Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Feeding animals? WTF?  (Read 2235 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Feeding animals? WTF?
« on: January 04, 2013, 01:29:14 pm »

When I was playing my latest fortress, I noticed that my dwarves were giving plump helmets to grazers using the job "Feed Animal". Is this normal? I thought that you couldn't feed grazers in this current version without putting them on grass/moss. Is this a fluke?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Feeding animals? WTF?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 01:42:27 pm »

Dwarves will feed their pets if said pets are hungry.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 01:59:17 pm »

Really? Mine just seem to leave them hanging around the meeting hall until they starve to death and stink up the place. ???

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 02:10:41 pm »

It's as random and unreliable as feeding patients and prisoners.  Rarely it works, most of the time they die first.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 03:14:16 pm »

If it's like feeding prisoners, then burrows should do the trick. Huge underground factory farm, here I come!
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 03:20:48 pm »

"Pets" are actual personal pets of an individual dwarf - "xxx the mule foal, pet of Urist McImmigrant". Those will follow around their master, and the dwarf will notice if it's starving more often than not and feed it.
The animals hanging around in the meeting hall (and partying) until they starve are strays - animals not attached to a dwarf. And it seems dwarfs will never bother to feed those.

Better to just pasture all grazers anyway, regardless of pet status.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 03:29:39 pm »

"Pets" are actual personal pets of an individual dwarf - "xxx the mule foal, pet of Urist McImmigrant". Those will follow around their master, and the dwarf will notice if it's starving more often than not and feed it.
The animals hanging around in the meeting hall (and partying) until they starve are strays - animals not attached to a dwarf. And it seems dwarfs will never bother to feed those.

Better to just pasture all grazers anyway, regardless of pet status.
We must do !!SCIENCE!!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 07:01:57 pm »

You could try to pasture grazers on stone, and then assign them all as pets to ONE dedicated feeder, like the dedicated nurses some people do for hospitals.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 07:21:39 pm »

You could try to pasture grazers on stone, and then assign them all as pets to ONE dedicated feeder, like the dedicated nurses some people do for hospitals.

Unlikely to work - you can't 'assign' animals as pets, you can only make them 'available' and hope they all get adopted by the same dwarf (beyond unlikely, not least because dwarfs only seem to adopt creatures of species they explicitly like).

The only grazers that can be directly assigned are those which can be trained for hunting or war - rhinoceros and elephant, possibly others? I quickly gave up on that idea, so have no proper sample, but they didn't seem to receive food from their assigned dwarf. Assigned work animals aren't treated as proper pets anyway (except from giving bad thoughts when their corpses are left to rot, while being barred from burial normally).

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 08:27:36 pm »

Wasn't a problem in 31.25 as far as I could see. I went 10 years in one of many forts.
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!