Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Old Age and Replacements  (Read 2213 times)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: Old Age and Replacements
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 03:48:49 pm »

super update.  he's currently 152, and has no skin.  he lost it to a FB. 
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 04:07:24 pm »

Take a no-name 13-year-old common peasant (may be a grower if you let all dwarves harvest).  Enlist said peasant into a one-man squad.  Arm, Armor, Danger Room, and send them alone (or with limited backup) into hellish situation after hellish situation.  if the victim is crippled or dies, repeat the process from the start.  If they gain notable kills and a title, break sieges, maim megabeasts, and "Don't care about anything anymore", you have your successor
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 04:51:49 pm »

Take a no-name 13-year-old common peasant (may be a grower if you let all dwarves harvest).  Enlist said peasant into a one-man squad.  Arm, Armor, Danger Room, and send them alone (or with limited backup) into hellish situation after hellish situation.  if the victim is crippled or dies, repeat the process from the start.  If they gain notable kills and a title, break sieges, maim megabeasts, and "Don't care about anything anymore", you have your successor
Minus the danger room part.

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 05:09:00 pm »

Or just use menacing wooden spikes. Make a DWARF out of that boy.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 06:29:49 pm »

That depends on how urgently you need your new badass.  If you're willing to wait a few years as victims prospects wash out of the program, or if you want to be starting with a Fresh Meat Squad rather than one dwarf at a time, skipping the danger room is far more dwarfy.  If you need a badass with high potential RIGHT NOW, the room helps.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 07:53:32 pm »

That depends on how urgently you need your new badass.  If you're willing to wait a few years as victims prospects wash out of the program, or if you want to be starting with a Fresh Meat Squad rather than one dwarf at a time, skipping the danger room is far more dwarfy.  If you need a badass with high potential RIGHT NOW, the room helps.

Coinstar is harder to set up and therefore more dwarfy. I am firmly a believer in only using danger rooms to fix the slowdown suffered by necromancers and vampires that join your fort. Using it for the military is like turning off invasions, but still having to dispose of bloody troll fur socks.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 11:46:38 pm »

I like Delta's idea, however, most of our Forgotten Beasts call Level 3 their home.

This makes it so much better.  A hunting expedition to the depths, in search of the forgotten beasts that lurk below.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 12:14:52 am »

Coinstar is harder to set up and therefore more dwarfy. I am firmly a believer in only using danger rooms to fix the slowdown suffered by necromancers and vampires that join your fort. Using it for the military is like turning off invasions, but still having to dispose of bloody troll fur socks.

Coinstar would serve the proper purpose of hitting baseline competency, so that you'll end up with an un-maimed hyper-badass in a dozen or so attempts rather than a few score.

I tend to danger room myself, but not liberally: either a starting 3-5 man squad (When I gen stupidly young worlds and nobody spawns with anything better than novice biter) or a single Champion if fend off ambushes some other way.  Military seem to train at an exponential rate: if you're whole squad is skilled enough to be counted weaponsdwarves, they'll spar and build their skill to the point where they can stand toe-to-toe with goblins and not get crushed in a few months.  A badass or two leading demonstrations will get their squads up to competance in a year or so, but Armok help you if you've got nobody who doesn't count as a recruit... I've never seen a recruit squad pull itself out of the gutter, even training year-round.  If that's all I've got it's DRing at least one dwarf or using cage traps for early defense (Dwarfier traps take time to set up), and I have a deep-seated hatred of Cage Traps.

Coinstar is a promising alternative, though... I might use it in my next fort, If I don't hunt down a sandy volcano for serrated green glass disc x10 grinders.  And like you say, it's more dwarfy.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 12:40:56 am »

Or you could always force him to remove everything he has, and then get crushed/melted when no one else is looking.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 [2]