Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dealing with migrants  (Read 2352 times)

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
Dealing with migrants
« on: January 05, 2013, 01:44:49 am »

Hey guys and girl! In every single fortress I have the migrants just roll in like cougars, I do not like these strangers. In fact, I'd rather just have all my fortress related. For future generations if everyone is related, maybe I'll let one migrant in but for now I just can't handle migrants. Right now I've only had my first migrant wave in my new fort, 2 children, a trader and a glass maker. I could make them all useful as engravers but that's foolish. Anyways, I need help dealing with these spies.
So far I have this list to get rid of them:
1. Drowning room
2. Cave-in
3. Cage the cougar and throw the kids in the cougar pit (I think the cougar left)
4. Military draft
5. Box
I've just looked at one of the kid's relationship thingy and she has a lot of cousins, a deity named Datan and no friends so removing them isn't going to cause a problem. Anybody with a more Armok-friendly solution please feel free to share!
When I was younger, I was a baby.
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with migrants
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 01:54:39 am »

military draft in seprate area/fortress on surface/caverns with no uniform (uniform replaces clothing) If they survive wrestling whatever you choose to sick the adults on bonus. kids have warren in the training area. bonus points if danger room involved.
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

blaster339

• Bay Watcher
  • Why did the chicken REALLY cross the road?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 03:55:06 am »

A burrow for the migrants that works like a waiting room
But if you really wanna kill them so badly just do a cave-in or drowning room

Interrogative:
Why do you want to get rid of them so badly?
Migrants are awesome especially if they're vampires, vampires prove to be very useful too

Deadswifi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 04:59:21 am »

I just had an idea. Why not have a green-card-like system that would make it pretty much so that instead of migrants just arriving straight to your fortress, they would sign up for a "green card" where you could view their details and (if you wish to) accept them.
This would make for a really, really good mod. Anyone with me?

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 05:02:05 am »

No. But an additional menu where we state wether we want more migrants or not each time the outpost liaison comes would be better.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Deadswifi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 07:39:45 am »

No. But an additional menu where we state wether we want more migrants or not each time the outpost liaison comes would be better.
Or that, at least.

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 12:01:40 pm »

A burrow for the migrants that works like a waiting room
But if you really wanna kill them so badly just do a cave-in or drowning room

Interrogative:
Why do you want to get rid of them so badly?
Migrants are awesome especially if they're vampires, vampires prove to be very useful too
I'm 92.6% sure none of them are currently vampires though one of the migrants and my engraver were in a bedroom for a while, not sure if there's an affair or blood sucking going on. If I do come across a vampire I'll definitely send it to "clean" the water sources. The reason for my hate is because they just flood my fortresses when I'm least prepared, they're like the friendliest invaders ever. It isn't right! I don't want Allied Invasion Dorf Squads, I want Kamikaze Insane Dorf Squads.
When I was younger, I was a baby.
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

ikachan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:33:50 pm »

If you destroy them with an atom smasher then they will be listed as missing because they can't find the body. If they're listed as missing then no-one gets an unhappy thought but you will have to engrave some slabs to avoid ghosts.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 12:36:02 pm »

I'm 92.6% sure none of them are currently vampires
That's awfully precise. Did you run a survey?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 01:18:29 pm »

Its things like this that make me consider a multi-tiered fortress.

Currently I have different castes in my fortresses, and higher castes get better treatment, but otherwise they all live in the same fortress, in fact the peasants get treated better than they should because they get a well defended home, a legendary dining room, excellent food and booze, and a 3x3 home complete with a bed, cabinet, and chest.

So I consider having a large, unskilled fortress as my entrance. A few traps and a lockable door protect them from goblins, that and the little training they do. Then deeper underground is the real fortress, with the citizens I care about, better protected, etc. Dwarves can only transfer if they prove themselves. That way you get the benefit of migrants, more dwarves if you need them, and you mitigate the negatives, you aren't really forced to provide for them, because they don't compromise the good fortress.

Why kill them when you can segregate them and take advantage of them!

Supersheepman

• Bay Watcher
  • Because ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 02:12:57 pm »

What you need, my friend, is the Automagic MigrantSmasherTM. It's a little "immigration facility" designated as a burrow. Herd in migrants, lock the door, pull the lever and forget your troubles.

I use it to regulate immigration to a manageable level.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:34:26 pm »

You can also change population cap, but it is not nearly as dwarfy...
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Suspense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 02:56:26 pm »

You can also change population cap, but it is not nearly as dwarfy...
And also not nearly as precise.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 06:42:21 pm »

I usually like migrants... they add some challenge in otherwise peaceful biomes. Only in my last fort I had a bit of bad luck. Third or Fourth wave had 70 migrants, most of them fish cleaners or children. I really don't know what I would have done if my undead friends didn't kill everybody a few months later  ???

The easiest way to get rid of them (if you only want to keep the useful ones) is putting all the useless ones into a burrow under a drawbridge and pulling the lever. You'll have to keep some slabs ready, but it's still the cleanest solution. In previous versions without burrows I always ordered all my dwarves inside and closed the entrance until those soapmakers died outside.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 07:43:13 pm »

Suicide squads of wrestlers.  Those that live will probaly get TONS of experience, then you can draft them into the military that you actually care about.  Or maybe have a squad of Legendary Wrestlers in Iron armor.  And do what the others said, segregate and make them self-sufficient with bad food and bad booze. 
Pages: [1] 2