Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: Pokemon X & Y  (Read 36887 times)

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon X & Y
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2013, 12:25:47 am »

BW2 didn't fix nothing. It is how the games generally go.

They will have a new release which will focus on the new pokemon throwing the old ones away (at least after Gold and Silver). Then it will have its REAL game where they actually try.

It just happened to be that instead of "Fire Red" or "Soul Silver" they called it Black 2 and White 2.

Meaning that if I wanted the new Pokemon I'd skip X and Y and wait until the REAL game several months or a year later.
BW2 did fix something. BW were good games, their main problem was the lack of useful Pokémon, which BW2 fixed. While it's true that it's similar to the way Crystal, Emerald and Platinum handled stuff, it did still technically fix a problem in the original games.

You could argue that those problems are purposefully there so Nintendo can sell an additional game to "fix" them, the same way every triple-A game seems to have scary high amounts of DLC, but that's just the way it's been. It's a stupid way of doing it, but it clearly works.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2013, 12:28:45 am »

You could argue that those problems are purposefully there so Nintendo can sell an additional game to "fix" them

Arn't they not even pretending this is not the case?

X and Y are like sneak previews. Z is going to be the one that takes X and Y and expands on it to make it good.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2013, 12:31:49 am »

You could argue that those problems are purposefully there so Nintendo can sell an additional game to "fix" them

Arn't they not even pretending this is not the case?

X and Y are like sneak previews. Z is going to be the one that takes X and Y and expands on it to make it good.
Yeah, I agree with you, it's a stupid business model. I still find myself buying at least two games every generation, though, if only for my collection. Saying that BW2 didn't fix anything though isn't true, since it did add what BW lacked - doesn't matter if it was omitted on purpose.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2013, 12:33:09 am »

Well I guess what I meant was... that BnW2 wasn't a fix itself.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2013, 01:03:52 am »

You know what I miss? I miss seeing my Pokemon follow me at the back. I played this Pokemon clone way back as a kid called Dragon Warrior Monsters for the Game Boy and you had your monsters following you around at all times and you could talk to them. It made me really happy as a kid.

In any case, I'd probably give this a pass until the next version or when the 3DS gets hacked (hopefully). Still enjoying Black and White 2 and considering how I can only play 2 hours max a day... it's taking me quite awhile.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2013, 01:14:44 am »

It did that in one of the games uhh Heart Gold and Soul Silver I think.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Eisenritter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2013, 01:15:23 am »

You know what I miss? I miss seeing my Pokemon follow me at the back. I played this Pokemon clone way back as a kid called Dragon Warrior Monsters for the Game Boy and you had your monsters following you around at all times and you could talk to them. It made me really happy as a kid.

In any case, I'd probably give this a pass until the next version or when the 3DS gets hacked (hopefully). Still enjoying Black and White 2 and considering how I can only play 2 hours max a day... it's taking me quite awhile.

This isn't a clone.  Dragon Quest did it FIRST.  >:(

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2013, 01:41:59 am »

I loved Dragon Warrior Monsters. I think I played the GBC sequel. I really liked how you could breed monsters to get new monsters instead of just baby versions of what you had before. And there were really rare combinations you basically had to chain breed into.

I really like breeding games. It's one of the biggest things I think Pokemon could do a lot better.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2013, 02:32:41 am »

Breeding system like that would quickly get out of hand when there are, like, 750-800 of them, and I don't really think the current portfolio of Pokémon species really allow that. Just imagine what will happen if you can, say, breed a Politoed and a Toxicroak together and get a Froakie.

However, some details like being able to breed for a particular pattern on a Spinda, or breeding the same Eeveelution will give a chance of getting the same Eeveelution at birth would probably be good.

And I miss HGSS's follower system, too. That was a nice touch.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2013, 02:46:18 am »

I loved having my Graveler follow me around, and interacting with it was great. He'd jump in front of me to use Strength on some boulders, gaze towards mountain ranges, give me free shit, it was great. It was also pretty rad having my Poliwhirl pop out of a Pokeball and dive into the water for me to ride on. (The surfing pokemon sprite looks like a facedown Poliwhirl anyway, so... pretty rad.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2013, 03:31:37 am »

Breeding system like that would quickly get out of hand when there are, like, 750-800 of them, and I don't really think the current portfolio of Pokémon species really allow that. Just imagine what will happen if you can, say, breed a Politoed and a Toxicroak together and get a Froakie.

However, some details like being able to breed for a particular pattern on a Spinda, or breeding the same Eeveelution will give a chance of getting the same Eeveelution at birth would probably be good.

Yeah, most of this is too ingrained to change. I should have said this is what Pokemon could have done better. There are just some nice things I like to think about that could have been done, but would be way too disruptive to implement now that the series is so established.

Not everything is, though. I just want them to go ahead and say that breeding a Wobuffet always yields a Wynaut instead of bogging us down with all the ridiculous incenses and stuff. That could be done pretty easily. If they need an in-game explanation, just say that they've developed new caring techniques at the daycare or something.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2013, 04:12:38 am »

The name 'Yvern' has been going around for the Y-legendary, but I have yet to hear a clever nickname for the X-thing. Ideas?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2013, 04:19:58 am »

..Xirizion?

Just kidding. :P

EDIT: And this:

I am pumped about this.

Spoiler: Starters (click to show/hide)
Obviously there's the fire/water/grass trio going on, but some folks have noticed a reverse effectiveness possibility.
Fennekin used some sort of psychic move that resembled psywave or confusion. So, Fire/Psychic.
Chespin used a dark-tinted claw attack that I would guess as Night Slash or Shadow Claw. Grass/Dark. (Though it sure isn't a Shiftry.)
Froakie is... well, it has gloves and I think that was Close Combat it used. Maybe it'll look more like a fighter later. Water/Fighting.

Psychic > Fighting > Dark > Psychic as well as Fire < Water < Grass < Fire. Neat, eh?

I'm just glad that fox thing is unlikely to turn into another fire/fighting type. Though I'd call it 50/50 that Gamefreak goes a-trollin' and gives it a popout fist or something in its third evolution. I'll probably be going with Froakie to keep parity. I've done Charizard, Meganium, Swampert, Infernape, Serperior, so it feels right to choose Froakie.

While such a reverse counter loop would be smart, there are still some evidence against it. Like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wait...It's still somewhat of a reverse counter loop assuming that your other assumptions are true: Fire/Psychic<Dark/Grass<Ice(/Water)<=Fire/Psychic.

For me, as long as Fennekin's evolutions looked more like Ninetales than Purugly, I'm okay with it.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:51:28 am by JWNoctis »
Adept Lurker

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2013, 04:51:14 am »

Now if only it not be Fire/Water/Grass now that be something different well besides yellow.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2013, 05:00:49 am »

Now if only it not be Fire/Water/Grass now that be something different well besides yellow.

If you count in side series, Colosseum had Psychic+Dark and XD had Water/Electric/Fire/Psychic/Dark.

And yes, a Psychic/Dark/Fighting starter set would be very different, probably good, and likely controversial.

EDIT:
The name 'Yvern' has been going around for the Y-legendary, but I have yet to hear a clever nickname for the X-thing. Ideas?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:02:28 am by JWNoctis »
Adept Lurker
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19