Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 398500 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Last one alive, pull down the levers (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1440 on: September 08, 2014, 06:07:54 pm »

Never mind that it made it bloody hard to actually find anything, or room to dig in. Perhaps a desert of some kind?

Sounds reasonable. I think I’ll gen a world using civilisation forge, but without necessarily adding in more untoward vocabulary, see how it turns out. If it really looks out of whack, I will produce another world on DF (adding untoward vocabulary back in).

If we are building a surface fort, maybe I should set the invasion thresholds higher? I’d give it a good few years to set up a surface fort, even with chopping down trees.

Edit: Error logs show errors for Civilisation Forge. The worldgen also appears to be bugged, trying out with no mods.

Edit2: No problems with standard worldgen. I’ll pack back in the untoward language if I can.

Edit3: I found a copy of the LOLMOD and added in the extra vocabulary....... and a few more things, which should not change gameplay too much, but could add in roleplay items.

Edit4: New World generated. I see calls for deserts, rivers, and an aboveground fort. I have generated this one small to keep FPS up.

Edit5: In the Dimensions of Portent, on the Sunken Continent, there’s a nice red desert to the west of the Hamlet of Spoonedshark. No volcano though, but there’s a waterfall and plenty Dolomite. How does that sound?  Oh, and there are no spoilerforts in this version of DF.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:44:36 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: September 09, 2014, 02:53:46 am »

Hmm. We could dam the falls and generate power that way without a reactor.....and have a proper superweapon using water to flush undead off the map. I like it!

Speaking of which....

...I just got DFhack's "Force Migrants" to work! Or at least, tell me that we're not attracting migrants. This is more than my previous attempts in prior turns managed.

.....We can't attract new peeps because of the mass slaughter, and the old bug is probably still gonna block stuff....... But I'll continue trying it as I get the machinery back online (IF I can get it online). I'm constructing a new vertical axle that should channel power correctly. Frankly, I could use some more dwarves to get things running again. I've got fewer than 10 able-bodied and unglitched adults, and they're not doing very much.

Edit: I also traced the cause of the Shroud failure. A forgotten beast destroyed the gear assembly at the base of the shaft. This caused a failure of the vertical axel above it, and a loss of power. I don't think the surface part of the Shroud has been damaged...but we'll find out soon, hopefully.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:58:17 am by Urist McKiwi »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: September 09, 2014, 03:06:06 am »

I think it's quite rational that no one would want to move to Moltenchannels, though it didn't stop so many people trying to invade the damn place.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: September 09, 2014, 03:14:42 am »

I think it's quite rational that no one would want to move to Moltenchannels, though it didn't stop so many people trying to invade the damn place.

Oh come on, we have a fantastic dining room, once you ignore all the blood and corpses and vomit and bones and stuff!

I've shut down the Self Destruct so I can build the new axle without killing the crew. I've also reactivated the second hospital. This takes out two dwarves who needed bedrest...but I'm hopeful that it'll pay off in a month or three.

Edit: Also I made myself chief medical dwarf, because Cutey's kinda dead for now.

Edit2: Diagnosing patients like a boss. Also, I just got the last breach patched I think. We're secure.....for now. The machinery isn't getting fixed though.

Edit3: We have 20 dwarves overall. 7 are children. One is a chained vampire. One is stuck on an "attend meeting" job and is useless as a result. And two are resting, with one attending to them. The remaining 8 are picking up random crap.

Edit4: Performing surgery. I have no idea if my patient will survive. I'd ask the nurse for a hammer, but we don't have any nurses. Ah well. What could possibly go wrong?

Edit5: Anyone know a DFhack command that forces a dwarf to cancel their current job? We could use that meeting attender.
....and the injured dwarves are very injured. Might get some function out of them, but eh....not a given.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:40:57 am by Urist McKiwi »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: September 09, 2014, 03:40:34 am »

Turns out self-immolation is a great defense mechanism and a terrible long term defense mechanism. Who knew.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: September 09, 2014, 03:41:44 am »

Turns out self-immolation is a great defense mechanism and a terrible long term defense mechanism. Who knew.

The self-immolation worked fine, thank you. It was the "let's dig lots of holes around our fort to let the goblins/FBs in for lunch" that went badly.

Edit: Ok! I've got a set of magma pumps working (NOT the shroud). Can't find the lever for them though, so yeah.

Edit2: I think the meeting-attender has gone insane. Guess we're down another dwarf.

Edit3: To clear the backlog of hauling jobs, I've used DFhack to temporarily speed things up. Since they prioritise hauling crap over building stuff, it's not really a problem.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:15:43 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: September 09, 2014, 05:50:16 pm »

Alright folks. I have repaired the Shroud of Armok and primed the Self Destruct device! One pull of the right lever, and this fortress is going bye-bye.

