Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interface and manage  (Read 620 times)

Varyag1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interface and manage
« on: January 06, 2013, 07:16:11 pm »

I propose here to write ideas on how you would like to optimize for a more comfortable playing DF

Me currently lacks such a thing:
1. In Adventure mode - in the interface to trade, things stood out at the a different color, which wear the player.
2. In Dwarf mode -
    opportunity to put in workshops to develop a certain number of items. Example:
    in "Mason's workshops"
    make table -14 (items)
    make thron - 10 (items)
3. In Dwarf mode - opportunity develop without automatic pause.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interface and manage
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 07:45:55 pm »

I somewhat agree on #1.  I've got an Adventurer at the moment that I spent quite a while totting up what I was actually wearing, on visiting a shop, so that I would not sell what I wished to keep even while trading spare items.  Add to that some better way of displaying the left-hand list (perhaps a search similar to Dwarf Mode's trade-goods assignment), because trawling through for the best quality hoods (and cross-comparing with what I already was wearing) was more tedious than I would have liked.

For #2, you may not be aware of the "Job Manager" function.  You can assign multiples of items (up to 30 at a time, but with no practical limit on how many times you request 30 items).  The main disadvantage with this method is that you can't ensure that a given workshop (say the mason's one linked to the marble stockpile) is the one that gets given the jobs, so your 14 marble tables may not be made (or may be made of marble in a workshop which is not restricted to Skilled or above masons).  Also, you need an assigned manager to "file" the jobs.

I don't know if the lack of workshop-assignable multiples is deliberate or not, but I tend to think of it as a 'reward' for assigning a Manager (and ensuring he has time to work on managing things) that such multiplicities can be defined.  (Although for fine-control of jobs, I still prefer to manually assign to workshops.)

For some industries, I'd also suggest you set up an array of workshops.  You can perhaps then assign 3 (single) table job requests and 3 (likewise single) throne requests to two workshops in four and 4 tables and 2 thrones to the other pair.  I find that I'm always wanting to produce something en-mass insofar as masonic works go (even if its just blocks).  Unless I'm lucky enough to have two or more Legendary armoursmiths I would resort to micromanaging a mass-requirement of armour pieces, actually.  (Yes, however, it would be nice to ask for a couple of dozen helms specifically in the workshop to which the skilled armoursmith concerned is given sole working rights.)

For #3, there are settings (somewhere in the INIT files, but I can't recall exactly where right now) that might be what you're looking for.  The default "Pause and zero in on 'hit damp rock' events", etc, can be made to not pause (or pause but not zoom to the locale), if that's annoying to you.  However I may be misreading this request because your excellent vocabulary (with mildly fractured grammar in its formal style) is a bit too tersely expressed on this item.  Please feel free to expand on any point that I'm misunderstanding.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:20:26 pm »

For this, do you mean being able to be in the 'd' or 'k' or whatever menu without being paused? I'd imagine that there would need to be some important rewrites to make sure those menus were correct even as DF was running.

As for #2, if you could do that the manager would be darn near obsolete.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 09:24:21 pm »

1. All lists should be sortable.
2. When looking at dwarfs holdings there should be a "show me your bedroom" button.
3. When looking at lever there should be a "show me list of connected things" button.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 10:17:40 pm »

For this, do you mean being able to be in the 'd' or 'k' or whatever menu without being paused? I'd imagine that there would need to be some important rewrites to make sure those menus were correct even as DF was running.
Ah!  Yes!  That's probably what was meant!  I now think I originbally got the wrong end of the wrong stick. ;)

As for #2, if you could do that the manager would be darn near obsolete.
And, yet again, you are more succinct than I.  (c.f. the "...a 'reward' for assigning a Manager..." bit from my post.  This is very much what I meant.)

But the lengthy "how to" and my combined approaches to the problem still stand, OP, should you have until now been unaware of the Manager function.  (From "U"nits or "J"obs menus, look for the "M"anager hotkey label at the bottom, I think.  But without the game in front of my I could be slightly misremembering. ;))

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 02:32:51 am »

As for #2, this should become available with the manager.
Alternatively, the u-m-q menu should provide an option as to which workshop the jobs must be assigned to.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.