Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The guideline for magic/combat should be "how do i shot web".  (Read 2357 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The guideline for magic/combat should be "how do i shot web".
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 02:24:08 am »

I find that format impenetrable so I'll just respond to the relevant things

You seem to be talking about something in which you are either completely unable to do it or "a perfect master," not something it takes skill to learn how to do.

Right, I am offering that the current system of "Know or do not know" magic be another possibility to add to the pool. Power by revelation and not by exercise.

More like the "Deadly magic is deadly, so make sure you're careful before you learn control."

When it needs to be put into practice it becomes "Useless deadly magic" which has been suggested many times before. If magic is an academic study and you can gain enough skill just by reading books on the subject to avoid the "Useless" phase then it leaves Useless Deadly magic.

Which is of course not what was suggested and I am not going to lean that far to make that idea work when it is obvious what the suggestor meant.

I call that idea stupid and suited only for media which don't care about making learning magic how learning any art so delicate should be

It is a power gained by revelation. In knowing and not by practice or study. If there is practice or study it is to attempt to gain that skill or knowledge but there is no degree.

In otherwords it is the same as knowing someone's True Name. Once you know the secrets of life and death they are open to you.

Oh, and BTW? That's how PCs' magic in 99% of video games works--you learn a spell, then it's perfect. Not so original...

No, it is kinda how none of them work.

It actually is a lot more "magical" to boot. Given that it is power by revelation rather then power by doing calculous in your head or power by waving your hands.

((Incidentally, one thing I like about DF is that anyone can try anything if they could reasonably have learned how to do that. Magic shouldn't be 100% limited until some arbitrary point, then you get 110% of it

Necromancy in its current isn't magic magic. It is Arcane knowledge, which yes is another term for magic, or rather it is magic outside hermetic systems and are pure extensions of the will rather then incantation.

It is such a great idea to offer this form of Necromancy as opposed to "Raise undead spell" and "Zombie spell" that I am pushing it as a viable form for the future.

Especially since the "Know or do not know" system is actually outright more magical. Something people constantly complain about. You either know the secrets of life and death, a forbidden knowledge given only by dieties for some unknown reason, or you do not. Those who know it command it and those who do not do not. There is no degree in power because it is power over death, knowing the secrets of life and death bestow it inherantly.

---

As well Vampires shouldn't need a "Feeding" skill. There are some things that should be inborn traits and abilities that do not require a skill to use. A vampire should already possess perfect knowledge on how to use their fangs.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 07:25:49 pm »

I find that format impenetrable so I'll just respond to the relevant things
Why is that?

You seem to be talking about something in which you are either completely unable to do it or "a perfect master," not something it takes skill to learn how to do.
Right, I am offering that the current system of "Know or do not know" magic be another possibility to add to the pool. Power by revelation and not by exercise.
Problem is, "learning" power like that doesn't make sense. Even if you were granted the power by some god (plausible), you'd either need to learn how to do it or invoke the deity's personal intervention to actually do stuff. Assume necromancy follows this model: If you just wave your hand to raise the dead, you'll raise a lot of random half-decayed bits of rat and stuff until you learn how to control the power better, and if there's more (like a mental ritual to unlock some inner strength or something) you need to learn how to do it. The learning curve may be shallow, but it's there.

More like the "Deadly magic is deadly, so make sure you're careful before you learn control."
When it needs to be put into practice it becomes "Useless deadly magic" which has been suggested many times before. If magic is an academic study and you can gain enough skill just by reading books on the subject to avoid the "Useless" phase then it leaves Useless Deadly magic.
What's the problem with this?

I call that idea stupid and suited only for media which don't care about making learning magic how learning any art so delicate should be
It is a power gained by revelation. In knowing and not by practice or study. If there is practice or study it is to attempt to gain that skill or knowledge but there is no degree.
Sure, if magic is granted by gift. If it's meant to be studied to learn it...

In otherwords it is the same as knowing someone's True Name. Once you know the secrets of life and death they are open to you.
All the knowledge of true names in the universe won't help you if you if you can't use any kind of magic. You still need some learning, if only to make sure you don't accidentally use magic.

Oh, and BTW? That's how PCs' magic in 99% of video games works--you learn a spell, then it's perfect. Not so original...
No, it is kinda how none of them work.
I've played some RPGs, and I don't remember any of them having new levels of a specific spell. New spells? Sure, but that's different that what I said.

