Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Exploration mode  (Read 960 times)

flarn2006

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exploration mode
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:32:45 am »

I think there should be a fourth mode just called Exploration. In this mode you can select a part of the map and just walk around freely as if you were in Adventurer mode. However, you won't need to worry about hunger/thirst, night time darkness, or being attacked. Also everything will be visible at all times, regardless of whether or not your "character" has seen it. The fast travel screen will also work differently. Rather than just "walk" around on a larger scale, it will actually show a map and let you teleport anywhere. You can also select from a list of sites and structures to go to.

Where's the fun, you may ask? Well, rather than an actual game mode, it would be something more to complement Legends mode—something you'd choose if you'd just like to get a feel for the layout of a certain area, or to see what has generated in the world. Recently I was looking around in Legends mode and found some guy who was entombed in a town somewhere. Once I found the town on a map (which took a while—maybe this could be made easier as well?) I decided to see if I could find his tomb. It took me several tries to get to the tomb, as every other time I was attacked by enemies on the way, or I drowned, or something. I just wanted to actually see him buried.

One last thing: it would be nice to be able to access this mode, and Legends mode, while you have a fortress or an adventurer in that world. If it could be considered cheating, just have it show the world as it was before you started that game.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Exploration mode
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 06:58:34 am »

One last thing: it would be nice to be able to access this mode, and Legends mode, while you have a fortress or an adventurer in that world. If it could be considered cheating, just have it show the world as it was before you started that game.
It would be problematic, because the game modifies the assets when it prepares a mode. You'd have to keep a copy for the Explorer to see.

Urist McShutup

• Escaped Lunatic
  • A world with no nobles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 01:03:11 pm »

But it is a good idea :)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 08:58:29 pm by Urist McShutup »
Urist may shut up, Urist will shut up, Urist McShutup

flarn2006

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 11:17:26 pm »

Another thing I forgot to mention: In this mode you won't be able to kill anything or talk to anyone. You can, however, select a character to view his/her entire history. Same with towns, structures, etc. on the map. It's sort of a cross between Adventurer mode and Legends mode.

Also, does anyone have any idea why I can't "export site map" for any sites other than human towns?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 10:14:28 am »

Other races' sites don't have maps in 0.34.11.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Urist McShutup

• Escaped Lunatic
  • A world with no nobles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:52:06 pm »

Another thing I forgot to mention: In this mode you won't be able to kill anything or talk to anyone. You can, however, select a character to view his/her entire history. Same with towns, structures, etc. on the map. It's sort of a cross between Adventurer mode and Legends mode.

Also, does anyone have any idea why I can't "export site map" for any sites other than human towns?

Or you could kill others and be invincible to adjust the history if you don't want some creature when you embark wherever.
Urist may shut up, Urist will shut up, Urist McShutup

Bot Hack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 11:30:30 am »

I suggest being a bird for this. Indeed, flight and sight is all you need here.

IMPORTANT: I know you can alter the size of that little box cam in upper right to be able to view more levels above or below you but it restricted in that if you want a wider view you are given less levels(height) to see through, vice versa.

Since this mode will get rid of creature reactions(thus the entire computer processing of movement, etc.), I hope the view cam there could be improved to see more levels below and above you and to have a wider view of what is around you above and below. I suppose the entire right side of the screen could be dedicated to many of these screens, like the "tab" function in Dwarf Mode that opens up all the menus and maps.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:43:41 am by Bot Hack »