Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Edit: the (realistic) future you are working towards.  (Read 7240 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
Re: The best possible future (with emphasis on possible)
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 12:52:48 pm »

I missed that the first time! I must have spent too much time with curls.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 12:57:45 pm »

Best for whom? And how distant a future?

Ideally, we could have the UN granted massive powers (say, the ability to pass and enforce legislation that affects the whole world, 25-50% of each nation's military, etc), then have it lead us into a new age of prosperity by fixing worldwide governing issues, and the environment, and then having us expand at a reasonable pace to infinity and beyond, until the heat death of the universe or until everything gets eaten by a black hole.

More realistically, an ideal world for "whatever lives there" is something like what happens in Peace On Earth, perhaps with some human survivors replacing the cute forest creatures and rebuilding a new society (just a less insane one).

The most realistic future that doesn't involve killing off almost everyone, but is still pretty good, would be the US, EU, and other major democratic powers exchanging their effective methods with the world powers that have differing ideas on government (i.e, China, the Middle Eastern nations, etc), so everyone had a fairly effective government made from the good bits of everything...or SOMETHING happens to make the world governments more effective, efficient, and cooperative. Then these new governments would work on fixing their past mistakes and such.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2013, 01:01:13 pm »

People lose the ability to lie and decieve, accept logic unconditionally and without personal offense, gain a stronger sense of empathy and understanding that extends beyond what's in front their noses and lastly become able of controlling their own reproduction as a species.
The world would become a far better place in an instant. Can't make a good future if the people in it are still a bunch of shaven primates.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2013, 01:06:49 pm »

ill be sitting on my throne of twinkie boxes again

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 01:29:49 pm »

People lose the ability to lie and decieve, accept logic unconditionally and without personal offense, gain a stronger sense of empathy and understanding that extends beyond what's in front their noses and lastly become able of controlling their own reproduction as a species.
The world would become a far better place in an instant. Can't make a good future if the people in it are still a bunch of shaven primates.
Or the entire world goes up in flames. The lie and decieve thing + complete rationality is a dangerous thing

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 01:48:00 pm »

Aliens invading our world, assimilating us, sucking earth dry and leaving the few bits and pieces of earth life behind on their raped homeworld. Thus cleaning this universe of earthbound vermin.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: The best possible future
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 02:03:50 pm »

I here I thought the answer was that since time immemorable you had desired to be a luxurious shirt, hence why you were trying to inflate your thread count.
Sigging this if that's ok =P

OP: Complete political and economic upheaval combined with a hardened, more resilient version of the internet that could survive infrastructure collapse. This might allow both rational reorganization into a resource-based economy and full retention of technological progress, in ideal conditions. Emphasis on ideal.

Failing that, diaspora into the rest of the solar system might allow the same thing, but would leave the Earth pretty damaged in the inevitable environmental catastrophes to come. If the singularity isn't near (I'm assuming you're ruling out anything beyond current science, at least by common understanding), WW3 is what's coming in its place, because the existing economic powerhouses are going to have no choice but to make some sort of resource grab to fill in their gaps once climate change starts seriously affecting the food supply.

And I consider myself an optimist =P
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 02:12:07 pm »

Humans release the zombie virus leading to an interesting apocalypse, failing to leave the world as a nuclear wasteland. Cats evolve to become the next rulers of planet Meow.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 09:40:40 pm »

Technology is adopted that gives humans ultimate pleasure/satisfaction. Systems are created to keep humans hooked into this and keep them alive, as well as creating and growing babies at a rate matching that of death from old age, breeding properly so as to avoid excessive evolution. Humans never do anything again; everyone is happier than ever before; no immortality.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 09:47:21 pm »

People finally ascend to the best humanity can be; a species of thinkers, dreamers and lovers. Objective and empathetic, seeing one another as individuals to be respected for simply being there. Ignorance, greed, senseless violence - gone. Not through magic or science, but by the every day conscious decisions of people.
Immortality or not, this is a better world. Plagued with all the sufferings of the future, the only difference is the people there can face their problems together.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 12:38:29 am »

I here I thought the answer was that since time immemorable you had desired to be a luxurious shirt, hence why you were trying to inflate your thread count.
At least take out the spelling error I was too sleepy to catch.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 01:11:25 am »

At least take out the spelling error I was too sleepy to catch.
But it adds to the character :D Okfine
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 01:23:35 am »

A future that looks lke this is best future I can possibly imagine.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Note: Finely mustachioed man is me/Tesla, and the other guy is obviously King DZA. That is temple to Armok on mars. This is not actually our plans though. He said I can't grow baby's in tubes, nothing about working them as slaves.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 02:11:57 am »

Anything is possible. A utopia is theoretically possible, if only everyone could agree on a utopia. /thread
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 02:49:05 am »

Oreo O's come back
They still sell them in South Korea. You could have them imported.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5