Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 66

Author Topic: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM  (Read 69886 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: American Politics Omnibus Megathread of DOOM
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 03:17:15 pm »

They aren't really allowed not to enforce federal laws either, they just do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 03:21:26 pm »

Yeah, any attempt to actually beat federal law won't work.  They are however allowed to not enforce federal laws (I think this is how pot legalization works), although this can lead to financial sanctions.

And I think Japan has overtaken China as the largest stakeholder in the US' debt, so update your scary foreign person adverts!

I'm envisioning a midterm scare ad by the Republicans with a picture of Barack Obama as Gendo Ikari.

...and, derail on page 4.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:22:58 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 03:22:00 pm »

Yeah, any attempt to actually beat federal law won't work.  They are however allowed to not enforce federal laws (I think this is how pot legalization works), although this can lead to financial sanctions.

And I think Japan has overtaken China as the largest stakeholder in the US' debt, so update your scary foreign person adverts!

I'm envisioning a midterm scare ad by the Republicans with a picture of Barack Obama as Gendo Ikari.
FUND IT!

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 03:23:56 pm »

I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 03:24:43 pm »

...and, derail on page 4.
Page 1 for some.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 04:19:11 pm »

Back to the impending trainwreck: "GOP officials said 90 percent of their members are prepared to allow the cuts to take effect, rather than compromise, based on their preliminary head counts. This seems like the most likely outcome right now." (from Politico.)

We're fucked, folks!

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 08:20:35 pm »

Back to the impending trainwreck: "GOP officials said 90 percent of their members are prepared to allow the cuts to take effect, rather than compromise, based on their preliminary head counts. This seems like the most likely outcome right now." (from Politico.)

We're fucked, folks!

At least when we go down, we'll take the rest of the world with us. [/incrediblycruelandstupidjoke]

Anyway, the best way to make sure that we don't default is to make the public blame republicans and conservatism on it. That alone would force enough of the semi-moderate GOP members to defect and pass the vote in the house.

And if that fails, Obama could do a last minute Executive Order to raise the debt ceiling, though we won't see this theoretical outcome until that moment simply because Obama doesn't want to be painted as a tyrant.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2013, 08:49:38 pm »

I kinda want you guys to default, purely for entertainment value.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2013, 09:10:05 pm »

I kinda want you guys to default, purely for entertainment value.

^ this, even though I live here.

Anyway, the best way to make sure that we don't default is to make the public blame republicans and conservatism on it. That alone would force enough of the semi-moderate GOP members to defect and pass the vote in the house.

Yeah but then they'd still be there. And just take some other name like the capitalist party or something.

*ahem* not implying that they are the Illuminati or affiliated to the Illuminati or anything like that.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2013, 09:18:22 pm »

Yeah but then they'd still be there. And just take some other name like the capitalist party or something.

*ahem* not implying that they are the Illuminati or affiliated to the Illuminati or anything like that.

Continuing on my theme of destruction for humour, the collapse of the GOP would be great because it would inevitably lead to the collapse of the Dems too, and then we might get something less terrible to replace them.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2013, 09:20:26 pm »

The NWO?

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2013, 09:21:43 pm »

Vote Black Helicopter 2016.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2013, 09:34:26 pm »

Continuing on my theme of destruction for humour, the collapse of the GOP would be great because it would inevitably lead to the collapse of the Dems too, and then we might get something less terrible to replace them.

Before you sign the DEMs death warrant, it's probably good to point out that they've been around and kicking since 1836 and survived every misfortune a party could face.

The Democrats: America's Cockroach Party

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2013, 09:36:54 pm »

Or the Republicans' death warrent, actually. The Democrats had a similarly massive split throughout much of their history, between Northern union people and Southern racists. And they've had whole periods where they were too out-of-touch to win elections, too, notably the period from 1860-1932 (only two Democratic presidents in that entire time period, Cleveland and Wilson) and the period from 1968-1992 (Carter). It wouldn't surprise me if the Republicans go into that good night permanently, but parties can stick around losing elections for a long time as well. (Although, in both those cases, the Democrats often had Congressional majorities, including the entire period from LBJ to Clinton. The Republicans may not be so lucky.)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:40:15 pm by dhokarena56 »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 66