Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: You are a Gladiator: Now with RPG mechanics!  (Read 19176 times)

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Gladiator, Turn Seven: I couldn't think of a good turn title!
« Reply #135 on: January 31, 2013, 02:47:30 am »

Name: Dominius Gordianus
Origin: Rome
Profession: Thief

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 31, 2013, 03:12:01 am »

Borno, you have been waitlisted.

Cant be vey good at that either if hes risking defeat at koras hands :P

How often has your calculus teacher done a massive calculation on your first day in class, just to show you how much better he is than you? Teachers ease you in with the easy stuff first, and show you the basics. Doctore wouldn't be a good teacher if he just beat the shit out of Kora real fast. Also, I just gave him +1 to Cunning so he wasn't highly overpowering. We'll get into, "Oh god this guy is invincible why are you such an asshole, Hans?!" later.

Also, Kaiso, the sparring up until now has taken about 21 seconds, roughly speaking. I know the turns take a long time IRL, but in game they're only a few seconds apiece.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 31, 2013, 03:37:11 am »

(So I took down my opponent in like fifteen seconds?  Sweet.)

Continue to chat with the Germanic gladiator.  Mention that I was a blacksmith in Herculaneum, south of here.  A born Roman citizen, but a faulty horseshoe for a wealthy rider ended up nearly killing said man, and I'd been working off that debt as his slave.  Tell him that when my period of indenturement was nearly over, the man sold me to a gladiator owner, which is how I came here.
Ask the Germanic gladiator about his own life.  Be friendly.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 31, 2013, 10:07:17 am »

((Huh, I did not post.

Strange. Also, don't worry about me RPing what ever circumstance happens. I can handle it.))

Knocked off balance, should follow through quickly. Expecting a quick jab to stop me.

He won't stop me.

Charge the Doctore with my shield to parry any attack made, followed by a thump of my sword against his abdomen.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 31, 2013, 05:33:08 pm »

>Dive towards the right at the last second.
>Stand up, and turn quickly
>Throw both axes
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2013, 05:40:31 pm »

Also, Kaiso, the sparring up until now has taken about 21 seconds, roughly speaking. I know the turns take a long time IRL, but in game they're only a few seconds apiece.
((I know, but Kaiso's the kind of person who gets bored really fast. He might have fun messing for someone for a few moments, but as soon as it bores him he'll try to end it as quickly as possible.))
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2013, 06:08:18 pm »

(Doctore doesn't mean Doctor. That would be medicus. Doctore means teacher. :P )
(How would he know?)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2013, 08:46:32 pm »

(He doesn't. I was simply providing some OOC knowledge.)

Speed!
Rhame surrenders his speed to Steveus.
Kaiso vs. Adnalsnah: (5+2vs2-1) Kaiso attacks three times. And um. Damn. Also, Zenzet, I realized last night that Adnalsnah is Hanslanda backwards. >.<
Kora vs. Doctore: (5vs2) Kora is first and receives two attacks.
Velligus and Ceruleaus require no speed.

Surrender.
trip rhame and press axe to throat, accept his yield

(No rolls required)

Rhame shook his head wearily, and stepped back, coming up out of his fighting crouch. He dropped his hammer to the sand, and raised his hands to the side, palms open, to signify surrender. Steveus slipped forward cautiously but swiftly, and sidestepped. As he sidestepped, he put his foot behind Rhame's foot, and jutted his shoulder forward, neatly tripping the Egyptian. Rhame slammed onto the sand, speaking rapidly in flowing Egyptian despite his damaged throat, "[I surrendered you brutish lout!]"
Steveus kneeled next to him, his axe pressed against Rhame's throat, his face set in a grim expression. Suddenly, he broke into a wide grin, and stood up, hand extended to pick Rhame off the ground. Rhame warily took the offered assistance. The Thracian said, "{You fought well, southman.}"

"Ugggh, I'm too fast to have a fight go by this slowly! No more fair play. Even these leaden weapons can do a nice number on your windpipe, so you'd better hope that the Doctore over there is a real doctor, or you might not make it to your first real fight."

