Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Moltenchannel's council decisions

Our uniform shall be blood (red)
- 0 (0%)
Danger room training shall be forbidden.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 02, 2013, 10:22:42 am

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 100

Author Topic: Moltenchannels - The magma flows - FINAL TURN (Ardentdikes II)  (Read 398755 times)

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moltenchannels - Last one alive, pull down the levers (Ardentdikes II)
« Reply #1425 on: September 06, 2014, 12:18:01 pm »

There should be a flooding mechanism directly under those bodies. I believe it was designed to fill the moat, but it should work to fill the fortress.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: September 06, 2014, 08:11:54 pm »

There should be a flooding mechanism directly under those bodies. I believe it was designed to fill the moat, but it should work to fill the fortress.

I looked at it before doing that update. The pumps are there, but I can't find a way to power them (or anything around that area). So it'd need to be manually pumped..without incinerating the guy doing the pumping. Possible, but difficult. Probably easier just to breach the volcano....but I'd like to try fixing it.

Can anyone explain how the Shroud gets its power? And more importantly, where I should look in order to find it. I did trace a set of axles down into the depths, but they didn't seem to attach to anything that would create power...if I can find the power source, then I can work back from that and work out what's broken and (hopefully) fix it. I'm in early summer now, so with luck it *might* be possible to either repair the damage or seal the fortress breaches before the end of the year. In the former case, we end the fort under the terms of the rules (must have a device to flood the fortress). In the latter, it's someone else's problem. :P
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:16:33 pm by Urist McKiwi »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: September 07, 2014, 08:35:36 am »

The power for the shroud is listed as reactor Alpha, which is buried deep down, near the lower settlement. I believe it's at or around the same level as the base of the tall pumpstack I built to bring water from the cavern depths.

The pumps near the moat should have a connection to a windmill on the surface, unless it got destroyed. Which is likely, though I thought I'd removed the ramps. If the doors that separate it are removed, the big water stack will flood the fortress. The only issue is that I don't believe that stack is connected to the Alpha reactor, though I recall it not being too much of an issue.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: September 07, 2014, 06:56:29 pm »

Ok. I've traced the locations of reactors Alpha, Beta and Gamma. Reactor Alpha is still running at full power, so that rules that out as a cause.

From what I can tell, it originally sent power to the surface via a shaft full of gears next to a starcase. Given the dead FB nearby and lack of gears in most of said shaft, I suspect this is the cause of the lost power.....two destroyed parts caused the section between them to fall down and be destroyed. I'll attempt a repair, although who knows how long it'd take. I'll also shut down the Self-Destruct in the meantime.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: September 07, 2014, 06:59:56 pm »

Wow. To activate the reactor all you need to do is disconnect the water pumpstack and there should be enough to run the magma pumpstack. Once that’s done, all you need to do is open the right floodgates to flood the interior of the fortress. In future, I will try to add in more automation in such designs, so this can be done with two lever pulls.

If this turn is going to be over, I may take my turn (the one I keep skipping) to set up the new fortress. Have we got the name yet? Something like Terrordykes or The Dyke of Tentacles? Are the parameters the same (build on a volcano)? What kind of world size do you desire?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:01:31 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: September 07, 2014, 08:43:56 pm »

From what I can tell (and yeah, I suck at this), the only things that are powered are the reactors themselves (I think Beta is also generating some power), and the surface windmill. Everything's either turned off, or has lost connections. Damage has been sustained on multiple levels: the surface connections were damaged during the last siege, and the lower connections were damaged at some point before that. I'm not sure what actually triggered the Shroud failure.....I think the damage to Alpha occurred earlier, which *should* have cut it off immediately. Unless that FB wasn't quite dead, and took out the machinery a bit later. In future designs, we should physically seal off the machinery passages so that FBs can't get into them.

In terms of Ardentdikes 3 (it has an "i", not a "y"), I'd go for another volcano embark. Relatively flat if you can get it, with decent mineral abundance. Fewer undead this time would be nice. World size doesn't really matter to me. While this will be hated by the "I like more than 5FPS" crowd, I'd love a decent-sized river as well. As for the name...eh, anything that sounds cool.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: September 07, 2014, 08:54:39 pm »

Got it. What about mods? Are any mods acceptable? Anything (like extra vocabulary) you’d like to see?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: September 07, 2014, 09:08:10 pm »

My vote's for "unmodded". Anyone can pick it up that way, plus we've got enough fun new things in 0.4 without adding mods into the mix. Climbing in particular will force a change to defenses.

I *think* I can repair Reactor Alpha's connection to the Shroud. When that happens, the pump stack should start up again and repressurise the Shroud. Or I may need to reconnect some levers. If I shut off the Self Destruct it'll allow me to test it. If it works, I can reactivate the Self-Destruct and end the fort. If it doesn't, I can tunnel into the volcano and end the fort.

...Unless I run out of time. In which case...I'll probably end the fort with an abandon.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: September 07, 2014, 09:33:10 pm »

I say pull all the levers. It's like leaving a gun on the mantelpiece, the magma superweapon has to be deployed by the final act.

Commonly known by Dorfs as Chekov's Murderflood.

I know this is about over, but i'd really like to be part of the undoublty glorious and well designed civilisation that will replace this current succession.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: September 07, 2014, 09:40:31 pm »

I say pull all the levers. It's like leaving a gun on the mantelpiece, the magma superweapon has to be deployed by the final act.

Commonly known by Dorfs as Chekov's Murderflood.

I know this is about over, but i'd really like to be part of the undoublty glorious and well designed civilisation that will replace this current succession.

Welcome aboard! Please leave your sanity in the locker-room and collect your equipment from the armoury.

A lot of the series seem to have gotten a “standard mod”. For Syrupleaf, the successor to Headshoots, which was in turn the successor to Boatmurdered, it was Civilisation Forge with the Spawn of Holistic added. The Spawn of Holistic also made an entrance to the Battlefailed series. Maybe we should pick a mod set to use? We can go light and just add some useful vocabulary, or go a bit more serious.

Oh yeah! Murderflood the Dyke of Terror? Sounds like a name, what could possibly go wrong?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:02:07 pm by CaptainArchmage »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: September 07, 2014, 11:50:32 pm »

Murderflood, huh.... sounds very appropriate. Like, if you honestly know your baking is gonna result in nothing but flour mixed with chocolate anyway, migh as well accept it and call em chocolate cookies in the first place.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:55:42 pm by Taupe »

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: September 08, 2014, 10:00:56 am »

if you honestly know your baking is gonna result in nothing but flour mixed with chocolate anyway, migh as well accept it and call em chocolate cookies in the first place.

That would be Murderfood then.
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: September 08, 2014, 10:58:30 am »

Might I suggest a modding idea? If you make all subterranean creatures appear in the 1st cavern level, you can eliminate the other two, substantially boosting FPS without really altering the game in any meaningful way - except the dangers from caverns 2 and 3 are accessed sooner. This way you can keep it vanilla and hopefully keep FPS from getting ridiculously low.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: September 08, 2014, 11:13:04 am »

I'd really want to push the focus on being an above ground fortress next time, I feel this gave the fort a lot of character but was sacrificed along the way. I'm definitely in for next round.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: September 08, 2014, 04:08:04 pm »

Never mind that it made it bloody hard to actually find anything, or room to dig in. Perhaps a desert of some kind?
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 100