Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Memorial to a wagon  (Read 3647 times)

flarn2006

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Memorial to a wagon
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:42:41 pm »

This is a bauxite memorial to a wagon.
The slab reads "In memory of a wagon / Born 9 / Crushed by a drawbridge in the year 260".

:'( I know the goblins were invading, but why did I have to raise the drawbridge then? I loved that wagon so much!!!  :'(

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Memorial to a wagon
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 08:57:23 pm »

This is one of those things that I hope never gets fixed.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 09:10:52 pm »

Wagons are born? that in itself deserves more investigation
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

flarn2006

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 11:13:28 pm »

Anyone have any idea why, from a technical standpoint, this bug would exist? I mean, when I went to engrave a memorial slab, I saw "Wagon" in the list. I just had to.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 11:24:37 pm »

AIUI Wagon's are currently considered creatures to allow them to travel with trade caravans. (i.e. not creature = not move)

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 11:45:49 pm »

AIUI Wagon's are currently considered creatures to allow them to travel with trade caravans. (i.e. not creature = not move)

I think this is it - I've heard of people who have played as wagons. Not too sure how well that went for them, since wagons aren't exactly able to grasp stuff, but I'm fairly sure it's been done.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 01:24:57 am »

I think this is it - I've heard of people who have played as wagons. Not too sure how well that went for them, since wagons aren't exactly able to grasp stuff, but I'm fairly sure it's been done.

Ahhh'm a wagon and I'm o.k!~
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 09:07:38 am »

You can also have statues depicting wagons, although they'll only be labelled "A [material] statue" and their description reads like this one:
"The item is a masterfully designed image of  the wagon in gold by Kûbuk Komosdanman. Is falling. The artwork relates to the scuttling of  a wagon in Pulledcloister in the early winter of 65."
Destroyed wagons are also listed as historical figures. They're counted as members of the traders' civilisation and typically worship one of the civ's deities... My legend-mode list of scuttled wagons only shows death dates, not births.

And if you visit settlements of a civilisation one of your forts has traded with, you can meet their wagons - i.e. you'll find a load of items and three planks of wagon wood, because the wagons deconstruct (or die of old age?) when you enter the place.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 05:17:06 pm »

251 years. That a pretty old wagon. Are they something like warhammer spaceships that last for aeons?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 05:19:37 pm »

Now, dont ask me how, as I am not 100% sure, but I have ended up with planks of "wagon wood" in a totally vanilla game upon reclaiming a site. I am trying to force a carpenter to make wagonbeds or suchlike, but no joy yet.
This is a blank sig.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 04:37:22 am »

I recently made a slab for a scuttled caravan wagon just for giggles, though mine didn't have a birthdate - jealous :D
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

hiroshi42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 05:16:30 am »

Hmmm.  I now have a burning desire to experiment with this and see if wagons can drown.  They don't have a NOBREATHE tag, but they also do not have any BREATHE parts...or any parts for that matter.

Also wagon wood is very possible to get, it is dropped by wagons in much the same manner as Bronze Colossi statues.  If I am not hallucinating it used to be a mood-require-able and demand-able item. 

And now I am wondering how one would go about trapping a wagon in a cage trap...Looks like I am going to have to slaughter the next human caravan
'Your' jetpack was last seen attached to a nuclear powered science tank on Mars.
It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarvern science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 05:55:31 am »

Ah, so this explains why "wagon" is a valid target when giving kill orders.
This is a blank sig.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 06:28:23 am »

Now if wagons could go berserk when detained for too long in the depot ...

Although they still wouldn't fit in a cage trap.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 06:31:59 am »

Wagons are valid targets? Ooh so many questions just popped into my head.
What happens if you attack a wagon from your own civ.(Problably just a loyality cascade.)
Are wagons notable kills? If no then how do we change that? (Urist killer of wagons!)
Pages: [1] 2