Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: Pokemon X & Y  (Read 36885 times)

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon X & Y
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 07:51:52 pm »

It doesn't look too rushed when you compare the time between Gen I(American release) and Gen II, or Gen II and Gen III. It's the 5th Generation that broke the cycle.

And I miss Hoenn, too. Then again, the look between main series game from Gen III to Gen V is not all that different compared to older generations versus their remake. But now we have a full 3D facelift.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 08:19:16 pm »

What I'm disappointed in is the lack of Ruby and Sapphire remakes. I suppose the purpose of the remakes was so you could get all the old Pokemon, due to there being a transfer gap between gen 2 and 3.

This Gen also feels a bit rushed, it's been what, 2 years? Gen 4 lasted 5 freaking years.

Gen 1: 1996
Gen 2: 1999
Gen 3: 2002
Gen 4: 2006
Gen 5: 2010
Gen 6: 2013

The average time between generations before this was 3.5 years, and this one is a three year gap. That's not rushed at all.

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 08:22:06 pm »

It's all about that Pokemon Blue
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 09:01:36 pm »

I'm not certain if I would get a Nintendo 3DS for this game. As far as I'm concerned the last good generation of Pokémon was on the Gameboy Advance, with Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. Then again I'm still upset about Pokémon Black and White making it near impossible to have any of my favorites without using the internet with my Nintendo DS or by owning one of the previous games.

I want my damn Gardevoir, Delcatty, Clefable, Butterfree, Blastoise, Bellossom, Mawile, Sneasel, and Pikachu, among others that I was unable to get and enjoy properly with Black and White. The only ones that I really enjoyed in Pokémon White were Volcarona, Leavanny, Lilligant, Gigalith and Samurott.

I don't know. I just really wish that they would give some love to the people that have been with this franchise since the beginning. I guess I feel entitled since I started with Pokémon Blue back in 1996 and played through every generation except the fourth one.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 09:03:24 pm »

*manages to hold back rant about my anti-nostalgia opinions*

I'm a terrible arguer and don't have time so I'm just gonna mention that I've been around since the beginning I've been enjoying the games more and more which each passing generation
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:08:33 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 09:06:13 pm »

Its possible to trade pokemon up generations, to an extent. And finding them sometimes. And the GTS, though needing to have seen a pokemon to find it in that makes it somewhat useless. For the rest, theres find anything in grass AR codes. (unless you want to use them in non-local wi-fi)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 09:12:28 pm »

Its possible to trade pokemon up generations, to an extent. And finding them sometimes. And the GTS, though needing to have seen a pokemon to find it in that makes it somewhat useless. For the rest, theres find anything in grass AR codes. (unless you want to use them in non-local wi-fi)
It isn't possible to do anything with those things if you don't have friends who play Pokémon or the money to get the older games, nor a connection that will let you enjoy the wireless features. I honestly hate how Pokémon are traded wirelessly now. I miss the days where you used a link cable to trade your Caterpie for a Weedle, or to evolve your Graveler into a Golem. It's a shame that innovation has made the trading of Pokémon less personal.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 09:18:24 pm »

You can still trade in person using the C-Gear buttons. Just pointing out about the less personal thing since I did read the first part of your post too.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:20:03 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 09:21:24 pm »

Wireless includes the function of the DS called that too, you know. Its not restricted to wifi trades, though your lack of pokemon friends (and I assume lack of 2 DSes) make that a moot clarification.

You can still trade in person using the C-Gear buttons. Just pointing out about the less personal thing since I did read the first part of your post too.
The C-Gear sucks in compatibility compared to the Union Room. (see my above post on IR not working properly)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 09:22:50 pm »

Wireless includes the function of the DS called that too, you know. Its not restricted to wifi trades, though your lack of pokemon friends (and I assume lack of 2 DSes) make that a moot clarification.

The C-Gear sucks in compatibility compared to the Union Room. (see my above post on IR not working properly)

*me rubs the back out the head since I don't quite remember what was it you do to trade* my cousin and I use the C-Gear for our stuff. Ours seems to be working fine.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:24:44 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 09:27:40 pm »

You go in the union room, walk to the other person (most likely three steps or less), and pick trade from the menu.  The C-Gear does work (him and his friend who also has one of the B2/W2 games have traded plenty of stuff), but it seems to break if you try to connect B1 with B2, or vice versa.

