Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Visiting Patients  (Read 1487 times)

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
Visiting Patients
« on: January 13, 2013, 02:08:44 pm »

An annoying thing that happens in my fortresses is that when a dwarf gets injured they lie in the hospital doing nothing, usually getting bad thoughts from their injuries, and possibly bad thoughts from anyone who wasn't lucky enough to survive whatever caused his/her injury. Apart from getting fed and soapy baths, perhaps there could be another way to make the dwarf happy?
What I was thinking is that dwarfs in the hospital can get visited by their kin/friends on their breaks, giving both of them a happy thought ("Visited an injured friend/spouse/sibling/etc. recently"). It may not matter much, but I think it adds a little bit more to the game.
Thoughts/Ideas?

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Visiting Patients
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:57:41 pm »

Great idea! I guess that it'd only be natural for family members/friends/spouse of a hospitalized dwarf to go visit said dwarf instead of idling around in a meeting hall. Though I guess it would be kind of awkward for the poor dwarf if they showed up while his/her arm was being amputated...perhaps they should only visit in 'visiting hours' (ie. when no job is being performed on the dwarf)? It would probably also be nice if visitors could feed/give water to the sick dwarf while they're at it.
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 04:41:57 pm »

Yeah, perhaps only family members. I wouldn't really like to see 18 dwarves visiting their dwarf friend with a cut arm, in my 4x4 hospital, haha.
Perhaps this can coincide with bad thoughts as well, perhaps if an injury is severe enough that the dwarf knows its going to die (Unsure how this would really work though.) the family members will get an unhappy thought like: "Heard some horrible news recently."
Speaking of knowing of deaths, I think that would actually be kind of nice. I would like to know if one of my soldiers are going to die so I can make the appropriate tomb.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:58:31 pm »

this goes hand in hand with "visiting dead dwarves's tombs" idea.  i like it
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 10:54:05 pm »

Speaking of visiting things in general, what about making a sort of "church" or "cathedral"? Order your Mason to make a couple Altars, designate a zone (similar to a hospital), fulfill requirements such as statues, engravings, etc. Put everything in place, and have the dwarves go there from time to time to pray to their chosen god. It could also work as a meeting area, perhaps there could be a "priest" or "preacher" noble, who can hold services and stuff.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:43:43 am by FrankyPlaysGames »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 11:11:24 pm »

I didn't think "Catholic" or even "Christian" until you mentioned Catholicism at the bottom.

We're able to accept using simple, obvious words for concepts that they almost fit. For a while, I was discussing in a thread which used the word "angel" to mean "any servant of a deity." (Then some new people came in and failed to comprehend that that's what we were talking about. Despite being told.  ::))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 12:49:05 am »

Removed that last part.
I always add that stuff at the end for some form of caution, due to other forums.
In the Gearbox forums I called Legendary weapons "God weapons", everyone got in a fight about religion, and I got banned for derailing the thread even though that was the only thing I said. They added a new rule in the forums because of that thread.

Anyways, other visiting suggestions, or anything else for dwarves to do while on break?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 01:25:01 am »

An annoying thing that happens in my fortresses is that when a dwarf gets injured they lie in the hospital doing nothing, usually getting bad thoughts from their injuries, and possibly bad thoughts from anyone who wasn't lucky enough to survive whatever caused his/her injury. Apart from getting fed and soapy baths, perhaps there could be another way to make the dwarf happy?
What I was thinking is that dwarfs in the hospital can get visited by their kin/friends on their breaks, giving both of them a happy thought ("Visited an injured friend/spouse/sibling/etc. recently"). It may not matter much, but I think it adds a little bit more to the game.
Thoughts/Ideas?

+1 good idea.

Friends or family bring the best food they can find, dwarf in hospital gets happy thought from good food, and everyone gets happy thoughts from social interaction with injured.

I also tend to put my hospitals in stone areas, so they can be engraved, and if the fort gets a lot of injuries I will create a public statue garden in the hospital.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 02:05:02 pm »

I'd also suggest that should a dwarf be wounded, the family members will be informed of this and visit the dwarf in the hospital. This should be a high priority task to visit the dwarf.

