Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 272

Author Topic: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)  (Read 818385 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
Re: Murdermachines - Return of the VoidGod (Deathgate II)
« Reply #3840 on: March 08, 2015, 06:52:28 pm »

There is no word 'heim' and I'm not going to the trouble of modding it in. Slaughterhelm it is.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: March 08, 2015, 08:31:04 pm »

Oh, a'right. That's fine then, I though you were just misreading stuff.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: March 09, 2015, 09:07:24 am »

I want the save after my turn at Slaughterhelm is over.

So are we going to start it or not? I have all my mods ready, does anyone else have something they want to include?
I think voting has a few more days, but besides that I haven't had a chance to finish my mods or generally do anything. I was out of town visiting family for my birthday and now that I'm back, I'm catching up on the homework I didn't do for that and other reasons. In addition, I was hoping to get the MurderMachines done first, but towards the interests of getting Slaughterhelm up and going, I'm going to focus on the mods first. ( Especially considering that MurderMachines might want to eat my time. )

There is no word 'heim' and I'm not going to the trouble of modding it in. Slaughterhelm it is.
If you guys really want, I could add in "heim". It's not like we're talking creature modding here, which takes some time. It's just "find the language file, pop in 2-3 lines for the new word, save, done." Speaking of creature modding, how does one code in attacks? ( I think I've got the basics down for all the creatures I intend to add, just have to puzzle out the entities and make some bodyplan mods, as well as get the materials specked. )

EDIT: If Toady's next update can reasonably be expected "soonish" ( <=2 months ) would anyone want to wait for that? The dancing stuff looks like it could be interesting, plus that gives us more time to set up. If not, I'll try to be ready to roll by week's end. If I'm not, I guess we go ahead and spawn a world.

So what custom world gen values should we use?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:29:23 am by CaptainMcClellan »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: March 09, 2015, 09:52:38 am »

I don't think there's much reason to wait for next version. It comes with series of bug fixes, which might break the game even more. Set up the world on your own pace, it's not like we are on timelimit here. Quality over quantity and all that jazz...

Dunno about world gen values, but fortress should be set up on desert sea shore to ensure salty water, aquifer and no trees.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: March 09, 2015, 10:39:36 pm »

Fun world values: add a 0 to megabeast/titan/vampire/werebeast/demon counts, don't put too many layers between uh, 3 and 4 I think, while it does give big freaky tall candy spires when you do, it takes forever to get down to hell and such like that, and as big a fan of vertical forts as I am, going down through a 150+ z level world-gen ramp spiral as an adventurer is a nightmare.

Put elevation variation up and you get an interesting mix of landforms which let you have fun neighbors adjacent to each other, don't set cavern openness too low and passage density too high, it's just annoying and cluttered looking, unless you like densely packed cavern tunnels I suppose?

Some people like big huge worlds, but in fort mode it means enemies will have to travel forever to reach you, even on a 65x65 world it took four years for my first real siege, though part of that could be due to the goblin civs in the central area of the map being at war with each other, so only the far northeast civ attacked me normally.

A 65x65 is big enough for a surprising amount of variety, history, and civs can spread out enough to get established and then start really grinding each other into paste happily, plus it's a good size for adventuring on, you can travel across the map in a reasonable amount of time if you really try, or you can spend literal years in-game exploring everything. Turn all the rejection values at the end of the advanced settings off or you might miss some interesting results. Play with the good/evil square values some if you're after a certain mix, but even with the default values in a 65x65 you will end up with occasional maps that are packed with evil or with an island of good biomes and wilderness/evil all around them.

Don't set good too low or you won't get dorfs readily, don't set max elevation too low for the same reason, I like elevation variation 3200x3200 because it gives chunks of mountains instead of big bands or half the map being blocked off and dead. Toss in a few mountain peaks for the fun of discovering them, a similar number for volcano minimum for the fun therein, go for a north or south pole rather than both so you can have a desert at one end and ice at the other, and if you want it on a desert sea try to set it to one or two partial edge oceans to give a better chance of finding the sort of site you're after.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 10:42:02 pm by Max™ »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: March 10, 2015, 12:31:09 am »

Good advice Max, except that I think we should also turn up the variances for mineral deposits and flux stone. Also, I like a bipolar world and deserts just annoy me. Clearly though, you've done much more with world-value mods than I have.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: March 10, 2015, 10:16:13 am »

What the actual hell.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: March 10, 2015, 10:41:46 am »

What's up?