I don't have B2 or W2 because I haven't finished HeartGold and B1. I've been busy playing everything else, more or less.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2013, 09:28:45 pm »

Isn't the same thing still possible? If I've not mistaken Just bring the handhelds together and anything that's used to be done can be done minus the physical link...Yeah, it does feel less personal if you put it that way.

And if you didn't play Gen IV...Well, at least for me the last "good" generation was Gen IV. I know opinions may differ.

And three four more posts while I'm writing this. Woo.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2013, 11:40:49 pm »

Gen 3 was mixed for me. I really like the Pokemon designs and a lot of the new features, but I dislike the continent. So I'm fine just seeing Gen 3 Pokemon without actually having to go back to Hoenn.

Gen 4 was probably the most mediocre generation, minus HS/SS because nostalgia. Gen 5 had a really nice reboot feel to it, and I like how it forced them to make alternates to Pokemon that were getting a bit stale. It was silly how we got a new Rattata every generation but it took them 14 years to make an alternate Zubat.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2013, 12:04:19 am »

In my opinion Gen 3 was by a long shot the best generation in basically all aspects. I like the Pokémon a lot, the region is cool, even the anime was better than the others gens.

When people say "hurr durr rbgy wer best" it's pretty obvious it's just the nostalgia talking, because to be honest RBGY are by far the worst. When they came out they were awesome, and they're still good games, but in comparison the other games just have so much more. GSC basically just adds another region on top as well as a ton of new Pokemon, as well as a lot of small things you can do other than battling - gathering apricorns, for example.

Not everyone liked the Pokémon design in RSE, but I think it's done well. The Pokémon don't look too complex, but they're more than boulders with arms. There's a lot of variety, and a healthy amount of legendaries that don't seem like they're only there to fill up space. Even then the games manage to give the player lots of exploration to do, in the form of the hidden Regi caves, Sky Pillar (in the case of Ruby and Sapphire), Mirage Island and tons of other things.

The remakes of RBGY, FireRed and LeafGreen, were nice. It was cool to replay the old world in modern graphics, and the addition of the Sevii Islands and several elements from more recent games gave it a nice mixture of recognition and surprise. I didn't enjoy the remakes as much as RSE, but they were still decent games.

DPP is where it sort of went downhill, in my opinion. The large amount of legendaries didn't feel natural. There were a decent amount of legendaries in RSE too, but they all felt like they had a purpose, or otherwise were very difficult to find without a guide, such as the Regi trio. However in DPP Pokémon like Heatran and Manaphy made a debut, and they just didn't feel "legendary" to me. The region itself felt more modern than in previous games, with a lot of ... metal everywhere, which didn't really feel welcome after playing through the previous games.

The GSC remakes were another story, though. The games kept the traditional look of the original GSC while adding a lot more to do and of course, compatibility with newer games. I didn't play these as much as DPP, but I still enjoyed them more.

Theeeeen there's White and Black. While they just continued to modernize the look of the game as well as playing with the camera angle in ways that make me nauseous, I still liked them. The lack of Pokémon from previous generations was a little annoying since Gen 5 doesn't have a lot of familiar type combinations - it seems like Nintendo were going for new, weird combinations that haven't been introduced before. This would be cool, but I'd still have loved some familiar faces to fill my party with.

BW2 fixed this problem by introducing older Pokémon to the wild, which I think makes it superior to its prequel. I like the fact that you actually live in a city as opposed to a town with three houses, as well as the idea that Unova is completely fucked up. It blows new life into the region and makes it cool to explore it again. I did think the story felt a lot longer in BW2 which I'm not really a fan of - I feel Team Plasma's ambitions were already explored to their full extent in BW. A lot of the things you have to do in the story was very tedious, too, such as the stuff aboard the huge zeppelin thing Team Plasma uses.

In conclusion I think the Pokémon games rank like this, in order from worst to best: RBGY - DPP - FRLG - GSC - BW - HGSS - BW2 - RSE
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 12:09:54 am by Absolute Niro »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2013, 12:16:35 am »

BW2 didn't fix nothing. It is how the games generally go.

They will have a new release which will focus on the new pokemon throwing the old ones away (at least after Gold and Silver). Then it will have its REAL game where they actually try.

It just happened to be that instead of "Fire Red" or "Soul Silver" they called it Black 2 and White 2.

Meaning that if I wanted the new Pokemon I'd skip X and Y and wait until the REAL game several months or a year later.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19