Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tower Cap tree farming  (Read 2668 times)

btmedic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower Cap tree farming
« on: June 04, 2008, 09:26:00 am »

ok so i built myself a pretty nifty little setup according to the wiki (with a slight modification of adding vertical bars to prevent all the frogmen/lizardmen from getting through to my farming area) usually how long do you have to wait for tower cap sprouts to well sprout? also this is being done from an undergound river 1z level below the surface of the river which is 3 z levels below the surface of the map. will this have any effect on the farm? reason i ask this is because im on a map with tons of iron, flux, other metals and adamantine, but no coal, lignite, trees or magma. i wanted a challenge   :roll:

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Cap tree farming
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 09:44:00 am »

Saplings seem to appear whenever there is enough water to sustain a tree.

Saplings take three years to grow into trees.

I hope you have a large farming room.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Duke 2.0 ]

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:47:00 am »

If your dwarves have actually discovered/penetrated the underground river, and you have a section of cavern properly muddied and ready for them to start growing, then they will eventually sprout and grow.

Just be patient. And don't smooth the floor, whatever you do.

btmedic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 09:54:00 am »

well i used tweaks reveal to find the river.....is that a bad thing? also i didn't smooth the floor, and i made sure all the tiles in the farm area were covered with 1/7 water. should i douse it again?

btmedic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 09:57:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Duke 2.0:
<STRONG>I hope you have a large farming room.
[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Duke 2.0 ]</STRONG>

my farming room is 24x24 and my filling room is 9x10 + 2 squares. its not a perfect match for 1/7 flooding as i have to open and close it up quickly 1 more time after releasing the stored water

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 10:02:00 am »

1/7 water should be fine. It'll dry up soon, leaving "muddy" ground behind.

24x24 is actually kind of small. I haven't grown Tower Caps since the old 2d version, but I'd literally hollow out thousands of squares. Imagine one or two Tower Caps per 10x10 area. Also, since you have to wait 3 years for them to mature, you might as well go for SIZE. No point in waiting 3 years to harvest 5 trees. :P

Using a cheat to reveal the location of the underground river shouldn't matter, but I do think your dwarves have to physically tunnel to it as well. Just be careful not to flood your fortress.  :D

btmedic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:14:00 am »

here's a picture of the filling room.

:D

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: btmedic ]

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: btmedic ]

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 10:32:00 am »

Yeah I suggest clearing out half the floor, then the entire floor below that. Fill the half floor with water to 7/7 from the river. Then release the water into the empty floor below it from multiple hatches and let the river keep running down. This helps avoid the problem with water drying up before it spreads to your entire level.

Also any traffic on the tile will prevent underground plants from growing. So block off the area, maybe using an access pillar with a staircase in the middle and lock the door leading off of it, until you're ready to harvest.

You can also get a bunch of free growth if you mine out all your soil, so you have underground soil areas that you can farm in. No need to get them wet, they start growing plants anyway. But remember you can't walk through those areas or you'll kill the plants.

The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 10:38:00 am »

You need much more space than 24x24. I had three 40x50 regions, and still not enough wood. Tower caps grow slowly, and they are pretty scattered on the farming grounds, maybe 3 on a 3x3 field at max.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

btmedic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 10:47:00 am »

ok theres only one area with soil on this map, and its 1 z level above the underground river. will this have any affect on growing, or will they sprout normally?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 11:44:00 am »

I'm almost sure that underground river revealed through reveal.exe won't start a script with towercaps. Just like revealed magma doesn't activate magma buildings and revealed adamantine doesn't start king arrival script.

You should get the "you have discovered a ...!" or "your miners have struck a ...!" message when the script is activated. If it happened then you're ok with underground farming. If not, no luck then. Import your wood.

[ June 04, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

btmedic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 12:07:00 pm »

i was afraid of that. what if i abandoned the fortress, then reclaimed it? would that clear it or no?

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

What's I do is save, use reveal, take note of the location, and then close DF with windows task manager.  That way, it doesn't save the fact that you saw the river, and you can tunnel to it normally.

Not 100% sure if this works with tower caps, but I've tried it with magma and I didn't have to use the magma building enabler.

All generalizations are false....including this one.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 03:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Frelock:
<STRONG>What's I do is save, use reveal, take note of the location, and then close DF with windows task manager.  That way, it doesn't save the fact that you saw the river, and you can tunnel to it normally.

Not 100% sure if this works with tower caps, but I've tried it with magma and I didn't have to use the magma building enabler.</STRONG>

That's a fine way to cheat a bit without consequences.  But the problem here is that the consequences are already in effect and he's not sure how to fix them.

I'd try the abandon-and-reclaim option.  But tunnel to the surface of the cave river cavern first and see if that doesn't kick the program off.

ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

btmedic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 07:00:00 am »

i abandoned the fortress, then reclaimed it and all the revealed tiles were back to normal. however, i didnt notice the ratmen in the farming area after i told the military to stand down. needless to say, mass chaos and hilarity assumed   :p
Pages: [1] 2