Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better Livestock Management and Behavior  (Read 417 times)

Werehuman

• Bay Watcher
  • Talented Modder
    • View Profile
Better Livestock Management and Behavior
« on: January 13, 2013, 11:57:35 am »

We all know the grazer value is buggy, but this is not really related. Right now, it seems that your animals and the wildlife live in perfect harmony. I think it would be fun to have the predators attempt to slaughter your animals, and haul their corpses off the map. Or eat them right there. Depends on how Toady would want to approach it. Behavior wise, the predators should linger around, trying to home in on a young or injured one that is seperate from the group. Depending on the animal, they would either flee randomly, or huddle around the young, old, and injured, or even attack in pursuit of the predators. You could also install a guard animal. A good example would be a dog, donkey, horse, llama, mule, or even a jabberer. Just a generally agressive and capable creature. Guard animals would attempt to kill anything that comes into their pasture, inadvertantly protecting the herd within. In real life, cattle or sheep, when they feel threatened, they huddle over near their guard animal. Generally a guard animal must be bigger than the majority of the flock or herd. Also, in real life cows don't just sit and starve amid a big field of grass. I think if you assign a pasture they will go directly there and stay there (or wander a bit like goats), but otherwise they will just graze randomly.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:13:08 pm by Werehuman »
+Signature+
This signature menaces with spikes of boringness.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Better Livestock Management and Behavior
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 02:32:33 pm »

You shouldn't be able to feed your livestock on those, either. In theory. In practice, herbivorous animals can and (sometimes) do eat meat (typically scavenging from a convenient corpse).

This would be quite helpful, though.

Oh, and planned and suggested before.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

aka010101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 05:30:24 pm »

I like the suggestion of guard animals, and in addition, would like to suggest a new job to go with it, that of a herder. The herder's job would be to make sure none of the animals wander off, and to protect them from predators, A crossbow or some sort of ranged weapon would be the job tool for the herder, much like it would for a hunter.

This of course has the benefit of making herders good militia when needed.

Other than that, though the hay thing has been suggested before, i would like to suggest that certian crops produce hay as well as whatever else they make. Cave wheat would be a good one to start with.

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 05:54:34 pm »

My grazers usually just hang around in the dining hall till they die of hunger unless I bother setting up a pasture outside. I have a different annoyance with animals. I captures some wolves and once in a while they have puppies, so I have to go to the Z->Animals, look for pups and assign them "Any trainer". Then I have to look over the animal list and assign any mature wolves to war training. I'd like this to be automated or at least have a filter in the animals menu.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral