Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Homosexuality  (Read 16816 times)

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homosexuality
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2013, 11:12:32 pm »

The homos should still make babies for women. It would be down right appalling if a civilization goes extinct because the final Dwarven pair just couldn't decide to get past their feelings. Being gay is also going to have an effect on the masculinity of the Dwarf, affecting preferences and mental attributes, generally. Though I don't think there is even a slight difference between male and female attributes as it is right now.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:18:12 pm by Bot Hack »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2013, 11:30:24 pm »

The homos should still make babies for women. It would be down right appalling if a civilization goes extinct because the final Dwarven pair just couldn't decide to get past their feelings.
I think if it's down to just one pair, they'd probably not last that much longer anyway.
Being gay is also going to have an effect on the masculinity of the Dwarf, affecting preferences and mental attributes, generally. I don't think there is even a slight difference between male and female attributes as it is right now.
You realise you've just contradicted yourself right? There are no difference in male and female personalities in DF, much like in real life, so why should sexual preference affect attributes? Also this is a fantasy game so what does it matter?

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2013, 11:44:28 pm »

The homos should still make babies for women. It would be down right appalling if a civilization goes extinct because the final Dwarven pair just couldn't decide to get past their feelings.
I think if it's down to just one pair, they'd probably not last that much longer anyway.
Being gay is also going to have an effect on the masculinity of the Dwarf, affecting preferences and mental attributes, generally. I don't think there is even a slight difference between male and female attributes as it is right now.
You realise you've just contradicted yourself right? There are no difference in male and female personalities in DF, much like in real life, so why should sexual preference affect attributes? Also this is a fantasy game so what does it matter?

That is precisely what I meant, there is no difference between male and female in DF. Until a more fleshed out attribute, skill, preference, personality sheet is made, homosexuality really is just another line added to a Dwarf's description.

Of course, if Toady One actually adds sex time for the Dwarfs, it will be very plain to see.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:46:35 pm by Bot Hack »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2013, 11:47:06 pm »

That is precisely what I meant, there is no difference between male and female in DF. Until a more fleshed out attribute, skill, preference, personality sheet is made, homosexuality really is just another line added to a Dwarf's description.
Why should there be? Being gay doesn't have any effect on your strength, dexterity, or anything else. Why should it effect attributes in the game?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2013, 11:51:54 pm »

Why should there be? Being gay doesn't have any effect on your strength, dexterity, or anything else. Why should it effect attributes in the game?

Well, it all depends upon the behavior of the Dwarf, what kind of person in the end is forged. We only have a vague preference and personality sheet to decide how Dwarves are generated.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2013, 11:53:30 pm »

Well, it all depends upon the behavior of the Dwarf, what kind of person in the end is forged. We only have a vague preference and personality sheet to decide how Dwarves are generated.
So why should homosexuality figure into that at all?

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2013, 11:55:03 pm »

I'm sorry but I am finding it hard to follow you. The fact is, homosexuality WILL figure into it. I have been reading the thread and it seems that the consensus is that homosexuality should be added just to have more flavor text in the descriptions of "thoughts and preferences."

DF really needs a more dynamic sheet to generate Dwarves, with certain traits and personalities affecting skill generation and attribute generation(and the preference for utilizing skills(cowards?)), because as it is now, the Dwarves really are just asexual bots, unrecognizable from the others, besides the forced personality and mental attributes which only go so far to affect dialogue in the meeting hall which oddly every Dwarf usually lacks skill in. I am positive I have seen it mentioned before, but I'll search before starting a new thread; I really want at least some presence of social skill for each Dwarf.

Again I will stress, generation needs to be way more dynamic in producing that very special, and capable migrant.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:13:55 am by Bot Hack »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2013, 12:17:33 am »

The fact is, homosexuality WILL figure into it.
[/quote]How do you think it will figure into it? What would it effect?

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2013, 12:21:42 am »

The fact is, homosexuality WILL figure into it.
How do you think it will figure into it? What would it effect?
[/quote]

Attraction to males? There is no sex time for Dwarves, so it really is quite useless now.

Why not meet some fearless homos and ask them how they have developed through our intolerant society? I am not trying to sound aggressive, but imagine being homosexual, now does it sort of sink in?

I heard from a friend, who is quite a knowledgeable fellow, that homosexuals, that is, the definite, unalterable occurrence in nature, frequently lived as god-mothers, nurturing children in ancient pre-Christian days. This happened in Indo-European societies at least.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:40:01 am by Bot Hack »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2013, 12:45:21 am »

Bot Hack, they weren't saying there should be more flavor text, they were saying there should be more meaningful impact, of the type the current dev cycle is working on.

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2013, 12:56:38 am »

My apologies, I may get greatly enthusiastic for EXPOUNDING THE TRUTH!

All in earnest you understand.  ;D

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2013, 02:10:37 am »

on the other hand, troops consisted of gay lovers means also lots of soon-to-be-widows wittnessing their loved ones being mutilated to death. Aaand it's back to tantrum spiral.

I'd prefer a caste of eunuch-warriors, if castration was possible in the game

If they witness it and go berzrk amidst the goblins that's not so bad.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2013, 02:12:21 am »

relationships are also a means for dwarves to gain good and bad thoughts and another venue for the game to tell a story. i'm ok with homosexuality in game being simply the removal of the gender restriction on the formation of "lover" relationships. why are you so opposed to simplified homosexuality when every other relationship is simplified?

That would be an addition of bisexuality, technically. I'd be in favor of that too, but it wouldn't allow for Spartan elite gay troops, which I kind of want.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2013, 02:29:53 am »

Until a more fleshed out attribute, skill, preference, personality sheet is made, homosexuality really is just another line added to a Dwarf's description.
This is entirely fine.

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2013, 02:58:18 am »

Well I won't bother reading the other posts, going straight for my opinion: No.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12