I intend to continue using DFhack to clean things up a bit (make it possible to reclaim if anyone wants to, and let me move dwarves out before flooding it), then in mid autumn I will activate the self destruct and end the fort with an in-character update or two. It's been a fun turn, especially once I started using DFhack to clean up some outstanding bugs that were accumulating. Also: I've now learned how to do mechanics in DF, which was always something I wanted to try.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: September 09, 2014, 06:29:57 pm »

Alright folks. I have repaired the Shroud of Armok and primed the Self Destruct device! One pull of the right lever, and this fortress is going bye-bye.

I intend to continue using DFhack to clean things up a bit (make it possible to reclaim if anyone wants to, and let me move dwarves out before flooding it), then in mid autumn I will activate the self destruct and end the fort with an in-character update or two. It's been a fun turn, especially once I started using DFhack to clean up some outstanding bugs that were accumulating. Also: I've now learned how to do mechanics in DF, which was always something I wanted to try.

Well, it was about time someone learned how to do Dwarf Fortress mechanics.

In other news, I’ll be setting up Murderflood and paying my debt to the people who took the turns I didn’t take....... after I check how FPS is doing on the various sites.

Do you have the full fortress and group name from Moltenchannels?

Does anyone have suggestions for a group name?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:32:37 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: September 09, 2014, 07:29:45 pm »

Fortress is "Moltenchannels the leaky Ardent Dike"

Civilisation was "The Strategic Bodices", group is....uh..."The Crazed Picks", I believe.

Something to do with avenging would be nice for the new group.

Oh and what d'ya know? Another siege. Guess we'll find out if I sealed the place up properly after all. It's humans, so they probably can be waited out.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:12:50 pm by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: September 09, 2014, 07:48:11 pm »

How flat do people want the new site? The random number generator has a good site with a waterfall. No volcano, but plenty of dolomite. Near the Hamlet of Spoonedshark, the stream of Bowlhowls flows into the river Chamberfills. There is no clay (unless I edit the raws) but there is plenty of Kaolinite. I can’t help but feel the RNG is telling us something.

On an older Macbook, I get 100FPS with a 3x5 (15 tiles) or a 4x4 (16 tiles) map. Unfortunately, the site is not very flat, so building an aboveground fortress will be tricky. However, the lay of the land allows a functional dam to be built.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: September 09, 2014, 08:14:00 pm »

The humans have found a way in....yet another breach. I've locked the doors, but I don't know how well that will work. Access to the power conduit has been compromised.....I'm preparing to fire the Self Destruct just in case.

Edit: 1 stray peasant killed. Outside the fort, somehow. I've successfully contained the breach, but yeah....this isn't a good situation. Preparing for final purge.
Edit2: Nevermind, they've broken through. Activating Self Destruct. Take that, human bastards! Our traps are slowing them down a little....but THIS should deal with them rather more effectively! AHAHAHAHA!
Edit3: Moltenchannels burns. I'll write up something nice in the next day or so, with screenshots. Udib chose to stay behind (I'm not kidding, he went down to the hospital to be with the crippled dude).
Edit4: 5FPS. Hoooboy. Reclaim might not be an option. :P
Edit5: And we have an ending. I'll write it up...later.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:29:03 pm by Urist McKiwi »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1451 on: September 10, 2014, 02:58:17 pm »

The humans have found a way in....yet another breach. I've locked the doors, but I don't know how well that will work. Access to the power conduit has been compromised.....I'm preparing to fire the Self Destruct just in case.

Edit: 1 stray peasant killed. Outside the fort, somehow. I've successfully contained the breach, but yeah....this isn't a good situation. Preparing for final purge.
Edit2: Nevermind, they've broken through. Activating Self Destruct. Take that, human bastards! Our traps are slowing them down a little....but THIS should deal with them rather more effectively! AHAHAHAHA!
Edit3: Moltenchannels burns. I'll write up something nice in the next day or so, with screenshots. Udib chose to stay behind (I'm not kidding, he went down to the hospital to be with the crippled dude).
Edit4: 5FPS. Hoooboy. Reclaim might not be an option. :P
Edit5: And we have an ending. I'll write it up...later.

BRAVO! BRAVO! ENCORE!
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Sounds like we’d better build a new fort, eh?

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: September 10, 2014, 04:39:30 pm »

Not just yet. I've still got to write stuff. :P
-------------------------------------------------

Diary of Urist McKiwi V: Early Summer, 1103

I don't even know what date it is now, things have been so hectic.

McDuck's army tore through the upper fortress, killing a few extra dwarves before getting cut up by our traps. Udib grabbed a crossbow and helped out, while I ran down to the levers.....to find an almost-dead forgotten beast tearing out the axle between the reactor and the Shroud. That siege was a diversion. Once the device was cut off, he dropped his control of the goblins, and they tried to flee. Only one of them made it out though. We've been working to repair the damage now....but all our engineers are dead. I think I've got this worked out though. We just need to replace a gearbox and the axle. Unfortunately, we also lost the containment drawbridge on the Northeast tower. We can't lock it down any more.