Aim to smash Adnalsnah's windpipe with my daggers.
>Dive towards the right at the last second.
>Stand up, and turn quickly
>Throw both axes

(5vs3, 1vs1, 5vs6* Kaiso versus Adnalsnah)
(2vs5 Cunning)
(2+2vs2* Adnalsnah versus Kaiso)
(6vs5 Cunning)

Kaiso gritted his teeth, bored and angry at how long this fight was taking. He stabbed at Adnalsnah's abdomen, then slashed his other dagger at his throat. Adnalsnah ignored the jab, and blocked the blow aimed at his throat instead. The jabbing dagger knocked the wind out of him, but Adnalsnah was not yet finished. He blocked Kaiso's next throat-smashing slash with his other axe, then rolled to the right, along Kaiso's line of attack. Kaiso turned with Adnalsnah, and didn't recognize his intent until he realized Adnalsnah was a couple yards away now. Adnalsnah tossed his axes at Kaiso, who tried to block them, but blundered it. The wooden weapons simply bounced off Kaiso, but they left deep bruises on his collarbone and shoulder. The fast Helvetii warrior snarled at the Roman pirate, and they rushed at each other once more...
(Adnalsnah takes 20 damage. Kaiso takes 20 damage and is angered. Being angered impairs his judgement abilities, meaning he takes a -1 to cunning rolls next turn.)

Knocked off balance, should follow through quickly. Expecting a quick jab to stop me.

He won't stop me.

Charge the Doctore with my shield to parry any attack made, followed by a thump of my sword against his abdomen.

Quote from: Doctore
Reel! Draw her in! Then hit her with a headbutt!

(6vs3, 6vs6* Kora versus Doctore)
(4vs4+1 Cunning)
(3vs5* Doctore versus Kora)
(6+1vs4 Cunning)

Kora followed through with her elbow strike, twisting into a lower stance, somewhat leaned forward, her shield elbow tense and held forward. She sprang forward into a short charge as Doctore snapped forward, trying to headbutt her. Her ducked head and slight stature brought her under Doctore's head, and his chin tapped onto the top of her head as she bowled him over bodily. His teeth clicked sharply, and he bounced off the sand a moment later. Kora slipped to one side, and slammed her sword down onto Doctore's belly, and he promptly rolled over and puked into the sand. He waved her away, genuinely impressed at her swift manuevering, and stood.
He announced, "Everyone, sparring will be done for the day after the Roman and the barbarian are finished." He spat up what filth still lingered in his mouth, and dipped his head at Kora. "You have fought well, woman. Perhaps you will not die in the arena next week."

Alright Hans. I'll just retreat to a safe distance and insult his parentage.

Velligus grimaced at the Roman, and walked away, toward the knot of gladiators. As he did, he called back in Gallic at the Roman, "{Your mother was a pig-faced whore and your father was a man-loving, beardless coward.}" The soldier narrowed his eyes, recognizing that the words were insulting, but he let Velligus go, not wanting to cause a problem...

(So I took down my opponent in like fifteen seconds?  Sweet.)

Continue to chat with the Germanic gladiator.  Mention that I was a blacksmith in Herculaneum, south of here.  A born Roman citizen, but a faulty horseshoe for a wealthy rider ended up nearly killing said man, and I'd been working off that debt as his slave.  Tell him that when my period of indenturement was nearly over, the man sold me to a gladiator owner, which is how I came here.
Ask the Germanic gladiator about his own life.  Be friendly.

The Germanic gladiator nodded curtly at Ceruleaus, and said, "I was once a soldier, a warrior of one of the northern tribes. I was captured in war, so I have no debt to pay off. I sympathize with your situation, assuredly, it is quite dishonorable of a slave-owner to sell you right before you had paid off your debt, to get more money out of it." He shrugged, his piercing blue eyes seeking out Velligus. "I suggest you make friends with the Gaul, and the others that joined with you today. You will need all the friends you can get in this place..."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2013, 08:53:58 pm »

Why am I taking a -1?  I got rid of the spear at the beginning of the fight, and never attempted to get it again.

Also, did you notice the rest?

>Dodge right on his first attack
>Dodge right if he gets a second attack
>Dodge left if he gets a third attack
>Slash with sword
>Dive towards an axe
>Grab it
>Stand up
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2013, 09:05:21 pm »

acquire wine
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:35:17 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Wwolin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2013, 10:18:22 pm »

"RAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHH! You're gonna regret that!"

