Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Sony PS4 DRM?  (Read 17257 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Sony PS4 DRM?
« Reply #165 on: February 07, 2013, 03:31:26 pm »

Online codes aren't going to discourage collectors though because by the time people are collecting games there isn't likely to be anyone playing online, and besides you can always just buy a new code, whereas eventually unplayed discs are going to go for exorbitant prices. Similarly, the problem would be solved with reactivation codes, although I imagine more people would balk at those since it's not like they have servers to maintain in that case.

As for PC games, I can't think of a PC game released in the last five years that wasn't also digitally distributed if not primarily so. As I said, if Sony is going to do this they'd better make sure that every game they release is also available over PSN to prevent consumers from getting screwed by low print runs.

I didn't say anything about favoring PC games.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2013, 04:41:45 pm »

I'm not sure why you'd favor PC games, unless you buy everything from GoG so that it has no copy protection. I am, of course, assuming that you do not illegally acquire your games.

Because every game I own on Steam was bought at a fraction of the retail price.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2013, 05:18:07 pm »

I'm not sure why you'd favor PC games, unless you buy everything from GoG so that it has no copy protection. I am, of course, assuming that you do not illegally acquire your games.

Because every game I own on Steam was bought at a fraction of the retail price.

This right here. Even used games that are several years old will run me much much more than a game that recently came out and then hit a steam sale will cost me. God knows what the costs will be for a game thats been around for awile when used games arent even an option for consoles.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2013, 06:59:06 pm »

Yeah, a single-use (digital download) game is worth about half price of a real (comes IN FULL, PLAYABLE FORM on physical media AND CAN BE [fully, no launchdate "DLC"] INSTALLED, RECEIVE UPDATES, AND PARTICIPATE IN MULTIPLAYER [if applicable] on ANY NUMBER OF COMPUTERS with MINIMAL OR NO HASTLE REGARDLESS OF AUTHOR EXISTANCE FAILURE) game to me at most times. Steam fills that niche. I also sometimes want real games, but nobody makes them anymore. Most disks are as ephemeral as download services, with DRM just as or more invasive.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2013, 07:50:41 pm »

The peculiar thing is this: Microsoft sells many XBox games digitally, linked to accounts in the same way Steam links games to accounts, but MS doesn't even bother trying to come anywhere near Steam's sales, and prices everything in funny money instead of real currency. It's like they don't think they're even competing.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2013, 08:00:30 pm »

And they shall call it... the Paystation®.

subi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2013, 07:52:46 am »

best think they can do is to put larger space ,so games can be played directly from storage,without use of dvd(Only on first install )

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2013, 07:53:29 am »

Doesn't matter, long live the Playstation 2.

FTFY

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

subi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2013, 08:08:49 am »

but if they really thinking to make console that must be always online when playing games,that will be serious problem for broadband operators :)

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 21, 2013, 04:17:47 am »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 21, 2013, 04:22:17 am »

Ha!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 21, 2013, 04:45:32 am »

It's a pretty vague response. They could still easily lock-down features of the game like multiplayer for people who've bought the game second-hand.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 21, 2013, 05:12:42 am »

Did you guys see the specs?  They're pathetically mediocre.  At least consoles in the past could be considered really good hardware for the first year or so after release.  What will this next generation have going for it?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 21, 2013, 05:18:21 am »

Pretty good RAM, I guess.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 21, 2013, 06:05:42 am »

What will this next generation have going for it?

Used games :P
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13