It actually is a lot more "magical" to boot. Given that it is power by revelation rather then power by doing calculous in your head or power by waving your hands.
If your definiton of "magical" is "utterly inexplicable," sure.

((Incidentally, one thing I like about DF is that anyone can try anything if they could reasonably have learned how to do that. Magic shouldn't be 100% limited until some arbitrary point, then you get 110% of it
Necromancy in its current isn't magic magic. It is Arcane knowledge, which yes is another term for magic, or rather it is magic outside hermetic systems and are pure extensions of the will rather then incantation.
Arcane magic is magic. You're assuming that current!necromancy is 1.0!necromancy, an annoying fallacy which is used almost everywhere.

It is such a great idea to offer this form of Necromancy as opposed to "Raise undead spell" and "Zombie spell" that I am pushing it as a viable form for the future.
It is, however, basically that. Read the tablet, and you can use animate dead at will.

Especially since the "Know or do not know" system is actually outright more magical. Something people constantly complain about. You either know the secrets of life and death, a forbidden knowledge given only by dieties for some unknown reason, or you do not. Those who know it command it and those who do not do not. There is no degree in power because it is power over death, knowing the secrets of life and death bestow it inherantly.
See above. It depends on your definition of "magical."

As well Vampires shouldn't need a "Feeding" skill. There are some things that should be inborn traits and abilities that do not require a skill to use. A vampire should already possess perfect knowledge on how to use their fangs.
Why? I can see a vampire knowing "I need to bite peoples' necks kinda like this," but not "Here's a way I can feed off a person to keep him alive even with a bit less blood," or "I need to remember to secrete that anesthesia before biting next time." The basics? Sure, those can be innate. The details? Not so much.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 08:28:22 pm »

No one would have magic...

That much is understandable.

No one would learn "Kill myself skill unless I manage to not die 100 times"-No-Jutsu

Problem is, "learning" power like that doesn't make sense

Makes perfect sense. It is revealing the true nature of things and as such with that knowledge you gain what others do not which is the ability to manipulate it. Nothing more then complete knowledge of this will suffice.

In otherwords it is magic, actual magic. The context of real magic and not magic as a quasimechanical skill.

Why is that?

Response as a quote

Confused as to what you mean

All the knowledge of true names in the universe won't help you if you if you can't use any kind of magic. You still need some learning, if only to make sure you don't accidentally use magic

Silly Rabit. The True Name "IS" magic. If you know the true name of a creature and you use it, you ARE using magic. There is no skill required no degree of skill required. You either know the true name or you do not.

I've played some RPGs, and I don't remember any of them having new levels of a specific spell. New spells? Sure, but that's different that what I said

Necromancy isn't a spell. So the equivilant would be an entire magical system.

If your definiton of "magical" is "utterly inexplicable," sure

It is rather easy to understand. Though it is by far more philosophical then academic. Where the requirement is a true understanding rather then academic conjecture.

In otherwords Philosophy based magic rather then Science Based Magic.

It does require you to step outside the barriers created by modern living where philosophy is treated with such disrespect that useless is synominous is philosophy.

Where to understand a concept is to gain power by that concept and where true revelation is power. You can manipulate something you cannot understand with science magic because understanding is not required, you just need the basics and you are done.

In this form of magic which I shall dub Philosophy magic you need that understanding far beyond in order to make it function because it only functions through understanding and not through manipulation of disconnected details like science often does.

Arcane magic is magic. You're assuming that current!necromancy is 1.0!necromancy, an annoying fallacy which is used almost everywhere

Read closer I am saying that as Necromancy currently is it actually manages to be more outright magical then science magic. Thus even if Science magic is added in I want Necromancy magic as it currently is to stay, possibly expanded, in the game somehow because it actually rounds out the game and provides a great system for the game to use.

Why? I can see a vampire knowing "I need to bite peoples' necks kinda like this," but not "Here's a way I can feed off a person to keep him alive even with a bit less blood," or "I need to remember to secrete that anesthesia before biting next time." The basics? Sure, those can be innate. The details? Not so much

A lot of that sounds like it should be either unconscious or just outright logic. If a Vampire cannot "keep someone alive" then it is another kind of skill outside of feeding. As well whether or not to use Anesthesia sounds unconscious and a vampire would do automatically.

