Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: Pokemon X & Y  (Read 36909 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon X & Y
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2013, 09:18:15 pm »

Soon they're going to start naming Pokemon games after objects.
I'll wait until Pokemon: Potato, Cabbage, and Radish come out.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2013, 09:23:04 pm »

Just about every game that has more than one iteration follows the same formula.
It's one thing to follow a well-known, likeable formula for a few games. It's another thing to release a new game almost every year for more than 10 years that works in exactly the same way with practically no variation in gameplay.

This is the same reason I tend to dislike sports games.
Sounds like you're thinking in leap years, then. Or you've mixed up [shooter] with pokemon. Spin-offs not counting, you don't get a pokemon game every year.
That's why I said "almost every year". There were no games released in 2002, 2006, and 2008. Every other year between 1998 and 2013, there was at least one game released. You can go ahead and check yourself - I did my homework.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 09, 2013, 09:23:29 pm »

But the spinoffs don't really count because they have entirely different gameplay.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2013, 09:24:52 pm »

But the spinoffs don't really count because they have entirely different gameplay.

EXACTLY ONE doesn't. Dark Lugia

Or rather exactly one spin off actually has very similar gameplay. To the extent where they honestly could have made it a standard pokemon release.

Surprised everyone hated that game so much.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2013, 09:25:51 pm »

Eh, I admit, I forgot to take the stadium type games into account, but apart from thoses...
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2013, 09:26:41 pm »

Eh, I admit, I forgot to take the stadium type games into account, but apart from thoses...

And Dark Lugia

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2013, 09:28:03 pm »

I count Colloseum and Gale of Darkness among stadium games most of the time since they're technically in the same spinoff chain, even if they do stand out by having a plot and the snag thing.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:42 pm »

I count Colloseum and Gale of Darkness among stadium games most of the time since they're technically in the same spinoff chain, even if they do stand out by having a plot and the snag thing.

Somewhat... Except that Gale of Darkness didn't involve a Tournament. While Colloseum to my knowledge was just a story inside a colloseum.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2013, 09:31:33 pm »

Actually Colosseum was kinda not involving Colosseums that much now that I think about it. But I was referring to the quality of 3D game that you can use to battle with your handhelds in higher graphics by connecting to it type thing.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2013, 09:43:47 pm »

Thing is, even when I say that there was a game released every year from 1998-2013, excluding three years, I'm talking about the main, well-known portable ones, starting with Red and Blue. I'm not including any of the spinoffs at all.
They really have been pushing the games too much.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2013, 09:48:45 pm »

Eitherway, you might as well say the same thing about final fantasy, general modern shooters, or sports games. Things iterate, some of them get nowhere because the iteration is based outside of the game (sports games), some of them get better (Psychic pokemon are not the undisputed king of pokemon battles and haven't been for ages, and the elemental punches are actually based on, well, punching instead of the special stat). Some of them get longer but debatably better.

Game Freak isn't exactly known for making non-pokemon games anyway. They have made them, but when was the last time you heard about them?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 09:51:02 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2013, 10:22:58 pm »

I guess you could say the same thing about shooters in general (and yes, I dislike the insane amount of shooters as well) and games like final fantasy. But final fantasy at least changed its battle scheme a couple times, and their storyline didn't always involve some sort of gang named "team something" that's trying to capture (a) legendary creature(s) and take over the world. Every. Single. Time.

The thing is, Pokemon isn't a genre. It's a game series. And at the rate they're making these games which are all practically identical to each other in formula, it's just getting a little ridiculous.

I have played several games myself (Yellow, Fire Red, Pearl) and the formula, while fun, gets boring after a while, not to mention the recent Pokemon have been looking dumber and dumber lately, and I get the feeling that the minds behind the creatures are running out of ideas. I just think they should cool off and try something different, or at least change their gameplay and try to make something new and exciting... not follow the same old pattern over and over.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2013, 11:17:36 pm »

I guess you could say the same thing about shooters in general (and yes, I dislike the insane amount of shooters as well) and games like final fantasy. But final fantasy at least changed its battle scheme a couple times, and their storyline didn't always involve some sort of gang named "team something" that's trying to capture (a) legendary creature(s) and take over the world. Every. Single. Time.

The thing is, Pokemon isn't a genre. It's a game series. And at the rate they're making these games which are all practically identical to each other in formula, it's just getting a little ridiculous.

I have played several games myself (Yellow, Fire Red, Pearl) and the formula, while fun, gets boring after a while, not to mention the recent Pokemon have been looking dumber and dumber lately, and I get the feeling that the minds behind the creatures are running out of ideas. I just think they should cool off and try something different, or at least change their gameplay and try to make something new and exciting... not follow the same old pattern over and over.

Then maybe some radically different side titles that make some sense, like PMD and Conquest might be of some interest to you.

And I kind of agree on the running out of idea part, but my cutoff point was Gen IV instead of II. It's still too early to judge Gen VI, but what we have now does not look too bad so far.

And, as far as I know, there was indeed some major changes scheduled for Gen II,but didn't got through for fear of fandom backlash. And later there are some changes like the physical-special split in Gen IV, but nothing too major.

And finally, there is another uncomfortable truth: Most of the posters here, including me, are already beyond the intended age group of the franchise. And the choices are limited for Gamefreak to keep at their intended target and stay mostly true with their Gen I and II era veteran fans.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2013, 11:24:07 pm »

Game Freak aren't exactly ignoring the rest of us, especially not the metagame scene. You can spot the changes that are more for competitive balance than anything if you look close enough (or just read enough).

They aren't exactly aiming for older people either, but this is also in effect, most of the time.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2013, 11:29:53 pm »

I'm curious as to how the Plot will turn out for this gen

They really started to work on the plot in Gen 5, and I liked it.

They're changing a bit from the, "We are evil group x, and we want to abuse the power of y/'s." While that's still the core, it definitely was a step up in gen 5.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19