Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 398298 times)

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1470 on: September 12, 2014, 07:02:40 pm »

5X5 is more fun. Who needs FPS anyway?*

*I hate to say it, but I'm actually completely used to playing at between 60 and 5 FPS thanks to Moltenchannels. I feel rushed at normal speed.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: September 12, 2014, 07:09:30 pm »

5X5 is more fun. Who needs FPS anyway?*

*I hate to say it, but I'm actually completely used to playing at between 60 and 5 FPS thanks to Moltenchannels. I feel rushed at normal speed.

Very well. I’ll see what orientation has the nicest map - I can have more desert with the waterfall at the eastern edge (less aquifer but with more desert) or have more of other biomes (more aquifer, less desert, potentially immediate access to trees).

Dare I push it up to 6x6?

Edit: Running some “play now” tests to check FPS. Because, like, that’s important. I expect 70FPS on embark 5x5 with temperature on with a shaft dug down in the ground. 6x6 drops to 42 before any digging.

I can turn off temperature and see what happens. I expect most people will see more FPS.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:17:56 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: September 12, 2014, 07:14:28 pm »

I'd liked to be dorfed as Ghills, profession either a crafter, cook or brewer.

I'm fine with flat or hilly. I think a smaller map is better, that way more people can take turns. The new version seems to have lots of performance problems still.

How much of the map with trees is covered with the aquifer?
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: September 12, 2014, 07:23:52 pm »

I'd liked to be dorfed as Ghills, profession either a crafter, cook or brewer.

I'm fine with flat or hilly. I think a smaller map is better, that way more people can take turns. The new version seems to have lots of performance problems still.

How much of the map with trees is covered with the aquifer?

I will check 5x5 with temperature off. Technically we shouldn’t need temperature on unless we have a fire-breathing creature attack or we start drilling magma.

The desert has saguaro ribs, while the grassland has other trees, but also has an aquifer. All of the grassland has this aquifer. There’s also no clay. The situation is “calm”. One way to place the 5x5 block has 18 tiles desert and 7 tiles grassland.

There is another location nearby which is “wilderness” and has clay, retaining waterfalls, but is entirely a tropical moist broadleaf forest (no deserts), and has aquifers everywhere.

Edit: The map is 140 z-levels deep. Uh....... maybe I should regen and hope there isn’t going to be as deep a map?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 07:30:02 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: September 12, 2014, 10:13:35 pm »

Forest fire shouldnt be a problem. we just need a device that drops the entire forest into the aquafier if shit goes wrong.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: September 13, 2014, 03:05:02 am »

The fort itself can going to grow upwards, so the embark doesn't have to be that big. So long as all the water features fit in.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: September 13, 2014, 06:21:24 am »

Temperature shouldn't be too much of a problem these days. Toady fixed a lot of FPS draining bugs.
So, you guys playing on 40.12? The FPS is a lot better in that version. Also, take my advice about the caverns?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: September 13, 2014, 11:27:02 am »

The fort itself can going to grow upwards, so the embark doesn't have to be that big. So long as all the water features fit in.

The thing with that is, upward growth = lots of air tiles. I believe I set it to the standard 15. There are 140 levels below the ground or so - it’s a deep map, even though I didn’t ask for that many tiles. Do we want to have a gigantic skyscraper and acrology, or a town sprawling across the desert dunes?

Forest fire shouldnt be a problem. we just need a device that drops the entire forest into the aquafier if shit goes wrong.

A proper dam might flood the forest. That’s a dam, not a dike, but not that it matters. A dike would be better built reclaiming land from an ocean or lake. However, a well-built dam could see more !!FUN!! options.

Edit: I’ll gen a world on 0.40.12. See how that goes. If I don’t think it’s any better I will embark on the current site.

Edit2: The world was even deeper despite the gen asking for fewer levels between layers. Guess we’re back to the older world. Do people want more desert and surface flux or more trees and aquifer?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 07:12:47 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: September 13, 2014, 07:30:58 pm »

I'm okay with trees and aquifer, as long as someone else knows how to breach one. I've only gotten through one once.

