Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Homosexuality  (Read 16755 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homosexuality
« Reply #135 on: January 15, 2013, 03:54:26 pm »

Thing is, if you cant get a stiffie, you cant stick it in her cunt. Then you cant get kids.
Many closet gays have kids though. I have a gay friend, who has had sex with a woman. This was during his teens, when he was in closet. Man has to do what man has to do, you know.

Civilizations in DF that really despise gays could produce closet gays. They might get continuing bad thoughts, they might be seemingly more homophobic than others, they might go brokeback mountain with some other dwarf.

Offtopic: has anyone suggested introducing affairs to the game? It could be pretty good plot device, gay, straight or whatever.

I think that what you are talking about is adding Homophobia to the game, which would be an interesting addition, but would be a lot more complex than adding a Homosexual/Heterosexual flag on dwarves.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 15, 2013, 04:00:52 pm »

It really depends on the eye of the beholder and the situation i reckon. Homosexuality is not ethically neutral in a dwarven society where everything that moves outside your little mountain is an enemy and the survival of your species depends on your reproduction capability. And lots of people in our own society would even say that it wasn't ethically neutral - that is why it is such a controversial subject I reckon. And child marriage is not considered harmful in many parts of the world,(not that I don't find it repulsive). Just look at the countries in the middle east.

So, what can we learn? That your opinion is not a a universal one and that everyone has different opinions on things. Don't try to force you views on others with misguided assumptions and wrong facts but make a valid argument instead.

Homosexuality is ethically neutral in dwarven society until Toady adds an ethics tag for it. It's not practically neutral, if your fort requires babies to survive then it is going to be a problem for you.  On the other hand if, like most forts, you are usually dealing with way more babies than you want, then it is a bonus.  Productive members of society who have no chance of making babies.  Currently the only dwarves that fill that role are widows/widowers.  I know I have seen some people push for remarriage, but not because that would allow widows/widowers to make more babies, or at least that's never the arguement I have seen.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 15, 2013, 04:05:34 pm »

Oh my god guys calm the fuck down lets just stop this discussion and leave hte final decision to Toady before someone gets muted or banned :(
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2013, 04:06:12 pm »

but none of that matters because it doesn't compare to homosexuality in any way other than it might offend people, but offending bigots shouldn't be a concern for anybody, and i know it isn't a concern for toady

People who are, for some reason, not offended at the fact that danger rooms commonly make baby shishkabobs, and that child abduction is included, as well as pedophilia if we consider a pregnant 12 year old to be pedo (which most people do)

A 12 year old child soldier with her recently born baby impaled on a spike, oh that's all in good fun, but a happily married gay couple?  Oh noes!

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2013, 04:10:48 pm »

Oh my god guys calm the fuck down lets just stop this discussion and leave hte final decision to Toady before someone gets muted or banned :(
Actually, everyone's pretty much calm in this case and it's nowhere near bannable. I think your reactions are off.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 15, 2013, 04:12:36 pm »

If gays marry, then they probably will not choose to have children, speaking linearly in the hard coded system for marriage. In the end, civilization may die off unless we give those Dwarves pride in their legacy. This is all too damn complex for DF to handle I would think. I am greatly anticipating the next development.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #141 on: January 15, 2013, 04:20:21 pm »

If gays marry, then they probably will not choose to have children, speaking linearly in the hard coded system for marriage. In the end, civilization may die off unless we give those Dwarves pride in their legacy. This is all too damn complex for DF to handle I would think. I am greatly anticipating the next development.
If civilizations die off as a result, the better the story. Well, once ruins get implemented anyways. In any case DF already supports population ratios in castes. DF handles more complex things on a frequent basis.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 15, 2013, 04:24:26 pm »

What??

This is bizarre. So, ~5% of the population won't have children, so society will die off, so we need to implement personalities so they can "choose to not have children"?? And it's too complex? What??

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 15, 2013, 04:29:50 pm »

If civilizations die off as a result, the better the story. Well, once ruins get implemented anyways. In any case DF already supports population ratios in castes. DF handles more complex things on a frequent basis.

Ruins? I have wondered if there are legends or engravings or statues, etc, that do depict the fall of Dwarven societies. Or do they indeed silently fall with the last man?

What??

This is bizarre. So, ~5% of the population won't have children, so society will die off, so we need to implement personalities so they can "choose to not have children"?? And it's too complex? What??

In the current marriage system, I do not think the Dwarves "want" to have babies with other Dwarves, but the babies are randomly poofed into existence anyways.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2013, 05:22:39 pm »

In the current marriage system, I do not think the Dwarves "want" to have babies with other Dwarves, but the babies are randomly poofed into existence anyways.
So how does this relate to your bizarrely obtuse last post? What does it mean??

forward

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2013, 05:23:54 pm »

A 12 year old child soldier with her recently born baby impaled on a spike
...guarding an aquatic concentration camp that produces mermaid baby bonecrafts

I think that what you are talking about is adding Homophobia to the game, which would be an interesting addition, but would be a lot more complex than adding a Homosexual/Heterosexual flag on dwarves.
Yeah, it's a bit more than the original suggestion of thread. Not impossible in veery distant future, though. It's of course just a one low-priority detail in a huge multitude of possible cultural/specie-specific factors that could affect behaviour and motivations of creatures.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2013, 06:11:02 pm »

So how does this relate to your bizarrely obtuse last post? What does it mean??

Married homos don't have babies.

Dwarven forts, being overrun by zombie elephants and such, will likely leave homos and women together.

I may have missed a preposition, I really don't care.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:12:51 pm by Bot Hack »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2013, 06:12:32 pm »

actually, that bit squicked out toady and he lowered the value of mermaid bones to counter it

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #148 on: January 15, 2013, 06:20:16 pm »

actually, that bit squicked out toady and he lowered the value of mermaid bones to counter it
Also the whole danger room baby casualties thing is ignoring the fact that the end goal is to cheat your way to creating a legendary lord of war. It isn't exactly a friendly tea time activity where the intention is to brain babies. The child abduction as you say is a deliberate moral grey area, threat and humourous quirk all in one. The goblins may truly believe they are rescuing the children they abduct, and is one of the areas of DF that has enough depth to drown yourself in; the morality of the Dwarf, the Hostile and the Overseer.

Not terribly relevant to this thread however.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 15, 2013, 06:36:56 pm »

The goblins may truly believe they are rescuing the children they abduct, and is one of the areas of DF that has enough depth to drown yourself in; the morality of the Dwarf, the Hostile and the Overseer.

Not terribly relevant to this thread however.

If I may derail a bit further for one question: what do Goblins do with these kids? I figured they ate them or sold them to slavery. I fucking hate these green assholes.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12