05:16:04 pm »

Were the folks who wrote the constitution kind enough to give a specific definition of a regulated militia at the time? Otherwise I'd go for the next best source; the US supreme court.

So the Supreme Court gets to decide?

Quote from: The Supreme Court
Collective rights theorists argue that addition of the subordinate clause qualifies the rest of the amendment by placing a limitation on the people's right to bear arms. However, if the amendment truly meant what collective rights advocates propose, then the text would read "[a] well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the States to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." However, that is not what the framers of the amendment drafted. The plain language of the amendment, without attenuate inferences therefrom, shows that the function of the subordinate clause was not to qualify the right, but instead to show why it must be protected. The right exists independent of the existence of the militia. If this right were not protected, the existence of the militia, and consequently the security of the state, would be jeopardized." (U.S. v. Emerson, 46 F.Supp.2d 598 (N.D.Tex. 1999))

The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2013, 05:18:26 pm »

\
No, an well regulated militia is specifically the body of citizens armed with the best military weaponry of the day. Every white male of fighting age was in considered to be a part of the militia.

Specifically?  Where does it specifically say that?

So you're saying the constitution was a document of the times and that it demands interpretation based on the context of the matter at hand?

Would you please go talk to American conservatives for a while? It'd be nice if someone could dissuade them of the belief that Jesus Christ came down from heaven and personally wrote the Constitution of the United States of America in the blood of Brits with a quill plucked from the first Bald Eagle on the North American continent.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2013, 05:31:06 pm »

So you're saying the constitution was a document of the times and that it demands interpretation based on the context of the matter at hand?

No, I'm saying that you are using the word "specifically" in place of "in my opinion".

If you meant "specifically" then you would have very little difficulty pointing to the specific place where this is indicated.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2013, 05:35:00 pm »

2. Sources, sources, sources. Veteran posters around here will mostly enforce this themselves, but it bears mentioning: If you come and make some random-ass claim, you better have something to support it, or you will get laughed out of town.

In the land of the derails, the one rule is RedKing.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2013, 08:17:17 pm »

Every American soldier must memorize and recite the following:
I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

What happens when the politicians become the domestic enemy that threatens the Constitution?

Only a simple mind can be certain.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2013, 08:24:09 pm »

It means irrelevant, because the US is one of the most legitamate government's in the whole world. It's pretty much impossible to organize coup's or mass rebellion. And I don't mean protests or stuff, I mean rebellion. In Spain, striking miners use makeshift rpgs.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It'd make a great dictatorship frankly if it wasn't for that whole "democracy" thing actually.\
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2013, 08:37:27 pm »

Posting to troll.
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2013, 08:41:00 pm »

It means irrelevant, because the US is one of the most legitamate government's in the whole world. It's pretty much impossible to organize coup's or mass rebellion.
This does not make a legitimate government.

It isn't a sound political climate when you have a significant number of people buying guns for the sole reason of being capable of rebelling against the government.

It's kind of creepy if you would think a government capable of oppression and crushing insurrection makes it the most able. One would think you would be more better off with a government that works. Or at the very least, isn't openly accepting bribes "lobbying." Or openly destroying civil liberties. Committing war crimes. Dragging the world into archaic beliefs "global warming is a myth..."
The list is long and full of melancholy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2013, 08:42:18 pm »

Look, Scriver! I'm SWEDISH now!

In /other/ politics news, Barney Frank has volunteered to be a Senator again, but only if he is asked really really nicely.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2013, 09:08:15 pm »

Your definition of legitamate is different from mine. Legitimate does not mean "best", or "good" or even "decent". It means "acceptable". And that, the Government is. A non-legitamate government, by definition, is a inherently unstable, usually transition or post coup government. The US is neither. Is democracy, which tends to be moer legitamate then other government types.

A totally legitamate ogvernment is Coup-proof, because they are the accepted leader. That is what legitamate means. Because it's so easy to vote people out, the government often remains legitamate in spite of masssive evidence to the contrary.I'm taking legitamate in the classical sense of the term. As such, in that the US cannot be taken down by a coup, or other actual military change or rebellion, it is, regardless, legitimate.

Also, if the US government was so terrible, I wouldn't be alive. I owe them alot. My food, my home, my lights my insurance. This internet is actually someone elses though.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2013, 09:17:48 pm »

You... kinda' have to balance that against the rest of it, if you're going to try to justify the state of USA government to, like... anyone else. The states are kinda' legitimately terrible in a lot of ways. We do a good chunk of nasty shit both to other people and ourselves. Whether the rest of it (whatever you define "rest of it" as) makes up for that or to what degree kinda' varies based on person and heuristic being used to measure.

Which is really, really driving off the metapolitic cliff, methinks.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2013, 09:22:04 pm »

Would you please go talk to American conservatives for a while? It'd be nice if someone could dissuade them of the belief that Jesus Christ came down from heaven and personally wrote the Constitution of the United States of America in the blood of Brits with a quill plucked from the first Bald Eagle on the North American continent.
This kind of thing is why I never post politics on these forums.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2013, 09:24:11 pm »

So the US is illegitimate because a bunch of survivalist nuts think it is and they have the most guns per capita?  Well at least it beats strange women lying in lakes passing out swords.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 66