Also, to Max. What unit of force are the stress calculations in? I'm reading the Wiki, but I can't seem to find it. ( Uranium is about halfway done, I just need these values and to convert the molar mass. )

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: March 10, 2015, 05:03:37 pm »

Oh god I think it's kilopascals isn't it? I don't tweak the materials too much, just slapped together parts to make a denser candy/steel mix.

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: March 10, 2015, 10:43:48 pm »

Oh god I think it's kilopascals isn't it? I don't tweak the materials too much, just slapped together parts to make a denser candy/steel mix.
kiloPascals? I can do that, the measures on the Wikipedia are in MegaPascals and GigaPascals. ( Though, to be honest, I'm not sure if I should use GigaPascals, seems like it'd be too big. After all, a MegaPascal would already be kiloPascal2, so a GigaPascal would be like kPa4, which seems as though it'd be a larger number than used in the game and RAWs. ) Know any modding people to ask and do you know if you just input molar mass as is or do things to it first?

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: March 10, 2015, 11:45:24 pm »

It just occurred to me that we have a golden opportunity for all new levels of insidious traps, such as gassing our foes with radioactive gas, or submerging our enemies in a flow of radioactive water... I must make haste and read the wiki faster in order to realize this nefariousness!

EDIT: Some preference quesitons:
  • Deadly radioactive Plutonium: Dust or steam?
  • DRP: Self-detonating? ( as IRL Plutonium is apt to do in some scenarios, especially when made uncleanly... )
    • Hafnium, Silver alloy, Xenotime (Ytterbium ore, as refining is unnecessary and possibly even detrimental) or Cobalt control rods? ( Or all three? ) If so, what alloys of silver? ( Hafnium can be used by itself or in conjunction with tin and other materials to create very effective control rods, not that this will probably matter for sake of my mod, also Hafnium, do to its natural scarcity will probably be achieved alchemaically through !!MAGIC!! !!ARCANE SCIENCE!!* )
    • Thorium, Tungsten, Uranium, or [other] excitation rods? ( Or no excitations rods as all as they are a most dangerous product of !!SCIENCE!! IRL, excitations and fission would more likely be provoked with a concentrated alpha emitter, ie these things or other moderately to highly radioactive elements in high concentration, surrounded by a block of lead that has one miniscule aperture facing the fuel which would be either U235 or P239, but such a fine level of distinction is totally unnecessary as, in game mechanics, it's functionally identical- everything being handled by a complex RAW reaction object.)
    • Any language file modifications we want to add?
    • How prevalent do we want the domovye to be?
    • How "advanced" do we want the domovye to be? Entity level, exotic_pet with adopts_owner, or benign wild animal?
    • An interaction in which a dwarf may become a domovoi. ( Because the beard is strong with them both. )
    • Ents - yay/nay?
    • If Ents, then Ent civilization? ( Or are elves enough?)
    • Should I still include Reapers ( when finished ) or scrap the idea and work on giving dwarves radiation poisioning? ( Also, "dwarfs", what? Apparently that's the correct plural but it feels so weird to type that because it changes the pronunciation. )
    • Anything else?

Also, is anybody else modding?

*I don't want to have alchemy as fleshed out as in Masterwork or implemented in any "cheaty" way, I just want the alchemy skill to go to use.3
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:30:10 am by CaptainMcClellan »

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: March 11, 2015, 12:35:35 am »

Also... TARN TOADY ONE HAS A DOCTORATE!? WHY AM I JUST LEARNING THESE THINGS!?

... Dr. Adams. Nope, probably never going to call him that ever, especially if I want to continue getting his help on my project...

Also, yeah, I'm sorry for turning this into my blog, I'll go away now and get back to work on the things I'm supposed to be doing.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: March 11, 2015, 03:55:59 am »

Domovye? What? Why?

Ents could be fun. No civ for them. Could be nice if we can enslave them somehow. Make capturing and exploiting then worthwhile.

What horrors we already have against us? Do we need to make the mountain of murder that's about to fall on our heads any bigger?

E: Actually might be good idea to pool all plans and information into successor thread.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 272