Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19

Author Topic: Pokemon X & Y  (Read 36849 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon X & Y
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2013, 11:43:23 am »

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."
-- The Fourth Johto Elite Four, Karen

Which, sadly, doesn't work all that well in metagame.

One of the reason reasons I don't dedicate too much to metagaming. Although it can be fun and rewarding.
That picture I posted earlier was of my team of NU (Never Used) Pokemon, plus Quagsire. (From RU, or Rarely Used.) I was fighting in the Ubers tier, and I won. I win about 1/3 to 1/2 of my matches with that team in Ubers, which isn't a great ratio, but I enjoy using weaker Pokemon to their best potential. Quagsire with Water Absorb completely shuts down Kyogre, who is otherwise bar-none the most powerful Pokemon in the game. Quagsire with Unaware doesn't give a fuck about your Calm Mind Deoxys or your Swords Dance Arceus. It laughs in the face of Speed Boost Blaziken. Its weakness? Grass. Particularly Ferrothorn. So I have a Miltank with Sap Sipper. Switch into the inevitable grass move, power up attack, return the favor with Fire Punch. As far as defenses go, Miltank is not Blissey. But with Milk Drink, passable defenses, and Heal Bell, it's hard to outstall. I've outstalled a Giratina with that bad motherfucker. My revenge killer and occasional lead on that team is John Kreese the Sawk. (He follows the ideology of 'Strike first, strike hard, no mercy!) No form of Kyurem can stop his Close Combat. No form of Deoxys can survive his Payback without a focus sash. (Since with Sturdy, he will survive their first Psychic attack.) Ninjask is mainly for boosting my other Pokemon, but can pack a surprising punch with X-scissor. Enemy psychic types often expect me to just stall for speed and wind up with a face full of pain. Relicanth is for breaking walls. Head Smash is powerful enough to 2HKO a Groudon without boosts. He is only let down by his speed. Hence the Ninjask. Swellow is for sweeping without boosting. Guts plus a toxic orb, Brave Bird and Facade will take out just about anything that doesn't resist them both. And even then, he'll do some damage. U-turn can give me some momentum. (Instantly swapping Quagsire in to take a hit from Kyogre, swapping in Quagsire to take a hit from Zekrom, swapping in Quagsire to take a hit from Heatran...)

They are not more powerful Pokemon, but their movesets and IVs are tailored very specifically to function in Ubers. They have just enough speed IVs to outspeed the Pokemon they need to, so that the rest can be put into either attack or defense, depending on their role. It requires a lot of specialization, so naturally this team doesn't work very well in RU.

A for EV training, I haven't done it with very many Pokemon in-game. Just my Bullet Punch Scizor, my Subpunch Breloom, my Ultimate Critical Absol, and my End of All Things (Scarf) Kyogre. I didn't bother getting 31's across the board, so Breloom and Absol have random stats. Kyogre was savescummed a bit until his speed was at least 25. Scizor wasn't bred for IVs, but somehow wound up with everything at least 25. (And 31s in attack and speed, which are just about the only stats that matter for him anyhow.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2013, 12:33:26 pm »

Not likely now w/o flipping the stuff out and dispersing almost the entirety of veteran fandom - me included. There's no such measure as greatness in the world of metagaming, and Pokémon franchise has been known for its largely well-maintained internal consistency within the game series.

But that's where spin-off titles comes in. Conquest is better in this aspect, PMD series had no trainers to begin with, and Ranger series is another flavor entirely.

Ehhhh... They are always trying so hard to be Pokemon that they often forget to be "better" games first.
Hey, nothing against PMD!

I played ranger too, but I don't remember a lot of it. Not even the entire name. Except for one section where you had to sneak past guards. I guess it was a fine game, but there wasn't much to do after you completed it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2013, 12:41:02 pm »

I can EV train. That's easy. You can EV train a team of six in a few days with the right items.

IV breeding is what's awful. If you get two Pokemon with perfect 31 IVs in all stats, their odds of having a baby with perfect IVs are 1 in 32768. These are the best possible odds for getting a perfect IV baby.

Note that this is impossible to test at level 1. So for every baby you'll have to rare candy it up a few levels and then reset the game to test the next one.

This is pretty much my biggest gripe with Pokemon. The competitive barrier is hundreds of hours of egg grinding.
Isn't this the whole reason smogon made online battlers and so forth? So you could fight without taking ages ingame to get what you were going to use.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2013, 12:43:58 pm »

Erm, Barb, Quagsire is in OU in 5th gen. Probably has something to do with Unaware.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2013, 12:57:01 pm »

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."
-- The Fourth Johto Elite Four, Karen

Which, sadly, doesn't work all that well in metagame.