How to put it. If a skill caps out at Novice it isn't a skill or it is part of an aggregate of skills. "How do I bite?" caps at novice because once you got an idea it is done.

A "Vampire" skill I could imagine existing. It representing the knowledge and skill of just being a vampire. Yet it would still need to be expanded (which Vampires will eventually have, with elder vampires unlocking new abilities with age)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 05:13:44 am »

After reading the last handful of posts, I have decided that your argument is, at its core, about whether or not magic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
should consist of "you have magic or you do not have magic", or "magic is a skill that can be trained to varying levels of effectiveness".

Here I will use Skyrim as an example, because I am familiar with it.
In Skyrim, 'magic' exists as various skills (Alteration, Illusion, Conjuration, etc.) that can be trained to varying levels of effectiveness. Spells are svailable in a "you have the spell or you do not have the spell" format. The spells, however, are dependent on the caster's 'magic' skills.

In DF, necromancy exists as a 'spell', i.e., Animate Corpse. There is no 'magic' skill that determines its strength/power/effectiveness. In later versions, there no doubt will be, so don't take v0.34.11 necromancy as the final word.
So saying, there is a lot of room for new spells and skills. Think of Skyrim's Destruction school/skill. They determine the power of the spells you can cast, not your skill at using a specific spell.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 05:47:14 am »

should consist

No, I am not applying it to all magic. I stated a lot that I am only trying to make an arguement for its current form as a possible avenue for some "magic".

That there could exist forms of magic that exist through revelation that give you mastery unhindered and unfettered by any sort of skill for the quality or power of its use and presented to you entirely in full.

Which not only allows many other kinds of magic: Such as spiritual contact, contract magic, and true names (all of which would not use a skill dirrectly)... but it also allows different forms of narration to emmerge and allow there to be magic even within magic.

As well as systems outside the standard.

Which is why I feel like Necromancy in its current form actually manages to feel more like magic then most magic. It does feel like an unknowable force when someone turns into a dead raising lich by discovering the secrets of life and death. Especially since it isn't a manipulation of magic dirrectly but rather a concequence of true knowledge not meant for mortal minds with even the power being absolutely corrupting.

Could there be a school of necromancy in the game that does it the old Hemetic way with mana pools and many spells? Sure. Yet even then the Philosophy version still manages to be more intimidating and awe inspiring with a lot more further reaching implications because there are no implications with ordinary Necromancy because it is just science. While Philosophy Necromancy is true power unfettered and exists as a grim reminder of what mortals were not meant to know.

Why? because the Necromancy school of magic just apes control over life and death with spells. While knowledge, true knowledge, of life and death IS control over life and death

In Skyrim, 'magic' exists as various skills (Alteration, Illusion, Conjuration, etc.) that can be trained to varying levels of effectiveness. Spells are svailable in a "you have the spell or you do not have the spell" format. The spells, however, are dependent on the caster's 'magic' skills

Which is definately not something I am going for as that would be part of the "Scientific Magic" where each spell is a recipe and you need a certain amount of skill to use each correctly.

Mind you there is something to be said about the limits of imagination and I havn't worked out all the ideas on how philosophy magic could work, but right now I am having a hard enough time even presenting good enough arguements to get anyone agreeable or even on the same page.

In later versions, there no doubt will be

Actually there is a lot of doubt there will be "strength of zombie" alteration. The current status of zombies is a placeholder for "Gibbing" or rather for turning zombies into mush that cannot move even when animated.

You could debate that it will never have a skill. Though such debates are not for the suggestion forum.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:47:15 am by Neonivek »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 11:48:22 am »

Ah. I'll admit, i didn't read through everything here, the pages of quotes being a tad offputting, but if you're stating that some forms of magic  offer complete mastery, I'm with you there. That kind of thing should be both rare, difficult, and usually require external assistance, through a very powerful deity, artifact, mentor or such like.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 11:53:20 am »

Assuming of course the complete mastery is worthy of such.

But yeah.

If the power was just that you know the true names of all eagles and thus you command them and speak with them and MAYBE turn into one... Then it... well ok it still should be rare, well rare for meer mortals. Since I don't really think "Arcane Knowledge" should really be passed around so easily.

