Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: You are a Gladiator: Now with RPG mechanics!  (Read 19170 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Gladiator: Now with RPG mechanics!
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2013, 02:58:56 am »

Can we add to skills with N/A?
Also do you want us to post new turns or will you go back and use our previous posts?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 08, 2013, 03:41:14 am »

Can we add to skills with N/A?
Also do you want us to post new turns or will you go back and use our previous posts?

Yes. You cannot remove a negative, but you CAN improve a non-affected skill. I would strongly reccommend Cunning (for everyone) and Speed (For non-Andabatus). For Andabatus, you might as well go for defense. But with a +8, if they don't have a +3, then they simply cannot hit you ever.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 08, 2013, 04:35:22 pm »

Yay, I don't seem to have any penalties! I can increase any skill I want!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 08, 2013, 04:37:53 pm »

I find it ironic that the classes that I get a cunning boost against are all above my character sheet.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 08, 2013, 06:47:32 pm »

Yay, I don't seem to have any penalties! I can increase any skill I want!

This is indeed the case. Your basic bonuses are not as high as that of an Andabata (which has an insanely beastly defense) or a Cestus (Which are lightning fucking fast, I'm hoping they'll get like 2-3 attacks for everyone else's 1.) but you have no real negatives. Don't expect many opponents to be actually dumb enough to slam a Andabata or strike at a Thraex's legs though.

Basically, I tried to keep some vague semblance of balance for the classes while still making them powerful in their own rights. We'll see how well I did. If any one class seems to be too powerful, I may alter your bonuses a bit to keep it fair to everyone else. :P

Everyone please post a turn after this, I'll give you all about 2-3 days to get a post out, but anyone that has lost interest and doesn't post a turn by then will be assumed to forfeit their place in game and the next person on the waitlist will be up. Please do not get upset with me, also, if your character dies in a battle and the next person in line gets a chance to play. :P That's the nature of the game. As for death mechanics, we'll be using DnD 3.5 style HP rules. At 0HP, you are unconscious but stable. At -1HP, you are bleeding to death, and require a bonusless roll to stabilize (Must roll a 5 or 6). Stabilizing with the assistance of another person let's both of you roll, with a +1 bonus on each roll. In the case of Kora, she will automatically recieve a +1 bonus to stabilize, and a +2 when trying to stabilize someone else. At -10HP, you are dead forever.

As the gladiators trained below his balcony, the Magister was counting down the days until the next Games. With so short a time, he hoped that his Doctore had taught the new gladiators well. They would soon be pitted against other gladiators in deadly games, not simple training exercises. He knew some of them would more than likely die, but he was willing to take the risk. Owning gladiators was like the greatest form of gambling there was. Either you lost thousands of denari, or you had a glorious warrior worth thousands more than the initial investment to parade about all of Rome. The Magister was not worried about losing money. He was already independantly wealthy in his own right, a high ranking noble in the complex hierarchy of Roman culture.
---
Doctore, sweat streaming down his face, called a halt to the sparring for the day. He spat out a curt order to eat and bed down for the night, then returned to his own quarters. The new gladiators had mixed in well with the veterans, who were slowly becoming more accepting and open, relatively speaking. Decimus was a jovial enough sort, always ready with a quip. The two brothers kept mostly to themselves, but they had on a few occasions displayed that they could speak Latin as well as their strange language. What little could be gathered from them was that they came from the far Northwest, far from the Mediterranean.

The quiet gladiator had also kept mostly to himself, only rarely speaking, and on those few occasions, speaking mostly with scorn for the skills of the new gladiators. What little could be gathered about him from Decimus indicated he was once the son of a prominent Roman of some sort, who had committed an unknown crime and been sentenced to damnatii gladiatorum for his crime. In training, he fought fiercer and better than all the others, and thus was rarely called upon to spar the newer fighters. The two swarthy brothers had once said they thought his father had been a general, but this was merely hearsay.

As the new gladiators came into the dining room, they all stood for a moment conversing amongst themselves, before splitting to go about their business.
(There is a cook, two guards, the other gladiators, a couple slave girls serving food, and the Magister, who is talking with a Roman Centurion about something. You may talk to any of them, but as common sense might dictate in this situation, do not insult the guards, and do not act disrespectfully to the Magister. You may choose to not talk to anyone and just eat/go to sleep, or you may choose to not eat and go outside where you might find something interesting do to in your small amount of downtime.)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2013, 06:55:47 pm »

aquire wine and 2 cups, teach rhame latin
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 08, 2013, 06:57:00 pm »

Ooh this is turning interesting.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 08, 2013, 07:57:00 pm »

Go for a walk.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2013, 11:00:53 pm »

((I assume I can already speak a little Latin. Very little, most likely, but still...))

Continue trying to learn Latin. Once I have the gist of it, try to chat with one of the slave girls.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2013, 11:23:15 pm »

((I assume I can already speak a little Latin. Very little, most likely, but still...))

Continue trying to learn Latin. Once I have the gist of it, try to chat with one of the slave girls.

((For RP purposes, we're going to assume you learn fast enough to currently be able to hold a basic conversation. Any complex concepts would escape you, but you know enough to understand the general gist of most conversations.))
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2013, 08:30:10 am »

((For RP purposes, we're going to assume you learn fast enough to currently be able to hold a basic conversation. Any complex concepts would escape you, but you know enough to understand the general gist of most conversations.))
Ah.

Continue trying to learn the intricacies of Latin; chat with the slave girls as they pass.
Sig

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2013, 04:37:13 pm »

And now everyone is at peace. Busy-busy until the dawn comes again. Supposedly, we're all here to fight and die now, like a living bet in a game of trade and plunder.

But...then, our chances of surviving are greater if we're together. Do they know I can speak? Perhaps not.

Kora decided to observe her fellow gladiators, listening to their chit-chat and perhaps, holding a quick conversation with one of the slaves in private inquiring about how the place is run, and who runs the place.

That includes the arena.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2013, 04:40:26 pm »

>Make sure the new weapons are sharp for the next battle.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2013, 04:59:18 pm »

Food! Ahahaha, of course, I couldn't win that fight because I had an empty stomach. Now, let's see about getting something to eat...

Acquire some bread and garrum, and try to speak with the brothers. Ask about some of their favorite fights, trying to earn their favor and pick up a few tips.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 10, 2013, 09:10:06 pm »

Find something to eat and drink, preferably meat and wine, maintain weapons and armour. Get used to wearing and wielding them.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13