Thrust one dagger at his eyes, while striking him in the gut with the hilt of the other one. Try to force him away from the axes.
I meant we'd start stabbing the walls and floor for points and not just for science.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2013, 10:47:55 pm »

"[Was that some sort of insult? Um...could be anything. Prayer to dark gods? Proposal of some kind? I really need to learn the local tongue. Excuse me, what did he just say?]"
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2013, 11:15:13 am »

((Sorry for absence, exams going on, spare time to make this post.))

Kora put a hand to her nose and began stifling the flow of blood, tilting her head upwards slightly as she responded to the Doctore's statement with a nod, both in acknowledgement and as thanks in recognition of her efforts, subtly sniffing out the remnants of fluid in her nose and cleaning it nearby.

She then inquired as to what types of weapons and armor were available - especially for a lightly armed fighter who has a penchant for weapons with reach.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Gladiator, Turn Eight: I'm not doing turn names anymore!
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2013, 02:55:41 am »

Right. Let's do this.

Final Speed Roll:
(1+2 vs 5) Kaiso verus Adnalsnah, Adnalsnah goes first, recieves two attacks. Note: This is the last two people fighting. The combat will continue until one or both combatants are incapacitated.
No one else requires speed rolls.

Why am I taking a -1?  I got rid of the spear at the beginning of the fight, and never attempted to get it again.

Also, did you notice the rest?

>Dodge right on his first attack
>Dodge right if he gets a second attack
>Dodge left if he gets a third attack
>Slash with sword
>Dive towards an axe
>Grab it
>Stand up
"RAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHH! You're gonna regret that!"

Thrust one dagger at his eyes, while striking him in the gut with the hilt of the other one. Try to force him away from the axes.

First round of attacks
(6+1vs3, 4+1vs5 Adnalsnah versus Kaiso)
(3vs5* Kaiso versus Adnalsnah)
(2-1vs3 Cunning)
Second round
(2vs6 AvsK)
(2vs6 KvsA)
Third round
(2+1vs2* AvsK)
(2vs2-1 Cunning)
(2vs3* KvsA)
(5-1vs2 Cunning)
Fourth round
(2vs6 KvsA)
(3+1vs5 AvsK)
Fifth round
(2vs6 KvsA)
(6+1vs6 AvsK)
Sudden Death
(6vs2* KvsA)
(6vs1 Cunning)
(2+1vs1* AvsK)
(3vs2 Cunning)

Kaiso stumbled as he charged forward at Adnalsnah, giving Adnalsnah a half a second opening. Adnalsnah drew his sword from it's leather sheathe, and drove forward into Kaiso, sidestepping his clumsy slash easily, and smashing his sword off Kaiso's midriff forcefully. Kaiso stumbled back, trying to get enough space to strike back at Adnalsnah, but Adnalsnah pushed in. Kaiso deflected the next two swings, but his own attacks were pressed back in the storm of Adnalsnah's advance.
Adnalsnah brought his sword up, into Kaiso's armpit, pushing the fast Helvetii back, and numbing his arm. Adnalsnah swept up his axe in his off hand, and squared off again. Kaiso was prepared this time, and easily parried and dodged Adnalsnah's attacks for a moment. Then Adnalsnah stomped on Kaiso's foot, and headbutted him roughly. Blood spurted from the Helvetii's nose, and he yanked his foot out from under Adnalsnah's foot. Without giving another step, Kaiso headbutted Adnalsnah back. The already wounded Roman pirate swayed with the force of the blow, and stumbled back.
Kaiso stepped forward, driving his daggers hard at Adnalsnah's eyes, but Adnalsnah twisted his face to the side, instead getting gouged by the wooden points in the side of his cheek and on the bridge of his nose. Adnalsnah's axe swept up, and hammered into Kaiso's chin with a sharp crack.
Kaiso fell unconscious... Onto the already unconscious form of the wounded Roman.
Doctore looked on with approval, and gestured at the Medicus, saying, "Now that was a good fight. Let's get these two cleaned up and fed, shall we?

"[Was that some sort of insult? Um...could be anything. Prayer to dark gods? Proposal of some kind? I really need to learn the local tongue. Excuse me, what did he just say?]"