It would make an interesting reward from a quest you did for a Titan (since Titans are more like nature spirits right now)

Also yeah the "Secrets" (Which I like to call Arcane knowledge) even have a setting for whether or not it can be taught.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:55:30 am by Neonivek »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 07:02:55 pm »

Problem is, "learning" power like that doesn't make sense. Even if you were granted the power by some god (plausible), you'd either need to learn how to do it or invoke the deity's personal intervention to actually do stuff. Assume necromancy follows this model: If you just wave your hand to raise the dead, you'll raise a lot of random half-decayed bits of rat and stuff until you learn how to control the power better, and if there's more (like a mental ritual to unlock some inner strength or something) you need to learn how to do it. The learning curve may be shallow, but it's there.

I've just been reminded of the series Six Feet Under whoops, no... wrong euphemism...  I meant "Pushing Daisies".

Not as a point (or counterpoint) to what you (GWG) or anyone else has said, but the main character got the 'gift' of resurrection whilst a child.  It didn't come from/with a 'manual', it's apparently intrinsic and uncontrollable, and he very quickly works out that there are Rules to the power.  (Not that he avoids the inherent pitfalls, and thus the series, which I found enjoyable quirky.  I don't think I caught all the seasons of it, though...)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 08:01:48 pm »

No one would have magic...
That much is understandable.
No one would learn "Kill myself skill unless I manage to not die 100 times"-No-Jutsu
More like "Injure myself unless I know what the heck I'm doing."
As an analogy, imagine a demolitions expert. It's dangerous to learn, and if you don't know what you're doing you could easily kill yourself, but it's useful. Now imagine that explosives could do things other than destruction and murder.

Problem is, "learning" power like that doesn't make sense
Makes perfect sense. It is revealing the true nature of things and as such with that knowledge you gain what others do not which is the ability to manipulate it. Nothing more then complete knowledge of this will suffice.
In otherwords it is magic, actual magic. The context of real magic and not magic as a quasimechanical skill.
Well, that requires magic to be something that happens whenever someone does something instead of an actual force. The latter makes more sense. Also, even with that knowledge, you'd need to practice some to do it right or, alternatively, to not do it when you don't want to. Regardless, skill is useful.

Why is that?
Response as a quote
Why, not what. Also, you seem to be doing the exact same thing, so...

Confused as to what you mean
If magic is given as a gift by a god, it makes total sense to not need to study to learn how to use a spell--although other learning may be in order if you're not expecting the god to intervene every time you need it done. On the other hand, if magic is independent of greater powers (e.g, arcane spellcasters in D&D, including the wizard which is pretty close to your idea of arcane magic, or mages in Shadowrun, which are even more so), you'd need more practice--not just to learn how to do the spell, but how to do it right.

All the knowledge of true names in the universe won't help you if you if you can't use any kind of magic. You still need some learning, if only to make sure you don't accidentally use magic
Silly Rabit. The True Name "IS" magic. If you know the true name of a creature and you use it, you ARE using magic. There is no skill required no degree of skill required. You either know the true name or you do not.
Depends on the world. But, most of the time, while knowledge is power, you need power to back up the knowledge. Again, in D&D (I keep using that example because it's well-known, and more importantly because its rules are well-defined), you can know all the true names you like, but you can't do squat without a level of truenamer.

I've played some RPGs, and I don't remember any of them having new levels of a specific spell. New spells? Sure, but that's different that what I said
Necromancy isn't a spell. So the equivilant would be an entire magical system.
Necromancy is a single ability. It's pretty much a single spell--Animate Dead. Heck, it's less versatile than the D&D spell of the same name, because you can only create one kind of undead. So yeah, it's basically a single spell. The only game in town? Sure. A whole school of magic? Not as it is now.

If your definiton of "magical" is "utterly inexplicable," sure
It is rather easy to understand. Though it is by far more philosophical then academic. Where the requirement is a true understanding rather then academic conjecture.
In otherwords Philosophy based magic rather then Science Based Magic.
It does require you to step outside the barriers created by modern living where philosophy is treated with such disrespect that useless is synominous is philosophy.
Where to understand a concept is to gain power by that concept and where true revelation is power. You can manipulate something you cannot understand with science magic because understanding is not required, you just need the basics and you are done.
In this form of magic which I shall dub Philosophy magic you need that understanding far beyond in order to make it function because it only functions through understanding and not through manipulation of disconnected details like science often does.
This has a major flaw, and I'm not talking about making pretty much every sentence a whole paragraph. I'm talking about how absolutely nothing, not even actual philosophy or knowledge, works like that. You get better at everything. Why should magic be different?