---------------

We're almost done now. We've been burying all the corpses we can. Everyone's working as fast as they can. The jogging is doing wonders for my health. I've taken to looking after our wounded. I've fixed up one out of two, but the other will need months of bedrest. Not such a good thing, but with luck we can hold out until he's good to go.

Late Summer

The repair is done, and we've repressurised the Shroud of Armok. I've also learned to perform complex surgery. Cutey was right, it is easy! We're getting everything ready to go now as soon as everyone's able to walk out. I think it will

Drums from outside. McDuck's got himself another army.

------------------------------------------End entry

One last update after this (I'm writing this one during a lecture, so have to keep it brief). That one will have screenshots. Not many though, since the game ended in a way that wasn't conducive to taking lots of them. Then an epilogue.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 04:42:51 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: September 11, 2014, 01:03:00 am »

A week later, and the situation was getting grim. A horde of human adventurers, questing to "cleanse the evils of this vile hellhole", had been no match for McDuck's ability to control minds. McKiwi ordered a ranged attack on one of the squads, but McDuck's men just pulled out of range and waited. Eventually, they saw their chance, and two of the squads vanished during the night....

Early Autumn, 1103

In New Townbrush, Ber the furnace operator was fetching more bolts for the planned retreat when he saw the child's body fall down the stairs. As he ran to help, a spray of arrows landed all around him. The humans had cut through the caverns via the passages made by the Nurse, and were moving to release McDuck! Drawing his crossbow, he ran for the one thing he knew would stop them from killing the last of his friends....

*CLUNK*

"What the-"

Urist McKiwi V looked up as the mechanisms of the pump stack and floodgate system started to move. "Oh bother.....EVERYONE! RETREAT! RETREAT! GET TO THE TOWER!"

As he grabbed the nearest dwarf and ran for the safety of the refuge, he saw the priest walk calmly down the stairs as the lava started to fill the fortress....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Udib Wastedlabor was tired. As he walked down the stairs through the fire and heat of the purge, his face was lined with the fatigue of the last few years. This was not what he'd wanted. Still, it would work. Moltenchannels would be excised from this world even more completely than Ardentdikes. And McDuck would not have a way through. But there was one last thing he needed to do.

In the hospital, the crippled dwarf lying in bed looked up as the priest entered. "Udib? What's going on? I heard shouting and-"

"McDuck has come."

"You mean the magma will..."

"I'm sorry."

The dwarf sighed. "Well....I suppose that's that then. What happens now?"

"I don't know"

Udib turned to the door as a bright blue glow pierced the room through the keyhole.

"But I suppose we will find out soon enough."

-----------------------------------------

"Where the hell is that Priest?" shouted McKiwi V. 'We don't have much more time!'

As if to underline this point, the fortress shook as a massive fireball tore through one of the central towers as the alcohol stockpiles deep below it ignited. But mixed with the red glow of the lava and fire were pinpoint beams of blue. McKiwi knew what that meant. "Shit. Alright folks! We are LEAVING! Grab what you can and RUN!"

As the dwarves ran across the plateau, the ground shook, and a deafening shriek filled the air.

"RUN!!"

A blue flash lit up the mid-day with blinding intensity for a second. Then there was silence.

DWARFFORTRESS.EXE HAS STOPPED RESPONDING

----------------------------------

After a moment, the tranquility of the newly regenerated plateau was broken:

"What....the....HELL was that?!!"

Urist McKiwi V and the other refuges blinked away the afterimage from the flash, then turned to look at what they had left.

Moltenchannels was gone, as if it had never existed.

"And..what do we do now?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ber did not make it. Neither did Udib, the vampire, all bar one of the children, a peasant, or the cripple. And possibly some others who didn't get the memo about lava and fire and stuff being a Bad Thing to Walk Through. So maybe 8-11 dwarves made it, all in all. Not bad considering. I'll post an epilogue later.....I want to have a little fun with this, for all it's a bit clunky. Through pure luck, I am the only named dwarf to survive.

I didn't expect Udib to walk back into the flames, but that's what he did. Just walked in and went to sleep next to the guy in the hospital. I actually think that's rather fitting. If he was going to die, that's the way to go.

Edits: Fixed stuff up, added extra image. That's it until the epilogue.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:18:30 am by Urist McKiwi »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: September 11, 2014, 02:30:57 am »

The Ardentdikes style:

☑ Try to build a nice aboveground fortress (nevermind the maze of underground areas)
☑ Magma dikes > Magma moats (we'll count the Shroud as a dike)
☑ A device to cleanse the fortress with magma is mandatory.
☑ Automated traps that kill enemies and innocent bystanders are awesome (crab-powered forest fires, Shroud and the corpse disposal)
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 100