Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Old Age and Replacements  (Read 2218 times)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Old Age and Replacements
« on: January 10, 2013, 09:41:04 pm »

My military consists of people who've had kills before migrating here.  All 10 of the melee, and all 5 of the ranged. All of the melee are in their good 130's, except their leader.  At the moment, he's 149.  Killed a dragon, many necromancers, a few minotaurs, and countless goblins and trolls.  Over 140, actually.   Besmar Pagetrades, the Faction of Trumpets.  He has an artifact coffin that made of goblin bone, which he will be put to rest in.  My question is, who should replace him?  My entire military is legendary in their weapon, and are all legendary fighters.  Do I pick a civillian with previous kills, or should I take the Duke and Duchess Consort's daughter, who is native-born and of pure noble blood, to be the Captain of the Guard and lead this squad?  Thoughts guys?
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Old Age and Replacements
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 10:30:15 pm »

Might depend on the relationships in the fortress.  If you want a "clan" feel, maybe you should start organizing your squads by lineages.   In which case the CotG being the Duke's family makes sense.  If the mayor has appointed a Champion they can lead a squad of that lineage, and so forth.

Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 08:35:12 am »

149 is not too old. Dwarfs have a life expectancy of 150-170, so he will probably kick ass for several years more.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 09:49:22 am »

But 140 is the time to start determining who his replacement will be, so you are ready when he dies of old age. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 01:31:44 pm »

But 140 is the time to start determining who his replacement will be, so you are ready when he dies of old age. ;)
Trust me when I say this; old age is a Dwarven myth.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 02:28:28 pm »

Not so Mr whispers, Not so!

I have seen the wretched abomination first hand... the initial 7, loved by all, slowly succumb to death by inches, and plunge the fortress into chaos at their passing!

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 03:36:37 pm »

Yeah, I know 150 doesn't guarantee death, but I need to plan now, as every year, his clock will tick slower and slower.  He has no children, and as my cap is reached, will not have any.  I specifically picked him when this fort was started, as he came in the 1st Wave, because he had 40 other Goblin Kills.  Most kills in the fort, and he still holds the record.  I dunno what to do.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 04:16:37 pm »

Force him to marry and have a child as soon as possible. Pick a placeholder until the child grows. When the child is an adult, have him/her become the Captain.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 04:51:19 pm »

Why not just hand it over to the dwarf with the next-most kills or seniority in the guard?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 05:01:20 pm »

Trial by blood: Upon his death, arrange a Guard Expedition into the caverns (preferably level three) to slay some monsters. The dwarf who most distinguishes himself that day shall be proclaimed Captain of the Guard.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 11:31:01 am »

Rabid, he's married. I've reached my population cap.  If I increase the child cap, he may pop a child, but so will 20 other couples.  I like Delta's idea, however, most of our Forgotten Beasts call Level 3 their home.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 11:37:35 am »

Why would you let him die of old age ? Send him to battle one last time and let him die honorably !

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 11:41:35 am »

He's wearing most of our fort's strange mood stuff.  Might be un-retrievable, besides, I want him in one piece.  If a siege comes, i'll send him.  I'm more concerned about the replacement, though.  Even if I move a current squadmember up into his place, who will fill that gap?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 01:26:37 pm »

He's wearing most of our fort's strange mood stuff.  Might be un-retrievable, besides, I want him in one piece.  If a siege comes, i'll send him.  I'm more concerned about the replacement, though.  Even if I move a current squadmember up into his place, who will fill that gap?

Having reached the popcap you should have enough good-for-nothing haulers to promote into the guard. With luck you'll find someone who's already skilled in warfare, but even a total greenhorn should be able to get his bearings after a few years of active service.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 03:18:13 pm »

Who's your most skilled miner?
Pages: [1] 2