One of the reason reasons I don't dedicate too much to metagaming. Although it can be fun and rewarding.
That picture I posted earlier was of my team of NU (Never Used) Pokemon, plus Quagsire. (From RU, or Rarely Used.) I was fighting in the Ubers tier, and I won. I win about 1/3 to 1/2 of my matches with that team in Ubers, which isn't a great ratio, but I enjoy using weaker Pokemon to their best potential. Quagsire with Water Absorb completely shuts down Kyogre, who is otherwise bar-none the most powerful Pokemon in the game. Quagsire with Unaware doesn't give a fuck about your Calm Mind Deoxys or your Swords Dance Arceus. It laughs in the face of Speed Boost Blaziken. Its weakness? Grass. Particularly Ferrothorn. So I have a Miltank with Sap Sipper. Switch into the inevitable grass move, power up attack, return the favor with Fire Punch. As far as defenses go, Miltank is not Blissey. But with Milk Drink, passable defenses, and Heal Bell, it's hard to outstall. I've outstalled a Giratina with that bad motherfucker. My revenge killer and occasional lead on that team is John Kreese the Sawk. (He follows the ideology of 'Strike first, strike hard, no mercy!) No form of Kyurem can stop his Close Combat. No form of Deoxys can survive his Payback without a focus sash. (Since with Sturdy, he will survive their first Psychic attack.) Ninjask is mainly for boosting my other Pokemon, but can pack a surprising punch with X-scissor. Enemy psychic types often expect me to just stall for speed and wind up with a face full of pain. Relicanth is for breaking walls. Head Smash is powerful enough to 2HKO a Groudon without boosts. He is only let down by his speed. Hence the Ninjask. Swellow is for sweeping without boosting. Guts plus a toxic orb, Brave Bird and Facade will take out just about anything that doesn't resist them both. And even then, he'll do some damage. U-turn can give me some momentum. (Instantly swapping Quagsire in to take a hit from Kyogre, swapping in Quagsire to take a hit from Zekrom, swapping in Quagsire to take a hit from Heatran...)

They are not more powerful Pokemon, but their movesets and IVs are tailored very specifically to function in Ubers. They have just enough speed IVs to outspeed the Pokemon they need to, so that the rest can be put into either attack or defense, depending on their role. It requires a lot of specialization, so naturally this team doesn't work very well in RU.

A for EV training, I haven't done it with very many Pokemon in-game. Just my Bullet Punch Scizor, my Subpunch Breloom, my Ultimate Critical Absol, and my End of All Things (Scarf) Kyogre. I didn't bother getting 31's across the board, so Breloom and Absol have random stats. Kyogre was savescummed a bit until his speed was at least 25. Scizor wasn't bred for IVs, but somehow wound up with everything at least 25. (And 31s in attack and speed, which are just about the only stats that matter for him anyhow.)

Makes sense. You are truly well-versed in this. And can't wait for your Nuzlocke LP, too!

Erm, Barb, Quagsire is in OU in 5th gen. Probably has something to do with Unaware.

Yeah, Dream World had uplifted a lot of 'mons from disuse. A few more I can remember for now is OU Magic Bounce Espeon & Xatu, and the now-über Speed Boost Blaziken.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2013, 01:14:13 pm »

(He follows the ideology of 'Strike first, strike hard, no mercy!)
Seeing them surrender with more than half of their team left is just hilarious. Especially the first one where "COME AT ME DAWG" is met with a disconnect.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2013, 01:19:30 pm »

Punch Kyurem in snout to establish dominance.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2013, 08:16:12 pm »

As much as I would love that (Quagsire is my bro forever), he is sadly still in RU. He has strategies written for OU and UU as well because he has the capability to be used there, but he is not banned from lower tiers.

Dream world is one of my favorite parts of Gen 5. There are some previously kinda lame Pokemon that just got completely overhauled. Ditto is not only useful now, but one of the best revenge killers in the game. Why? He doesn't have to use Transform the first turn. He just automatically switches thanks to Impostor. Give him a choice scarf, and he's like your enemy but faster. He even copies stat boosts. Do you see the enemy Salamence dragon-dancing to impossible heights? Switch in Infernape. Let him boost while you pretend to be setup bait. He kills Infernape, you switch in Ditto. Fully boosted, but 50% faster.

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIII-

Anyhow, new information on X and Y is out. Guess what? The starters are all monotype for their first evolution. No Bulbasaur shenanigans here!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Totally called it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 14, 2013, 08:18:29 pm »

I want to call some of these starters on being stupid (well just two of them)... but you never know with pokemon.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 14, 2013, 09:00:13 pm »

Expected since Bulbasaur is the only starter to start with a secondary type in all these years. However...Well, I want to see some evolutions.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 14, 2013, 09:34:44 pm »

Holy crap you guys take your Pokemon seriously.

All I do is go...

"Oooh! It's a Grimer! I'll use this! I know this one evolves into something funny!"

"Oooh! Magnemite! Does this evolve? No idea but I like him."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 14, 2013, 09:38:37 pm »

All I do is go...

"Oooh! It's a Grimer! I'll use this! I know this one evolves into something funny!"

...+1.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 14, 2013, 10:18:02 pm »

This is why I watch Slowflake's pokemon LPs. I get to see how someone else plays it when they have a specific team in mind (instead of my hodgepodge of a team that more than likely involves my fire starter until I decide who to keep leveling near the end), and I get assorted metagame infos and other pokemon-related news at the same time.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2013, 04:48:25 pm »

All I do is go...

I only take Hoenn's pokemon seriously because I know what all of them do. If you know what all of the Pokemon do, then there's no discovery involved. There's just the strategy.

Oh, and Baton Pass pulls some of the funniest stuff in all of the Pokemon games. Seriously, that move is silly. Is there a game that has Baton Pass as a TM?
Also often called Boowells.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2013, 05:09:59 pm »

All I do is go...

I only take Hoenn's pokemon seriously because I know what all of them do. If you know what all of the Pokemon do, then there's no discovery involved. There's just the strategy.

Oh, and Baton Pass pulls some of the funniest stuff in all of the Pokemon games. Seriously, that move is silly. Is there a game that has Baton Pass as a TM?

Unfortunately, Baton Pass isn't available as a TM. Would be awesome, though, it really is one of the most hilarious moves in the game if used correctly.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19