Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Edit: the (realistic) future you are working towards.  (Read 7222 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: The best possible future (with emphasis on possible)
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2013, 12:26:28 am »

Normally, when faced with such a question, I'd begin to go on about my idealistic plans and visions of the future being a global, cooperative and anarchistic society where currency and laws have become obsolete and gift economies are the norm. This time however, I think I shall have to abandon all of those ideas, and instead simply side with Misko:

A future that looks lke this is best future I can possibly imagine.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now that's a future I think we could all get behind.
My favorite part is how your pose makes you so triumphant in the last panel. "BASK IN THE GLORY OF THE FACTORY".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2013, 01:14:02 am »

As the above pictures clearly show, the apex of mankind's future is not FTL travel or immortality, not the creation of AI or contact with alien races, not the discovery of the soul or undeniable proof of God's existence. No no no...the ultimate realization of all humanity's dreams and efforts, the one true culmination of our entire species' existence, is the widespread manufacturing of legwear beautifully crafted from one of the universe's most glorious substances, so that it may be available to every man, woman, and child that chooses to embrace the bright new era in human history. Simply put:

The future is golden pants.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2013, 04:04:32 am »

Ah, God pants.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2013, 12:41:14 pm »

A world where everyone is wise.

What I mean is this: Everyone is simultaneously incredibly well educated and incredibly experienced. They understand the world, the universe around them, and they don't let it interrupt their progress. They work to fix injustice, they strive for balance in every point in life. Balance with the chaos around them, the constant oscillation of time, and the universe around us. They work for the future.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2013, 02:35:00 pm »

I want Novel to stop making almost-pointless threads almost everyday.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2013, 02:40:22 pm »

I want a world where everyone dies with a smile on their face.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2013, 02:56:57 pm »

It would be easier to just put a smile on every dead people. Just saying.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2013, 03:21:52 pm »

Noted and recognized prior, rehashed. If you want a clarification, what i wanted was for people to tell me the future they're realistically working towards. I'll edit that in.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Edit: the (realistic) future you are working towards.
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2013, 03:36:50 pm »

I definitely won't be working toward mine. Best, perhaps, but I hate it.

I'm waiting for AI to take over human dominance. AI that only gains pleasure from meaningful advancements, not all the crap humans do to waste their time. I don't care whether humanity stays or goes. I was going to work on AI, but Kurzweil's already on that; I'll see what the industry looks like in a few years, but I'll probably go into virtual reality development to keep humans entertained. Humans have fun and don't destroy things, AI gets things done. People can do things if they want. Good future, right?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2013, 03:54:39 pm »

Nah. Taking humanity out of the loop is in both ideas, and looking at AI it will be built by us and will most likely be based off us, and in either case will have a if necessary nuclear kill switch and zero percent approval rating. If we consign the species to virtual reality to make sure we don't cause any other harm it would probably be more usefully spent killing us all and avoiding the long term costs. If we have a reason for humanity, it's that we have the potential to help the rest of life. Burning it all and hoping something better comes along both avoids gaining something better quicker, is iffy in this corner of space and will change some species being most likely fucked over to many of them certainly being so, let alone what could happen to the lot of them if they get unlucky with enough asteroids.
Reading a thinner book

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2013, 04:10:25 pm »

I think it would be best to do away with humanity once we have fully viable AI, but humanity won't agree to that. So give them something to keep them occupied. If humans don't want to work, they shouldn't. The best creators are voluntary ones, and it's not like we'll need factory workers and the like. We don't even need those now, we just haven't replaced them because we want to provide jobs.
People can do things if they want.
If someone thinks they can make things better and will enjoy doing so more than they enjoy the VR, they're welcome to step out. I more aim to take away work from those who don't want it, in this regard.

EDIT: Totally related.  http://alessonislearned.com/index.php?comic=4
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 04:14:16 pm by Lectorog »

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2013, 04:14:22 pm »

Humans release the zombie virus leading to an interesting apocalypse, failing to leave the world as a nuclear wasteland. Cats evolve to become the next rulers of planet Meow.
Among other issues, you clearly don't understand how evolution works.

I see that our feline overlords have already zapped you with the neural control ray. With my tinfoil helmet I will never succumb to such foolishness.

Now that the thread topic has been amended (slightly), I'm gonna go for striving for knowledge and self-enlightenment. I want to hone my skills in writing and odd jobs so that I don't have to succumb to a mind-numbing office or retail job. Currently this evolves living in the pauper style, in an endless shortage of coffee and foods beyond the simple lentil soup, and leaning upon my family's generosity in letting me live at home without a rent.

Must achieve dreams.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2013, 10:28:07 pm »

I already know that I will never be able to realistically obtain a love life, so I instead have been striving for enlightenment; be it religiously, or personally. So far, I have concluded that I have been intentionally limiting my true self from others, for the sole reason of politeness alone (I mean, it's been the decent thing to do, right? I was raised to be a respectful and helpful individual; no matter who I help out. Even if they condemn me to a life of hell (with at least enough self respect to know when to tell them to stop; since I no longer need to tolerate their crap anymore when I reach/obtain my goal.).). I only reserve my truest of selves, not for family, but for the one who is willing to be my life-long companion. I mean, they deserve to know exactly what they're getting themselves into; and who they'll partake in creating in the future.