Rhame nodded blankly at the exuberant Thracian, hoping whatever words were spilling from his mouth were good. Steveus, for his part, pounded Rhame on the back roughly, and wandered off toward the dorms, apparently hungry.
Doctore turned to Rhame while carrying Kaiso, and said, "[He said you fought well. The two swarthy gladiators there speak Egyptian well, you should try talking to them. Or picking up some Latin.]"

acquire wine

Velligus stormed off, away from the guards, and asked the other gladiators where he could acquire wine. They pointed him vaguely toward the dormitory area, and he wandered around in there until he found a fat-bellied woman stirring a pot of stew. He asked her for wine, in broken Latin, and was surprised when she said in perfect Gaul, "{Plenty of wine in this pitcher over here. Grab a cup and get some yourself, I'm busy.}" Velligus nodded happily and started getting drunk...

((Sorry for absence, exams going on, spare time to make this post.))

Kora put a hand to her nose and began stifling the flow of blood, tilting her head upwards slightly as she responded to the Doctore's statement with a nod, both in acknowledgement and as thanks in recognition of her efforts, subtly sniffing out the remnants of fluid in her nose and cleaning it nearby.

She then inquired as to what types of weapons and armor were available - especially for a lightly armed fighter who has a penchant for weapons with reach.

Doctore smiled as he turned back from talking to the Egyptian. Kora shook blood off her hand into the sand as she followed him to the Medicus. He said, "There are several kinds of fighting styles favored by the crowds. The weapons and armor vary from fighting style to fighting style. The first is the

Andabata - Heavy Armored fighting style
Armed with a Gladius. Receives no extra bonuses to attack.
Armored with heavy manica, light greaves, and leather breastplate. Large shield. Heavy helmet. Receives +2 to all defensive bonuses given by equipment.
Recieves a -1 to speed due to heavy armor worn, but gains a +1 cunning bonus on anything that involves body checking others or resisting such maneuvers.

Secutor - Moderately Armored Fighting Style
Armed with Gladius, dagger or regional short sword. Recieves +1 to attacks from these weapon types.
Armored with one heavy manica, one light greave and a heavy rounded helmet. Medium shield Recieves +1 to defense.
Gets a +1 cunning bonus against Retiarii.

Myrmillo - Moderately Armored Fighting Style
Armed with Gladius or short sword. Receives +1 to attacks with these weapons.
One heavy manica, one light greave, heavy helmet with grille-face, medium shield. +1 to defense except against Retiarii.
+1 cunning against Thraex or Hoplomachus

Thraex -  Moderately Armored Fighting Style
Armed with Regional Short sword. +1 to attacks with such weapons.
Two heavy greaves, light helmet, small shield. +1 to defense on leg defense.
+1 speed.

Hoplomachus - Moderately Armored Fighting Style
Armed with Spear and dagger. +2 to attacks with these weapons.
Two heavy greaves, light helmet, medium shield. +1 defense on leg defense.
+1 speed. -2 defense in opponent grapples. Reach weapon.

Retiarius - Lightly Armored Fighting Style
Armed with Trident, Net, and Dagger. +1 to attacks with these weapons, +1 to cunning rolls.
One light manica, lightly padded tunic. No helmet, no shield.
+3 to speed. Faster Cunning progression. (Receives +1.5 cunning per level instead of +1) Reach weapon.

Pugiarius - Lightly Armored Fighting Style
Armed with two daggers and two throwing knives. +1 to attacks with these weapons and +1 at range attack/ranged cunning rolls.
Lightly padded tunic. Light helmet. No shield.
+3 to speed. Faster Cunning Progression.

Cestus - Lightly Armored Fighting Style
Armed with Cestus, metal boxing gloves. +1 to attacks with these weapons. +1 to close-combat rolls.
Lightly padded tunic. No helmet, no shield.
+3 to speed. Faster Cunning Progression.

(Tutorial Mode ENGAGED! Please select a single Fighting Style for your character. No going back. I will explain levels later, but for right now, you're all level one in your chosen fighting style.)

Spoiler: Players (click to show/hide)
He's fucking with us.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Gladiator, Turn Eight: I'm not doing turn names anymore!
« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2013, 03:35:56 am »

Yay roll to spartacus you are gladiator is back

grab a cup of wine for me and another for rhame, go have a drink with him and teach him some latin.

I think ill choose hoplomachus, not 100% on that but im leaning that way

We can customise the equipment we get from those slightly right?
Like taking a javelin or heavy spear or grabbing a small buckler instead of a medium shield?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13