Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Contact with Influenza this year?

No flu, unvaccinated, don't know anybody with flu.
- 46 (48.4%)
No flu, unvaccinated, know somebody with flu.
- 12 (12.6%)
No flu, vaccinated, don't know anybody with flu.
- 21 (22.1%)
No flu, vaccinated, know somebody with flu.
- 6 (6.3%)
Caught flu, unvaccinated, don't know anybody with flu.
- 3 (3.2%)
Caught flu, unvaccinated, know somebody with flu.
- 4 (4.2%)
Caught flu, vaccinated, don't know anybody with flu.
- 2 (2.1%)
Caught flu, vaccinated, know somebody with flu.
- 1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Influenza Epidemic  (Read 5021 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Influenza Epidemic
« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2013, 04:31:29 pm »

Vitamin A is perhaps the most often dangerous, but that's because there are a number of large mammals who carry human-lethal amounts of it in their bodies. Don't ever eat bear liver.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2013, 04:32:10 pm »

Regardless, flue shots do have a ramp up time. While getting one might help, it's a lot less likely at this point.

Now if he'd gotten one several /months/ ago.

There's a certain folly to it, in that CDC has to guess what the predominant strain of the virus will be several months beforehand. Wrong strain? Vaccines wind up being mostly useless.
That... doesn't seem much like a folly to me. It has a purpose, it's just not guaranteed to succeed. A folly is something that has no intended function beyond appearance. Like many TSA security procedures! Follies are fake, vaccines are real. That just aren't effective against everything 100%.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 11, 2013, 06:53:29 pm »

I never get flu shots, I find that eating lots of garlic prevents flu just fine.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 11, 2013, 06:57:38 pm »

I'll never understand this, I've gotten the flu, and yes you feel like crap but... its not that bad

I've had it dozen of times, never understand why pepole get scared of it
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 11, 2013, 07:07:00 pm »

I'll never understand this, I've gotten the flu, and yes you feel like crap but... its not that bad

Because it kills people?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2013, 07:11:01 pm »

I know someone who has a phobia about vomiting.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2013, 07:17:07 pm »

Because it kills people?
Only the very old and very young.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Silicoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2013, 07:23:42 pm »

I never get flu shots, I find that eating lots of garlic prevents flu just fine.
It also doubles as an effective anti-vampire agent and tastes pretty good in meals to boot.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2013, 07:25:09 pm »

That sounds very questionable at best.

Because it kills people?
Only the very old and very young.
Not really. They are more vulnerable, but so is anybody with an autoimmune disorder, a preexisting (even minor) disease, pregnancy, or unhealthy lungs. There are also occasionally people who just get unlucky and develop pneumonia despite no risk factor. Influenza kills a couple hundred thousand people every year, according to the estimates of World Health Organization (getting exact numbers are hard, because many places don't recognize influenza deaths as influenza deaths specifically).
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2013, 07:39:52 pm »

I am genuinely wondering if you've actually had the flu dozens of times, or if you've just confused it with a cold. I've had the flu three times in my adult life, and it was pretty memorable. I do have asthma, however.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2013, 08:55:34 pm »

People can't infect you if they stay far away from you.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2013, 08:59:15 pm »

People can't infect you if they stay far away from you.
Oh. I thought you were going all homeopathicremedynewage on me. (And upon google searching, there are indeed people who think that garlic literally protects you from catching influenza through herbal magic.)
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2013, 11:28:57 pm »

As always, the logical extreme of this is never showering ever, which for some reason is still not conducive to your health.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2013, 01:04:34 am »

Nonsense. The TRUE solution is to shower thoroughly for an hour every day, scrubbing with iron wool, and then applying Skunk Musk brand "deodorant" when you're finished. Between the scars and the odor, nobody will come near you!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2013, 01:11:19 am »

Nonsense. The TRUE solution is to shower thoroughly for an hour every day, scrubbing with iron wool, and then applying Skunk Musk brand "deodorant" when you're finished. Between the scars and the odor, nobody will come near you!
Fire works better.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7