Seeing as that is utter bullshit; I think I'll be more willing to uncensor myself, do away with my shame and dignity, and be my complete self, in virtual and real life. I came with a personal disclaimer, in my own way. At times where I would normally not fight, I will fight; at times I normally won't drink (alcohol), I'll get drunk and beyond, my room and living areas will always be my lowest priority, and I will be my definition of comfortable; meaning, even if I ought to dress nice, I will dress casual, even, and especially, during black-tie events, just out of spite. I will give meaning to Dennis Leary's "Asshole" song, but only to enough of an extent that I won't be a complete monster; even my evil side has standards. Hell, if the opportunity calls for it, I will even do the many things I am not ever allowed to do in an RPG; or anything akin to them. In other words, expect tons of unorthodox behavior and manners; and probably the most lateral thinking and behaviors you'll ever witness from me.

I guess to sum it up; I'm loosening up the leash of my more feral self and my inner demon, and let people learn the real me, and not give a shit about how they react. As un-cultured as you'd expected my dark side to be, he's actually surprisingly well-kept. On a daily basis, I'll look like a bum, but when the time calls for it, I do and will make the effort to look decent (I do clean up well, after all. Add to it, even I want to look/feel clean/nice every once in awhile, for myself. Least I can do is at least have self-respect.). Like I said before, even my darkest side has standards. I suppose that would be another resolution to add to this new year/b'ak'tun; be my truest self, and don't give a shit what anyone thinks about it. Fuck their opinion; they don't like me, treat me like they did before my true self was revealed; ignore me. I don't give a flying fuck anymore. I'm responsible for my own happiness. This is me taking responsibility for it. Don't like how I'm going about it? Fuck you too.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:46:36 pm by Itnetlolor »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2013, 08:30:48 am »

Itnetlolor, if you really want your true self to be that way, that's fine. But are you really going to say that you enjoy hurting other people?

You may say that's your true self, and I believe it is: you're showing that you're an animal, one that has been backed up against the wall time and time again, never rewarded. And now you're unleashing the violence, the anger, the hatred.

I can't judge a man based on a post. But if you truly want to seek Enlightenment, I think it's time you take a long look at yourself. Ask yourself the most basic questions: Who am I? What do I want to be? How do I exist? Why do I want to exist?

If you truly want enlightenment, you will need much knowledge, and much experience. I wish you luck in the future. Don't think of yourself as evil. You're not. You're just human.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2013, 08:38:28 am »

I already know that I will never be able to realistically obtain a love life, so I instead have been striving for enlightenment; be it religiously, or personally. So far, I have concluded that I have been intentionally limiting my true self from others, for the sole reason of politeness alone (I mean, it's been the decent thing to do, right? I was raised to be a respectful and helpful individual; no matter who I help out. Even if they condemn me to a life of hell (with at least enough self respect to know when to tell them to stop; since I no longer need to tolerate their crap anymore when I reach/obtain my goal.).). I only reserve my truest of selves, not for family, but for the one who is willing to be my life-long companion. I mean, they deserve to know exactly what they're getting themselves into; and who they'll partake in creating in the future.

Seeing as that is utter bullshit; I think I'll be more willing to uncensor myself, do away with my shame and dignity, and be my complete self, in virtual and real life. I came with a personal disclaimer, in my own way. At times where I would normally not fight, I will fight; at times I normally won't drink (alcohol), I'll get drunk and beyond, my room and living areas will always be my lowest priority, and I will be my definition of comfortable; meaning, even if I ought to dress nice, I will dress casual, even, and especially, during black-tie events, just out of spite. I will give meaning to Dennis Leary's "Asshole" song, but only to enough of an extent that I won't be a complete monster; even my evil side has standards. Hell, if the opportunity calls for it, I will even do the many things I am not ever allowed to do in an RPG; or anything akin to them. In other words, expect tons of unorthodox behavior and manners; and probably the most lateral thinking and behaviors you'll ever witness from me.

I guess to sum it up; I'm loosening up the leash of my more feral self and my inner demon, and let people learn the real me, and not give a shit about how they react. As un-cultured as you'd expected my dark side to be, he's actually surprisingly well-kept. On a daily basis, I'll look like a bum, but when the time calls for it, I do and will make the effort to look decent (I do clean up well, after all. Add to it, even I want to look/feel clean/nice every once in awhile, for myself. Least I can do is at least have self-respect.). Like I said before, even my darkest side has standards. I suppose that would be another resolution to add to this new year/b'ak'tun; be my truest self, and don't give a shit what anyone thinks about it. Fuck their opinion; they don't like me, treat me like they did before my true self was revealed; ignore me. I don't give a flying fuck anymore. I'm responsible for my own happiness. This is me taking responsibility for it. Don't like how I'm going about it? Fuck you too.

I doubt it. Highly.
Reading a thinner book

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5