Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aide dwarves  (Read 489 times)

Gitaxias

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOSHAME]
    • View Profile
Aide dwarves
« on: January 11, 2013, 09:44:43 pm »

One thing that I know I, for one, hate, is the way that skilled craftsdwarves have to waste precious time fetching materials. It seems to me that it would be much more practical to have a sniveling worm or two around doing such things for each of those craftsdwarves who would dutifully scamper around the fort gathering raw materials for their betters.
The way I think this should work is, in the status menu, have a hotkey command like the thoughts and preferences titled "assign as aide". This command links to a screen with the name of each dwarf, from which you could select whomever you wish. After doing this, an option will appear in the labor screen titled "work as aide". When this is enabled, if the crafter would fetch materials for a task their aide will fetch those items instead, and do so for all tasks at the shop that the master dwarf has the active labors to do.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: Aide dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:51:48 pm »

Isn't it pretty much already implemented if you disabled all labors except for Hauling? Maybe, but I would it would give them a bad thought if they spent all their days hauling stuff to other dwarves that is about a few feet from them. 

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 10:42:08 pm »

Eh... not a bad idea, but it's not hard to set something like this up yourself already- just put a rock (or whatever) stockpile near the workshops and turn off all labors except the relevant one for a couple dwarves.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 10:50:20 pm »

Maybe as a later update, but I don't think this is absolutely needed if you can manually do it, just for conveience

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 11:17:54 pm »

If an apprentice system is added I'd like to see this as part of the job for an apprentice.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 12:05:26 am »

Apprenticeship for dwarf training?  The more this is developed the more I like it...

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 12:57:18 am »

I can see how it could be useful however in a well designed fortress it could be unnecessary because if designed right your dwarves wouldn't have to travel far to get their resources anyway.
Also if it was going to be added I would suggest instead of having only the aider fetching resources it would be better to have for example both the mason and the aid gathering stuff. Otherwise the mason will be waiting around doing nothing until his supplies arrive.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:59:40 am by ikachan »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 01:47:51 pm »

Apprenticeship for dwarf training?  The more this is developed the more I like it...
Agreed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.