Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19

Author Topic: Pokemon X & Y  (Read 36869 times)

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon X & Y
« Reply #180 on: January 13, 2013, 01:10:10 am »

I doubt it'll have as many as the two previous generations, those had way too many. Yveltal and Xerneas (taking the names from memory here, don't judge if they're wrong!) look so awesome I have a feeling the rest of the legendaries will be as cool.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 13, 2013, 01:11:18 am »

So the most common legendary types seem to be Psychic first and Dragon, apperantly, next.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2013, 07:16:17 am »

Pokemon 2000 was a bit chaotic, and the plot wasn't particularly novel, but hot damn did it have a good soundtrack. Lugia's Song is a good piece of music all on its own, much less as background music. And then there was the greatest prophecy ever.

*Problems happen.*
"The world will turn to Ash."
*Ash fixes everything.*

Seriously, it doesn't get any better than that.

Spell of the Unown (#3), Celebi: Voice of the Forest (#4), and Heroes: Latios and Latias all had fairly varied plots, and all had good moments. Spell of the Unown had motherfuckin' Charizard come help, as Charizard was wont to do. Some real creativity was shown when passing through a regenerating crystal wall. Charizard blasted a hole in it, then Squirtle's water spit poured through to keep it from regenerating while the crew all swam through the hole. Genius. Voice of the Forest had time-travel and a young Professor Oak, so it couldn't be all bad. Just about the last one where Jesse and James did anything notably villainous. Heroes was let down by the fact that the 'impending doom' of - get this - one Aerodactyl was the main villain. Seriously. An Aerodactyl. Also some crazy flooding, but that should have been impossible. The whole sea level would have to rise to drown the island the way they showed it. Nonetheless, the moment that Latios sacrificed himself to make another Soul Dew and protect the island was pretty deep, if a little corny.

And then you had Jirachi: Wish Maker (#6), which tried to follow in the footsteps of Lugia's Song with May's Lullaby. It's just fucking bad. And it's about Max, who is objectively the worst. Nobody liked Max. And now there's a magical sky-fairy that grants him all his wishes while managing to be almost as obnoxious as Max himself. Admittedly, it had a pretty neat ending battle with pseudonatural Groudon, though the random Flygon that showed up for Ash to ride really should have been Charizard. (I mean, at least that deus ex machina is well established and makes some sort of sense.)

Destiny Deoxys was a good movie, which is saying something for Pokemon movies. They pumped it out in a little under 6 months. The Deoxys invasion was actually pretty eery, and the movie had an actually dangerous villain. The futuristic city turning on its inhabitants was pretty well done. (Who wasn't a villain in the end after all, what a tweest!) Also had Rayquaza doing his Rayquaza thing, which is apparently fucking up interstellar travelers. The intro was just great. Deoxys crashes into the planet and has an apocalyptic battle with Rayquaza right from the get-go. It ends, appropriately, with Rayquaza beating the living shit out of Deoxys, who had to spend four years regenerating to try that again.

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew had a plot, at least. It could have used 'aura' about a hundred fewer times, but a plot it was nonetheless. The flashback to the ancient war was pretty interesting for a Pokemon movie, though it was a tad silly that the Blue kingdom had just one Lucario and trainer for a military. As far as legends go, it was pretty fleshed out. Max said almost nothing.

Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea was fairly awful. There wasn't really a narrative, though there was a fun part with a water Pokemon circus. It featured May pretty heavily, which isn't a great thing. That also meant Max got some lines, which was terrible.

I'll summarize/review the rest later. The movies immediately after those were a little forgettable, so I'll have to check my notes.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2013, 07:28:08 am »

Alright, now I'm sure that it was Pokémon 2000. I recognize that song. Jeez, I must have been like 5 when I saw that movie.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 13, 2013, 08:29:58 am »

Did you have an unpleasant experience with Max? :P

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 13, 2013, 08:44:13 am »

It's hard to argue with a movie that politicians and pizza magnates turn to when they're down.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 13, 2013, 04:45:36 pm »

There aren't enough Ghost legendaries. Giratina is lame.
Blasphemy!
Flying shadow demon kicks ass.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 13, 2013, 07:33:31 pm »

I just want more bug pokemon. I feel like they've been ramping them up recently and I'm excited for what they could do with the next generation. There are so many types of bugs in the world to draw inspiration from, and I think it shows with how unique all the bugs are. I feel like they could make a thousand bug pokemon and still keep pumping out unique ones.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 13, 2013, 07:52:05 pm »

I just want more bug pokemon. I feel like they've been ramping them up recently and I'm excited for what they could do with the next generation. There are so many types of bugs in the world to draw inspiration from, and I think it shows with how unique all the bugs are. I feel like they could make a thousand bug pokemon and still keep pumping out unique ones.

Yeah but the problem is that Bugs suffer from their gimic a LOT!

Which is that Bugs are meant to cap out early giving you strong pokemon very fast but not nessisarily in the long run. Hense why out of all the bug pokemon there ever was only one was good and another is broken because of a specific ability it has that was added much later.

It means that there will never be a bug heavy pokemon.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2013, 07:53:41 pm »

Also, your bug/steel legendary has twice the normal weakness to fire as a normal bug type.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 13, 2013, 08:07:32 pm »

Yeah but the problem is that Bugs suffer from their gimic a LOT!

Which is that Bugs are meant to cap out early giving you strong pokemon very fast but not nessisarily in the long run. Hense why out of all the bug pokemon there ever was only one was good and another is broken because of a specific ability it has that was added much later.

It means that there will never be a bug heavy pokemon.

Venomoth and Pinsir and Scyther from Gen I say EXCUSE ME! XD

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2013, 08:09:46 pm »

Venomoth and Pinsir and Scyther from Gen I say EXCUSE ME!

Yeah those are all great examples of exactly what I mean.

Except Pinsir, I think that was the one that got an ability in later generations for a 100% chance sleep spore. With Heracross being the only good bug pokemon for legitimate reasons.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 13, 2013, 08:28:00 pm »

a) Spore is 100% accurate to begin with, and Parasect (EDIT: or Paras) is the only bug type that learns it.
b) Volcarona.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:33:10 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 13, 2013, 08:32:14 pm »

a) Spore is 100% accurate to begin with, and Parasect is the only bug type that learns it.
b) Volcarona.

Ahh there we go! Parasect!

Volcarona is a genuinly good Bug pokemon?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 13, 2013, 08:37:20 pm »

Base 135 special attack says yes, and Quiver Dance agrees.

Volcarona sort of does the exact opposite of most bugs - it's Magikarp power until level 59, then absolute shitwrecking.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 19