Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Civ 4 won't start  (Read 12632 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Civ 4 won't start
« on: January 13, 2013, 08:18:37 am »

So, I bought Civ 4 and installed it recently.

The problem here is that it doesn't start. When I start it without steam it says "Couldn't find steam" and opens the steam front page in my browser. When I open it with steam, it says "Starting Civilization 4..." for a few seconds and then dissapears nothing really happens.

I bought it trough Steam, I actually bought the complete edition (aka, all the dlcs) if that matters. I'm running Windows 7, my video card is... AMD radeon HD 5650 IIRC. I have tried validating files trough steam, but aborted it because it took ages and was still at 0%. Google results tell me to delete the cache files, but I can't find them.

Logs that I found:

Spoiler: xml.log (click to show/hide)
resmgr.log is empty.
Spoiler: PythonErr2.log (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: init.log (click to show/hide)

So yeah, anybody have an idea how to fix this?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
Re: Civ 4 won't start
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:37:43 am »

Maybe you can try to reinstall the game, and/or google for some detailed solution...Not really familiar w/ that specific game.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 11:56:16 am »

getting either the complete CIV4 retail or Steam version to work on WIN7 is too hard if not impossible. I gave up eventually trying to install my legally bought copy, and got torrents for the separate install versions of CIV4, Warlords, and BtS. Using this guide, it now all works flawlessly, and I am once more enjoying FFH2. Be sure to follow it's instructions to the letter.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=408537

Oh, and de-install your steam version first, and run a CCleaner or similar tool afterwards before installing again

My uneducated guess is that the problem lies in that the installers for the game +2 addons have been compiled into one executable. I think something goes wrong with admin rights during install on Win7 (i.e. the vanilla Civ4 installs as admin, if you choose to run it as admin, but the install for warlords and BtS don't)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 12:01:19 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Donuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Madman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 11:59:12 am »

Weird, mine works FLAWLESSLY.
"Oh shit, they've got a slogan! It means they're serious!"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 12:42:40 pm »

Thanks Martinuzz. I'll get right to it, but I'm keeping this thread open so I can ask some more if i do things wrong later.

E: Actually, what do I do with my steam version?

E2: I really have no idea what to do.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 01:52:20 pm by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 02:04:43 am »

I bought Civ4 in disc form years ago and had it on a Vista machine, where it worked fine. It simply would not install on 7. There are a number of questionably legitimate methods of installing it that are very easy to Google. So long as you've bought the game, you have some justification. Some threads with the exact same topic revealed these ideas.

*Get a compatible graphics card driver if you don't have one.
*DirectX9 is required. Also the latest one. (For some reason you need both.)
*Download a later patch and install it externally. You can't access the in-game patcher to fix this without being able to start the game.

Google around, it's been asked dozens of times.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 12:19:41 pm »

I did google around, actually. Just didn't find anything. Guess I haven't googled thorougly enough.

E: I just made a thread on the steam forums, so I hope I'll find the solution there...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 01:05:16 pm by miauw62 »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 02:00:50 pm »

Try getting a mod and using that.  For instance.  I use kmod. I set my shortcut to run kmod directly.  Kmod has its own startup files.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 02:10:42 pm »

... What is kmod? A google for it turns up a company of heroes modification, something for linux and snow mobile parts.

EDIT: Oh, and Civ 4 comes with a patch .exe in the folder, but it says that it doesn't detect a version of Civ 4.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 02:14:05 pm by miauw62 »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 02:17:29 pm »

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=407049 kmod thread.  Leads to kmod.

Place it in \beyond sword\mods under its own folder. 
Then swap shortcut to cIV to "\Beyond the Sword\Civ4BeyondSword.exe" mod="K-Mod"

Do patch civ though.  For the mod and for yourself.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=12
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 02:22:53 pm »

I posted in it! :)  is it ilegal to post or send files of that nature via email?  I'd just send you mine.

i.e. my startup files.  I know they work.
PKs DF Mod!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 02:35:17 pm »

Hmm, I could just as well just illegitemately download them then, and that would be simpler. I think I'll wait for just a little bit longer. I apreciate the help tough.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 03:12:54 pm »

Have you tried contacting Steam? With luck you won't be their first CIV4/Win7 customer and they might be able to help you out.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 07:25:58 pm »

Dude, honestly, when I can't get something to work, typically a video game, on my computer, I just delete it from my system.

You should pirate the older games, or buy them. Try Alpha Centauri. Or Age of Mythology(different developer). Actually, you SHOULD pirate them, because pure data shouldn't equate to more plastic waste. Then send a personal check to the studio.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 05:19:12 pm »

Geez, I think I may have intuitively dispersed some irony there. Try those games though, they are far more advanced than the most recent output of Civ.

(Life Advice) riiiiight

Both of those games above have multiplayer. I suggest buying Europa Universalis III Chronicles from Steam. That game is immense in scope. 1399 - 1812 as the whole world, minus very minor tribes of the time!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:51:21 pm by Bot Hack »
Pages: [1] 2