Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Sony PS4 DRM?  (Read 17313 times)

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
Re: Sony PS4 DRM?
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2013, 12:27:06 pm »

This isn't just about people buying and selling pre-owned games, but companies that rent games will likely lose an awful lot of business too.

I can't see Sony ever being able to implement this as it would pose far too many legal issues regarding the ability for markets to stay competitive.

Would it not just be the same issues as having online access keys/passes or things signed to digital retailers that cant be resold or moved easily?

It will all probably still be signed to someones profile or etc etc rather than having some tiny wear and tear issue with your console writing off your £1000 games collection.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2013, 12:29:40 pm »

having some tiny wear and tear issue with your console writing off your £1000 games collection.

I dont think this is a thing?

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2013, 02:11:21 pm »

having some tiny wear and tear issue with your console writing off your £1000 games collection.

I dont think this is a thing?

If the check is strictly gameID vs. userID, then the hardware should not matter.  If the user account is tied to the hardware, then game access could be lost if you get non-Sony-approved-technician repairs (read: modding) or your hardware is stolen (depending on how account recovery works).

This is all assuming that Sony's DRM Nuevo works correctly out of the gate.  Remember Ubisoft's server change that disabled far more games than they planned?  ....yeah.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2013, 04:36:49 pm »

Ah, my mistake, I'd misread Foil's post. I thought he was saying that was possible now. Didn't get onto him talking about this new Sony DRM thing. My bad.

Also, with the way the video game industry is slowly pushing the boundries I wouldn't be surprised that once they had this sort of DRM control in place they'd try and take it a step further. 2 or 3 console generations from now we could be looking at single-use discs. Or time-limited game discs. I mean if you're going to actively try and kill used sales, why not also kill repeat playthroughs with the same disc? Make people buy the game again if they want to play it again.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2013, 04:40:23 pm »

I mean if you're going to actively try and kill used sales, why not also kill repeat playthroughs with the same disc? Make people buy the game again if they want to play it again.
And then the industry cycled back to arcades.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2013, 04:43:43 pm »

I mean if you're going to actively try and kill used sales, why not also kill repeat playthroughs with the same disc? Make people buy the game again if they want to play it again.
And then the industry cycled back to arcades.
All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again. Namely, the console gaming industry crash. Computers became better for gaming than the consoles/arcades.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2013, 07:04:13 pm »

2 or 3 console generations from now we could be looking at single-use discs. Or time-limited game discs. I mean if you're going to actively try and kill used sales, why not also kill repeat playthroughs with the same disc? Make people buy the game again if they want to play it again.

Considering that having enough content to want to keep playing it after the first 4-8 hours, or after you beat the game, is a major selling point, they'd have to be crazy to have single-use discs, time-limited game discs, or anything like that. Of course, if they did ban used games, that means people wouldn't be able to trade in their games which had a ridiculously short campaign immediately after finishing them the weekend after buying them, and would remove one of the reasons companies now make games with replay value, or longer campaigns, open world settings, excellent multiplayer, etc (Such as Borderlands 2).

But if anyone thinks that means they can just ban used games and then shove out only 6 hour long games like The Force Unleashed, and expect to get away with it, they're going to be disappointed when people just stop buying their games because they can't trade them back in, until the prices hit rock bottom from lack of sales (or don't and the companies go under). I already rarely buy anything on steam unless the price is $5 or below, or occasionally $10 or below. Once in a while I buy something higher-priced. I got Skyrim (probably should have waited), Portal 2 (That was a mistake), and Deus Ex: Human Revolution (This was an excellent game, and it wasn't chock full of bugs on release like Skyrim, either, and was worth $60) either via pre-order or (in the case of Portal 2) after release when the price dropped by $30 (Which was still a mistake. I wouldn't feel like I had wasted my money if I had only paid $5 for it; not because it was short - I enjoyed Portal but it wasn't why I bought the Orange Box - but because it was irritating and not fun at all).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 07:06:08 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2013, 08:13:09 pm »

Doesn't the money gained from re-selling games usually end up being spent on more games anyway? I bought plenty of games I'd never of been able to afford second hand and know people who used to sell lots to save when buying new titles. I remember getting two new N64 games a year and could have got more if I'd sold them but the few times I did I really regretted it.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2013, 08:15:22 pm »

Portal 2 seems to be a very polarizing title.  I loved it.  A few of the puzzles were irritating and the novelty wasn't as great as with the original, but I felt they managed to improve on everything else.  I especially loved the writing.  Carrying around a cranky Gladdos trapped in a potato was on its own rewarding enough to justify the whole game for me.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2013, 08:40:30 pm »

Portal 2 seems to be a very polarizing title.  I loved it.  A few of the puzzles were irritating and the novelty wasn't as great as with the original, but I felt they managed to improve on everything else.  I especially loved the writing.  Carrying around a cranky Gladdos trapped in a potato was on its own rewarding enough to justify the whole game for me.
  what?
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2013, 08:56:06 pm »

what?

Shadowlord made several references in his last post to how much he regrets buying Portal 2.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2013, 08:57:48 pm »

what?

Shadowlord made several references in his last post to how much he regrets buying Portal 2.
oh I though you posted that in the wrong thread
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2013, 09:10:06 pm »

Well, considering I don't have Wifi in my home, I'm skipping the PS4. If the Wii-U doesn't shape up its selection, I might have to look into a rig.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2013, 09:15:58 pm »

I'm in the process of building a mid-range gaming PC for less than $400.  Might even scrape just under $350.  Mostly new parts.  Maybe not as cheap as a console, but consider games will be cheaper, future upgrades will be cheaper, and the utility of the system is so much larger it's not even comparable.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2013, 09:16:37 pm »

Well, considering I don't have Wifi in my home, I'm skipping the PS4. If the Wii-U doesn't shape up its selection, I might have to look into a rig.

Yeah, companies seem to think that all their customers have what they believe are the "basics", which are quite different that what they actually are. It's not good business practice to start having a product of your own rely on people shelling out cash for a totally separate product.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13