However, I would really like some sand. Glass is too useful not to use for weapon traps and magma-safe pumps.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: September 13, 2014, 07:39:08 pm »

I'm okay with trees and aquifer, as long as someone else knows how to breach one. I've only gotten through one once.

However, I would really like some sand. Glass is too useful not to use for weapon traps and magma-safe pumps.

We won’t need to breach the aquifer, because the desert hasn’t got one. I can get us a 5x5 with 7 tiles grassland with aquifer (may be a two-layer aquifer) and 18 tiles of desert, or I can do 13 tiles of desert and 12 tiles of tropical grassland.

Here’s an image of the location so you can better decide:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If people want they can provide a suggested location by MSpainting the area they’d like there and showing it.......

Also that grassland area to the north has clay too. The southern area has none. Then, clay isn’t necessarily going to justify us losing a massive amount of power, or the ability to unleash a murderflood of water with a proper dam.

The river’s direction of flow is to the South by the way.

By the way, there’s another civilisation named The Submerged Arrow. We can play as them or we can play as the Decisive Net as I have set out here. The only difference is the Decisive Net is more established, while The Submerged Arrow has a more fitting name.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 07:45:09 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: September 13, 2014, 09:34:37 pm »

Do both Civ's have iron? Just in case we don't?

If there's clay, I'd prefer more grassland. Sand doesn't run out, but clay might.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:40:35 pm by Triaxx2 »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: September 13, 2014, 09:38:06 pm »

Do they both have iron?

I believe so. When I was doing the FPS-scouting it looks like there’s limonite with the mudstone under the aquifer in the grassland. My fall-back option (so I can get the fort started today) is to have the waterfall right in the middle of the map.

Minerals are abundant. You’ll probably have any metals except for native aluminium and maybe native platinum. Just, no volcano (but plenty of wood).

Edit: You meant Civs? No idea. The Decisive Net had Iron Anvils on embark, so they probably have it. Haven’t seen the Submerged Arrow but I guess so.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:55:28 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: September 13, 2014, 09:42:11 pm »

No volcano? No problem, we'll just build our own.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: September 13, 2014, 09:45:53 pm »

Do both Civ's have iron? Just in case we don't?

If there's clay, I'd prefer more grassland. Sand doesn't run out, but clay might.

The clay is in the grassland to the far north, but not the grassland around the river. The north grassland would need a huge ass-embark, a 3x8 or 5x8 which would be rather bizarre. Clay in soil doesn’t run out, but the Kaolinite for porcelain will. Oh yeah, this is where the stream bowlhowl pours into the river chamberfill, guess we can build a porcelain dam here.

The plan is to make our own volcano I guess.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:50:30 pm by CaptainArchmage »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: September 14, 2014, 12:50:00 pm »

Alright, I’m going for the 5x5 in the location on the map indicated. I can start over (because I have the worldgen copy) if people think this is horribly bad.

Information for the roleplay:

It is the year 100. The Decisive Net is one of the dwarven civilisations in the southern hemisphere of the world, and their mountainhome is the fortress of Swampoil. The current queen, Deler Towerquested, has reigned since the year 72.

An expedition has been commissioned to a location to the east of the human hamlet of Spoonedshark, at the border between The Uncommon Desert and The Ordered Hills. There lies a great waterfall, where the stream of Bowlhowls pours into the stream Chamberfill. It is close by another dwarven civilisation known as The Curled Ropes, and will therefor serve as a link between the different dwarven civilisations. As of the expedition’s commissioning, the location is not near the necromancer towers that lie just to the north and west of the equator. The surroundings are reported as calm, which should allow civilisation to develop nicely.

Now, the person in charge of this thread should probably make a new one for Murderflood, Ardentdikes III. Preferably with a poll.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100