Doing so would give the family members either a happy or unhappy thought, perhaps with a mechanic similar to a noble conducting meetings with unhappy dwarves. Depends on the social skills of the two dwarves.

This meeting prior to death would significantly lesson the unhappy thought from the dwarf's death, but only if a relative can visit the injured dwarf in a hospital before the injured dwarf dies. If the injured dwarf dies without being met in a hospital then the current system is in play with the huge negative modifier for death.

The reason for this is that if a dwarf is injured and everyone knows it, the death will not come as a sudden shock. Depending on how the meeting goes between the dwarf and relatives (due to social skill levels or grudges, etc), this could even cause happy thoughts. A dwarf may die as an venerated, honorable hero, and that would raise the spirits of their relatives and friends.

I'd also suggest that prior to a creature's death of old age, they should be confined to a hospital for a few months. This would allow relatives and friends to say goodbye.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 03:02:13 pm »

It would make sense that it would lessen the impact of their death, because even if they still have unanswered questions that will forever remain so to the deceased McUrist, they at least got to talk to him one last time.

Which is substantially better than hearing that he passed away. Right there and with any last questions you could've asked.
Which is quite bad.

The guaranteed happy thought should probably be like "Saw a recently deceased friend/relative lately.", with other bonuses being possible but depending on the conditions specified in your second line.

Though in fact, it would probably also make sense to have another bad thought possible from this, namely a "Was too occupied to attend to friend/relative/hero's deathbed" event.
Because I'd imagine that being quite frustrating.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:05:28 pm by Bloax »

oh_no

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 03:52:09 pm »

I think linking it to social skills, similar to how a noble handles an upset citizen, might be more interesting. Depending on how it goes the relative may become very happy at having to talk to the injured dwarf, or they may become extremely upset. Or something in between.

In some cases there are times where a death can be a bittersweet thing, such as a heroic death. Its sad the person will die, but at the same time, they've lead a great life and done heroic things.

The meeting may also go poorly, with perhaps one last round of insults traded before the dwarf dies.

I think hospital meetings should be done whenever a dwarf is first brought to a hospital. If the dwarf recovers, then great. The happy/unhappy thought from the meeting still remains, but they don't die. If the dwarf does die from his/her wounds, then the unhappy thought from death is lessened. Of course if the last meeting went very badly then the combination of the bad thought from the meeting in addition to the bad thought from the relative's death may be a greater unhappy thought than currently.

If the meeting goes very well, then overall the dwarf may become happier even if you factor in the dwarf's death.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 08:22:11 pm »

Heh if done right, the noble method of interaction applied to injured dwarves could lead to even more mayhem.

Urist McBadass fights of an entire goblin invasion by himself, but suffers critical wounds.  He survives long enough to make it to the hospital, and his relative come and visit him.  At which point Urist sees his third cousin second removed, Urist McCheesemaker who he has a grudge against.  They speak, the conversation goes bad, and McBadass uses all of his remaining strength to kill McCheesemaker with a single blow to the head.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 06:10:44 am »

Yeah, perhaps only family members. I wouldn't really like to see 18 dwarves visiting their dwarf friend with a cut arm, in my 4x4 hospital, haha.
Perhaps this can coincide with bad thoughts as well, perhaps if an injury is severe enough that the dwarf knows its going to die (Unsure how this would really work though.) the family members will get an unhappy thought like: "Heard some horrible news recently."
It could judge based off whether or not a Dwarf's sustained a mortal wound... Though bruised lungs and the like may bug that kind of system.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 12:04:32 pm »

Heh if done right, the noble method of interaction applied to injured dwarves could lead to even more mayhem.

Urist McBadass fights of an entire goblin invasion by himself, but suffers critical wounds.  He survives long enough to make it to the hospital, and his relative come and visit him.  At which point Urist sees his third cousin second removed, Urist McCheesemaker who he has a grudge against.  They speak, the conversation goes bad, and McBadass uses all of his remaining strength to kill McCheesemaker with a single blow to the head.

Sounds very dwarven.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 08:19:47 pm »

Sounds very dwarven.
And, unlike most things this argument gets used for, actually sounds like something real people would do!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2