Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Contact with Influenza this year?

No flu, unvaccinated, don't know anybody with flu.
- 46 (48.4%)
No flu, unvaccinated, know somebody with flu.
- 12 (12.6%)
No flu, vaccinated, don't know anybody with flu.
- 21 (22.1%)
No flu, vaccinated, know somebody with flu.
- 6 (6.3%)
Caught flu, unvaccinated, don't know anybody with flu.
- 3 (3.2%)
Caught flu, unvaccinated, know somebody with flu.
- 4 (4.2%)
Caught flu, vaccinated, don't know anybody with flu.
- 2 (2.1%)
Caught flu, vaccinated, know somebody with flu.
- 1 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Influenza Epidemic  (Read 5009 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Influenza Epidemic
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2013, 12:52:32 pm »

Hmm....dawned on me that B12 might have abnormally low flu rates because we tend to be antisocial misfits who eschew being around other people in meatspace.  :-\
What is "people?"
People is Soylent Green.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2013, 01:16:18 pm »

Hmm....dawned on me that B12 might have abnormally low flu rates because we tend to be antisocial misfits who eschew being around other people in meatspace.  :-\
Oh well, at least when the zombie apocalypse/universal pandemic comes by we'll survive it.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2013, 01:47:19 pm »

Fortunately, where I work sells OTC cold/flu medicine and packets of Emergen-C drink mix which has insane amounts of Vitamin C.
Vitamin C doesn't protect you from influenza. Also, insane amounts of vitamin C are pointless. You can only absorb 100% of your daily vitamin C needs, no more. To quote a certain high school teacher of mine, you are paying to have very expensive pee.

I am in school I am guarenteed to come into contact with the flu as soon as it hits here... and given my immune system I am pretty much going to get sick.
You could, you know, get a vaccination.

Speaking of that, I've noticed we finally have a vaccine failure in the poll.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2013, 01:49:16 pm »

I'm more surprised at how there's three people who got sick yet don't know any sick people. I mean, unless you get philosophical or something...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2013, 02:26:46 pm »

I'm more surprised at how there's three people who got sick yet don't know any sick people. I mean, unless you get philosophical or something...
Got sick from strangers? Filthy, unhygenic strangers.....okay, this may be WHY we're antisocial.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2013, 02:27:32 pm »

----*point*--->

(head)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2013, 04:03:17 pm »

You could, you know, get a vaccination

Psh... No. By the time I get a shot I'll already have the flu and have cured it myself.

Also I am pretty aware of the folly of Flu shots.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2013, 04:04:21 pm »

You could, you know, get a vaccination
Psh... No. By the time I get a shot I'll already have the flu and have cured it myself.
Somebody's a defeatist. It's no wonder you get sick if you do nothing to prevent it.
Also I am pretty aware of the folly of Flu shots.
There's no folly in flu shots.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2013, 04:06:31 pm »

You're wrong MetalSlimeHunt, absolutely everything is rubbish.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2013, 04:07:28 pm »

You're right, we should just burn all the medicine.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2013, 04:10:07 pm »

There's a certain folly to it, in that CDC has to guess what the predominant strain of the virus will be several months beforehand. Wrong strain? Vaccines wind up being mostly useless.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2013, 04:11:20 pm »

There's a certain folly to it, in that CDC has to guess what the predominant strain of the virus will be several months beforehand. Wrong strain? Vaccines wind up being mostly useless.
Their track record has thus far been pretty good. For all the hype, we've yet to have a repeat of the Spanish Flu.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2013, 04:15:49 pm »

Their track record has thus far been pretty good. For all the hype, we've yet to have a repeat of the Spanish Flu.

If there is another Spanish Flu I can tell you a flu shot will be useless against it.

We already have what we predict COULD be the next spanish flu and we have no vaccine for it yet.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2013, 04:20:48 pm »

If there is another Spanish Flu I can tell you a flu shot will be useless against it.
That's an interesting assertion to make, considering that it is a complete unknown dependent upon the actions of the CDC.
We already have what we predict COULD be the next spanish flu and we have no vaccine for it yet.
Que?
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2013, 04:29:27 pm »

Fortunately, where I work sells OTC cold/flu medicine and packets of Emergen-C drink mix which has insane amounts of Vitamin C.
Vitamin C doesn't protect you from influenza. Also, insane amounts of vitamin C are pointless. You can only absorb 100% of your daily vitamin C needs, no more. To quote a certain high school teacher of mine, you are paying to have very expensive pee.
Vitamin D can be stored in the liver when consumed in excess of possible use... Again, it can also kill you. Er... Vitamins.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7