Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why can't I set labor preferences for one of my migrants?  (Read 1441 times)

flarn2006

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why can't I set labor preferences for one of my migrants?
« on: January 06, 2013, 10:05:42 pm »

So I just got my first wave of migrants in a new fortress, and something weird happened. Three migrants came, but one of them appears as an @ sign (like the outpost liaison) instead of a smiley face. She's not doing any work, and when I open the Units list, she doesn't show up under Citizens, but under Other instead. She had probably come from a previous fortress I made, as her profession name is a custom one I sometimes use. In addition to appearing under Other rather than Citizens, instead of listing her current job, it just says Friendly. Is this a bug, or just something I hadn't seen until now?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 10:08:25 pm by flarn2006 »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Why can't I set labor preferences for one of my migrants?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:59:18 pm »

It's a bug. What you've got there is a migrant who's one of the merchants you've had on the map before, but her flags haven't been set properly to make her a proper migrant. She should leave with the next caravan.

The major irritation with these migrants is that they don't move from their starting tile, meaning that other migrants can't get through. They'll move if attacked by something, but then you'll possibly get a whole load of proper migrants running headfirst into whatever spooked the @ dwarf.

You can fix this with DFHack and its 'tweak fixmigrant' command.

Edit: Or maybe they just have Appraisal as their highest skill. Either way, the game confuses them for traders.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:01:47 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 11:37:26 pm »

Just consider that one`s labor preference to be "goblin ambush spotter"'
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:29:15 am »

Haha, migrant plugs.

I recommend constructing a support as close to her as you can, then build constructed floors above it. Then link said support to a lever far away, and pull it. That'll get her moving. Or dead. Either way, plug pulled.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 11:11:56 am »

Edit: Or maybe they just have Appraisal as their highest skill. Either way, the game confuses them for traders.
You had it right the first time - there's nothing special about the Appraisal skill other than merchants seemingly getting a lot of it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 11:15:13 am »

She's a merchant, though I have no idea why she has a custom profession.
Just let her stay around the map for an ambush spotter, or kill her if she block other migrants' path.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

flarn2006

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 12:09:50 pm »

Haha, migrant plugs.

I recommend constructing a support as close to her as you can, then build constructed floors above it. Then link said support to a lever far away, and pull it. That'll get her moving. Or dead. Either way, plug pulled.

That does sound fun, but unfortunately she's right next to my food stockpile. Also, the idea of a cave-in in my main dining room isn't that appealing. I have DFHack, so I'll just use that command. Thanks!
EDIT: That didn't work. Also, she is moving, just not much.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:16:41 pm by flarn2006 »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 12:50:53 pm »

Drawbridges falling into place make an excellent substitution for a cave in.

If she is moving, see if she will obey a burrow. (Worth a shot.) If she doesn't, just direct her migration path with obstacles, and lead her into the "unfortunate accident machine". (A drawbridge placed over a small room's floor, right on the floor, with 2 lockable doors. Dwarf seeks path through the room, due to obstacles. Pause game as soon as she enters, lock the doors. Pull the lever. Also useful as a designatable burrow for suspected vampirical undead migrants.) Just be aware that this method of death prevents discovery of the body, and can lead to scary ghost merchants and vampire ghosts.  Have slabbing teams standing by.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 01:07:31 pm »

In what way didn't it work? Did you get any sort of error message from the DFHack console?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

flarn2006

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:01:05 am »

It just didn't give me any message at all.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 05:52:30 am »

might be 'tweak fixmigrants'

iirc if you type 'tweak' you get a list of possible tweaks and fixes

or maybe it was just 'fixmigrant(s)'
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 06:34:03 am »

Nah, it's "tweak fixmigrant" I use it all the time on broken migrants.

Make sure you've got the culprit selected in-game with the 'v'iew unit cursor before you run the command.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.