Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Edit: the (realistic) future you are working towards.  (Read 7226 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: The best possible future (with emphasis on possible)
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 03:06:41 am »

I dream of a future where incredibly vague threads are posted slightly less often.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 03:23:05 am »

I dream of a future where I don't have to sidestep so much bullshit on a regular basis. This may involve me getting my driver's license and living off the grid in an RV, or it may involve me moving into the right apartment in the right place and not having to deal with so many sources of bullshit on a regular basis while I live out my life in near-solitude.

However I also have dreams of dying alone in my eighties, and sometimes dying in my eighties with what appears to be a young brunette woman at my bedside, one I assume might be a potential daughter I might have some day. I have had dreams like that since I turned eighteen. Who else can say they have seen their potential deaths in their dreams?

Probably a lot of people, but still.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 02:28:39 pm »

We find a way around the second law of thermodynamics, P=NP, and we finish physics.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 05:36:42 pm »

People lose the ability to lie and decieve, accept logic unconditionally and without personal offense, gain a stronger sense of empathy and understanding that extends beyond what's in front their noses and lastly become able of controlling their own reproduction as a species.
The world would become a far better place in an instant. Can't make a good future if the people in it are still a bunch of shaven primates.
The thread title clearly states we're to stick to the realm of possibility.

Humans release the zombie virus leading to an interesting apocalypse, failing to leave the world as a nuclear wasteland. Cats evolve to become the next rulers of planet Meow.
Among other issues, you clearly don't understand how evolution works.

Technology is adopted that gives humans ultimate pleasure/satisfaction. Systems are created to keep humans hooked into this and keep them alive, as well as creating and growing babies at a rate matching that of death from old age, breeding properly so as to avoid excessive evolution. Humans never do anything again; everyone is happier than ever before; no immortality.
I'm not sure if you understand evolution either. Why would it be bad?
Other than that, no major complaints.

We find a way around the second law of thermodynamics, P=NP, and we finish physics.
That's a good start.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 05:39:04 pm »

I dream of a future where incredibly vague threads are posted slightly less often.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 05:42:50 pm »

I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: The best possible future
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2013, 06:13:25 pm »

Oreo O's come back

I had forgotten these existed until now. You torture me by reminding me of them.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2013, 06:20:25 pm »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2013, 07:49:57 pm »

Technology is adopted that gives humans ultimate pleasure/satisfaction. Systems are created to keep humans hooked into this and keep them alive, as well as creating and growing babies at a rate matching that of death from old age, breeding properly so as to avoid excessive evolution. Humans never do anything again; everyone is happier than ever before; no immortality.
Over a long enough period of time (this system would be designed to last as long as the solar system) some humans may "adapt" in such a way that keeps the machines from fulfilling their purpose, like remaining conscious of the world around them. With random breeding this is very unlikely, but having a system to keep watch over it just in case ensures that humanity will never do anything like have to adjust the system or consider leaving it.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2013, 07:54:42 pm »

Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 08:04:29 pm »

I dunno, Novel seems to be capturing the essence of General Discussion pretty well. He has things he wants to discuss, so he discusses them with people and starts other people discussing various topics. It works, and no-one else is doing much there.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 08:07:21 pm »

Over a long enough period of time (this system would be designed to last as long as the solar system) some humans may "adapt" in such a way that keeps the machines from fulfilling their purpose, like remaining conscious of the world around them. With random breeding this is very unlikely, but having a system to keep watch over it just in case ensures that humanity will never do anything like have to adjust the system or consider leaving it.
I'm not sure why this would be possible, problematic, or insoluble once detected.

I dunno, Novel seems to be capturing the essence of General Discussion pretty well. He has things he wants to discuss, so he discusses them with people and starts other people discussing various topics. It works, and no-one else is doing much there.
I contributed some ideas a while back. Now I'm commenting on others' because no one commented on mine.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, 09:03:20 pm »

I'm not sure why this would be possible, problematic, or insoluble once detected.
I haven't learned about evolution much past a high school biology level, so for all I know it could be impossible. It would be a simple thing to put in a system to regulate breeding, so there's no significant disadvantage to doing so over letting it be purely random. A bit of regulation to prevent some things from going wrong is all it would be.

I contributed some ideas a while back. Now I'm commenting on others' because no one commented on mine.
Novel's topics promote some worthwhile discussion, so I welcome them. I don't really know why/how some topics are more popular than similar ones, but I'm fine with whatever works. I don't see them as hideous blotches on the beautiful face of the GD topic list or anything like that - if I don't want to read them I don't have to - so there's no disadvantage that I know of there.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 09:10:20 pm »

I haven't learned about evolution much past a high school biology level, so for all I know it could be impossible. It would be a simple thing to put in a system to regulate breeding, so there's no significant disadvantage to doing so over letting it be purely random. A bit of regulation to prevent some things from going wrong is all it would be.
Well, if such a thing is possible and simple, why not.

Novel's topics promote some worthwhile discussion, so I welcome them. I don't really know why/how some topics are more popular than similar ones, but I'm fine with whatever works. I don't see them as hideous blotches on the beautiful face of the GD topic list or anything like that - if I don't want to read them I don't have to - so there's no disadvantage that I know of there.
Oh, you meant the thread as a whole, not ideas in the thread. Never mind.
Sig

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2013, 12:20:23 am »

Normally, when faced with such a question, I'd begin to go on about my idealistic plans and visions of the future being a global, cooperative and anarchistic society where currency and laws have become obsolete and gift economies are the norm. This time however, I think I shall have to abandon all of those ideas, and instead simply side with Misko:

A future that looks lke this is best future I can possibly imagine.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Now that's a future I think we could all get behind.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5