Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothes industry and market  (Read 624 times)

calvindes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Clothes industry and market
« on: January 11, 2013, 06:25:32 am »

I've seen now that the clothing industry is finished that the dwarves tend to use their new clothes, shatter them, and keep it on their cabinet forever or save it on the stockpile filling a lot of tiles of the stock pile with useless bins of cloth rags. This by itself its a problem, because if you want to dump manually every ragged piece of cloth u'll have to search every bin for it, because they are mixed with the good ones, it's a pain in the ass -.-. The funny thing is that the caravans will see the product like if it is new, so i can sell all my rubbish and the caravan will gladly give me all their stuff for my refuse because is a masterful refuse, making the trading system a joke. I would suggest to make that the dwarves dump that clothes to the dumping place to never see them again instead of keeping or saving them and make those rags non-tradable, that will probably fix both problems.

PD: If anything is wrong tipped or something like that, it's because english it's not my mother language so, please, be kind :)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clothes industry and market
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 04:12:15 pm »

I also agree with this. Currently there really is no way to handle clothing stored in rooms. It will continue to accumulate. Forever. Until every tile in the room has dozens of tattered clothing items laying around due to all cabinets being full.

And even worse is that you can't even rely on old age to clean this up. If a dwarf has any children, their children will inherit items from their parents, so tattered pig tail socks will remain in the family for generations.

The only way I know of to clean up items is to either...

1) ...do not allow dwarves to have their own private rooms. If no one has a room, items left on the floor will have ownership revoked after a while, where it can be hauled back to a stockpile and automatically dumped into magma or into a refuse stockpile, depending on how you have your mine carts and stockpiles set up. This also causes negative thoughts due to dwarves not having their own personal rooms.
2) ...use DF hack to periodically clear ownership of clothing and order all tattered items to be dumped as garbage.

It would be nice if there was a way to self regulate clothing, so the player didn't have to manage it. Dwarves being able to automatically discard old clothing would be all that is needed. You'd still have a fortress full of old clothing, but its trivial to rig up mine carts and stockpiles to automatically dispose of unwanted items.

Helpful tip on clothing management:

By far the easiest way is to have a stockpile that accepts only clothing but no bins. It only accepts clothes and nothing else. Have a minecart sitting right next to this stockpile. It only needs a single stop. The mine cart doesn't actually go anywhere.

Order clothes to be loaded into the mine cart.

Create a refuse stockpile on the same tile of the mine cart, but have it accept no refuse. That it is a refuse stockpile is enough. Any clothing items located on top of this tile will rot, including items in containers. Mine carts count as containers.

Clothes will be hauled to the clothing stockpile and then loaded up into the mine cart. While inside the mine cart the clothes will quietly rot away to nothingness on their own. If masterwork items are destroyed the craftsdwarf will receive an unhappy thought. You will also receive an announcement about this. If a masterwork item, such as a sock, rots away on a refuse stockpile then no negative thoughts are generated. No announcement is generated either, which cuts down on spam greatly.

Do not allow the use of bins in the stockpile. Bins will get hauled to the mine cart while full of clothing. The clothing will rot away, but the bins will not. The mine cart will eventually get full of bins and no longer have any room for clothing.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:17:11 pm »

By the way, one way around the clothing accumulating forever in rooms problem that was shown to me recently is to forbid the clothes on the ground (and possibly in cabinets).  After a short while dwarves will drop ownership of the forbidden clothes, which you can then claim and they'll get processed accordingly.  If you have a refuse stockpile set up to take the clothes they'll get hauled there like clothes dropped anywhere else.

It is a hassle though, and not at all obvious.  I hope Toady at the very least fixes it so that clothes dropped in bedrooms lose ownership (arguably not a bug).  A better way to handle this in general would be greatly appreciated, but I'm not sure what that would be exactly.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:56:50 pm »

By the way, one way around the clothing accumulating forever in rooms problem that was shown to me recently is to forbid the clothes on the ground (and possibly in cabinets).  After a short while dwarves will drop ownership of the forbidden clothes, which you can then claim and they'll get processed accordingly.  If you have a refuse stockpile set up to take the clothes they'll get hauled there like clothes dropped anywhere else.

It is a hassle though, and not at all obvious.  I hope Toady at the very least fixes it so that clothes dropped in bedrooms lose ownership (arguably not a bug).  A better way to handle this in general would be greatly appreciated, but I'm not sure what that would be exactly.

Feels like just having clothes drop all ownership when they get tattered would be enough and solve it much easier? ^^

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 12:01:26 pm »

I think the easiest way would be to just have clothing that is on a floor and not carried, worn, or stored in furniture to have its ownership revoked after a few months.

This way you could build cabinets and dwarves would use them, but once cabinets are full and they start leaving clothes all over the floor, those clothes would have ownership revoked.

That is the same way as it is now, except for some reason a room currently prevents ownership from being lost. If clothes are in a room owned by a dwarf ownership is never lost, even if the dwarf is wading through a pile of tattered clothes taller than the dwarf is.