Arcane magic is magic. You're assuming that current!necromancy is 1.0!necromancy, an annoying fallacy which is used almost everywhere
Read closer I am saying that as Necromancy currently is it actually manages to be more outright magical then science magic. Thus even if Science magic is added in I want Necromancy magic as it currently is to stay, possibly expanded, in the game somehow because it actually rounds out the game and provides a great system for the game to use.
How is necromancy not "Science Magic," if you're using the definition I'm thinking of? It does the same thing, reliably, every time. And if that isn't what you mean by "science magic," what DO you mean?

Why? I can see a vampire knowing "I need to bite peoples' necks kinda like this," but not "Here's a way I can feed off a person to keep him alive even with a bit less blood," or "I need to remember to secrete that anesthesia before biting next time." The basics? Sure, those can be innate. The details? Not so much
A lot of that sounds like it should be either unconscious or just outright logic. If a Vampire cannot "keep someone alive" then it is another kind of skill outside of feeding. As well whether or not to use Anesthesia sounds unconscious and a vampire would do automatically.
Well, about the "keeping someone alive" thing: The idea is the same, you get better at something you already know how to do.

How to put it. If a skill caps out at Novice it isn't a skill or it is part of an aggregate of skills. "How do I bite?" caps at novice because once you got an idea it is done.
That's frankly a stupid idea, made stupider by the fact that there's already a skill for just that goes all the way from Dabbling to Legendary+n.

A "Vampire" skill I could imagine existing. It representing the knowledge and skill of just being a vampire. Yet it would still need to be expanded (which Vampires will eventually have, with elder vampires unlocking new abilities with age)
I don't think this would work well as a skill, or perhaps not as being restricted to vampires, depending on what you mean.

-----

I'd like to make something clear. I don't think that having some magic be granted to someone, requiring no study to use, is bad. I just expect natural consequences. The consequences can be divided up into three categories, based on how this "gift" works:
1. The "gift" requires merely a simple physical action to use (e.g, wave your hand at a corpse that you want to resurrect). This doesn't require any training to use, and can't really be improved, but you do need to learn how not to use it when you don't want to--say, if you're greeting a comrade-at-arms in a fresh battlefield. Or if you're in a butcher's shop. Or...pretty much anywhere with dead stuff.
2. The "gift" requires a semi-elaborate ritual to use--e.g, special gestures or some mental exercises--to avert the above problem. There's a problem with this, too--if you haven't done it much (ie aren't skilled), you could mess it up; practice makes perfect, however. In addition, such a ritual is likely open for experimentation...
3. The "gift" relies on direct intervention from your deity of choice. No problems, but keep your god happy with you...
In case #1, skill represents control. In case #2, skill represents pretty much what you're expecting. In case #3, no skill is needed, but having a god at your beck and call to perform a miracle for you just doesn't seem to fit DF.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 08:22:54 pm »

Now imagine that explosives could do things other than destruction and murder.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 09:22:28 pm »

That's frankly a stupid idea, made stupider by the fact that there's already a skill for just that goes all the way from Dabbling to Legendary+n

Because that is Bite-Fu not the basics on how to even bite someone.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 01:55:04 pm »

That's frankly a stupid idea, made stupider by the fact that there's already a skill for just that goes all the way from Dabbling to Legendary+n
That shouldn't even be a skill. It's kinda innate. If it was a skill, I'd be blinking from all the XP from it.

Knowledge of how to bite is inherently different from, say, scientific, literary, or magical knowledge, however. There's just not as much to learn.
Sig

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 10:55:33 pm »

That shouldn't even be a skill. It's kinda innate. If it was a skill, I'd be blinking from all the XP from it.

Knowledge of how to bite is inherently different from, say, scientific, literary, or magical knowledge, however. There's just not as much to learn.

It is why I I said that anything that sort of caps at "Novice" isn't really a skill.

A Vampire shouldn't need any skill to use his blood sucking ability and really should need a "blood sucking quality" roll.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 03:10:07 am »

It's still possible to screw up at sucking blood. You could miss the vein, rip the neck apart and spill blood everywhere, you could hit a nerve and wake up the person you're feeding on... The whole Dabbling through Legendary is a bit contrived, I admit, but it's still a skill, and skills must be learnt.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 2 [3]