Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 130

Author Topic: You are a new God  (Read 220537 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God
« Reply #1815 on: February 05, 2013, 09:15:19 pm »

The problem with using fire everything, even against aircraft(they go by fast enough I doubt it would have enough time to work effectively, though it might), is if someone makes heat-resistant troops. Our enemies will adapt to us as much as we to them(alright, not as much, considering life and chaos, but you get the point). That's the point of diversity.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: February 05, 2013, 10:11:43 pm »

The problem with using fire everything, even against aircraft(they go by fast enough I doubt it would have enough time to work effectively, though it might), is if someone makes heat-resistant troops. Our enemies will adapt to us as much as we to them(alright, not as much, considering life and chaos, but you get the point). That's the point of diversity.
Not to mention that bit about how they might not be affected.
Thankfully, this medieval setting seems to lack advanced fighter jets, but we really should have versatility.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: February 05, 2013, 10:27:35 pm »

Not to mention that bit about how they might not be affected.
Thankfully, this medieval setting seems to lack advanced fighter jets, but we really should have versatility.
But it has falcons in spades.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: February 05, 2013, 10:39:00 pm »

I suggest we create the Warp Bulls, at first appearing only a little larger than normal boars, but with the ability to utilize chaotic energies to change their trajectories, so their charges cannot be side-stepped. They also have thicker hides than normal animals. In battle, we can glaze them in fire-nectar to make them nearly indestructible infantry crushers.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: February 05, 2013, 10:44:42 pm »

I suggest we create the Warp Bulls, at first appearing only a little larger than normal boars, but with the ability to utilize chaotic energies to change their trajectories, so their charges cannot be side-stepped. They also have thicker hides than normal animals. In battle, we can glaze them in fire-nectar to make them nearly indestructible infantry crushers.
Warp bulls or warp boars?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: February 05, 2013, 10:55:32 pm »

Warp Cows?

MOOOOOOVE OVER MOOTHERFUCKER!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: February 05, 2013, 11:06:55 pm »

Thing is, we don't have cruise missiles, so a battleship is still a valid option by your reasoning, although as I understand it we want something more like a battlestar than a battleship.
I meant that it's pointless to get medium strength  weapons. Every battleship in history was designed like - some high caliber guns + some small calliber guns for point defense. Like :

8 × 38 cm (15 in) SK C/34 (4 × 2)
12 × 15 cm (5.9 in) (6 × 2)
16 × 10.5 cm (4.1 in) SK C/33 (8 × 2)
16 × 3.7 cm (1.5 in) SK C/30 (8 × 2)
12 × 2 cm (0.79 in) FlaK 30 (12 × 1)
No one built battleships to put 50 9 in guns on it
Deathstaring  would be putting one  50 in gun on it, not sure that it's a good approach either, but surely better than a shitload of weapons

We need quite versatile point defense, to counter different treats
1) Tortoises of various sizes
2) Crossbows
3) Nets shooting
4) "Vacuum cleaners" (isn't it fun to suck enemy inside and put directly into furnace? )
5) And our best point defense - our own air units

Honestly, I have no fine ideas for the big guns, so feel free to make some, just don't fill the fortress with hundreds of medium  strength things and leave place for the airbase role
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: February 05, 2013, 11:19:12 pm »

What happen to just turning this castle as a forward base of operation in war time? Right now your sounding like you want it to be a weapons platform.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1823 on: February 05, 2013, 11:26:33 pm »

What happen to just turning this castle as a forward base of operation in war time? Right now your sounding like you want it to be a weapons platform.
Hey, I prefer it as a mobile airbase first. But few powerful guns can't hurt. And point defense is required
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: February 05, 2013, 11:28:12 pm »

Attach smaller islands to the main fortress. The small islands will be weapons platforms and docks for flying creatures. In fact, shape it like a chaos star. Each spike is another island coming off the main body.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1825 on: February 05, 2013, 11:43:51 pm »

The two aren't mutually exclusive, you know.

Attach smaller islands to the main fortress. The small islands will be weapons platforms and docks for flying creatures. In fact, shape it like a chaos star. Each spike is another island coming off the main body.
Patience, Grasshopper.
...But yes. If we don't make it like this to start, we can add new islands later, or make a horizontal tree to build from, or something.
Sig

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: February 06, 2013, 12:28:06 am »

No. Shape it as two concentric circles.

:)

Diversity doesn't mean a bunch of medium strength. It means some medium, some heavy, some light. For this? I'd say we need light weapons for close range defense, and heavy artillery for long range support. I love inventing stuff. So...for our point defense? Those tortoises would be very effective against boarders,even if they are tiny. But being tortoises, we need a fast reaction force to keep them from getting too far before they arrive. Thus, I suggest Chargers. Modified big cats, to be longer, with an extra set of legs, bigger teeth, and stronger body. No wider, ally, but basically, make them built for speed, with thick frontal bones to let them smash into enemies, and then tear into them. The pouncing is the part we like. Against flyers, we need a versatile weapon system turret. A tree, made to be flexible and bendable, of it's own accord at a low skill level, or it could be targeted manually by a more intelligent and more capable Stem(basically connected their growy hands to it) needed. Thus; no need for constant manning, and no unneeded resources spent on making it fully automated when not necessary. These could grow on them the following weapons:
Flack Pods, semi-aware seed pods that explode into shrapnel when they are near an enemy; it's bloody hard to hit those fast ones directly.
Flair Seeds, small(relatively, maybe two inches diameter) seeds that have a chemical reaction ncreasing their temperate incredibly en route, and thus grow in effectiveness the farther away the enemy is, to a point. Still effective up close, what with the high speed sharpness.
Fun Spores, spoke pods that explode into drifting spore clouds, dispersed easily and carried away by the wind...such as that in the wake of the enemy flyers.

For heavy artillery, similar, but really just giant mutation things(probably look like a combination of fungus and animal, to get the needed force), to launch various Shells. Especially Fire and Vine ones. Fire has no real shockwave, unlike solid, but starts a hearty conflagration! Vine ones have semi-sentient vines with thorns and the like, which ensnare and strangle their victims. Acid shells would be helpful against armored enemy formations, and air burst ones could spread fungi spores or poison, especially with Krait's help. His power, I feel, would be most beneficial in just making it so all our projectiles are guided, essentially. Woo winds!

Breeding chambers are a must, I have to say. And so are heavy transports to get our big guns across the field. Speaking of which, we need big guns. I say we merge an elephant with fungus, to make a mobile artillery piece. and we still haven't made our stems grow their own weapons, or made any new dreadnought. We could probably make them rather cheaply simply by using just life. Wooden core with bone plating, covered by a chitin shell to protect it from heat or slashing? And then the various things it. Could grow on it? We have our Life Guard.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: February 06, 2013, 12:34:10 am »

IF we're gonna talk about quantities of what armament class, I suggest we look at actual battleship classes, such as the Yamato class and the Iowa class.  They had a few big guns as their main armament, a whole host of medium guns for closer range/smaller vessels/AA, and then a few small gun for defense.  We can likely nix the small guns since we will likely use our AA to defend from boarders, and the AA can be dual purpose, for both the bombardment and AA roles.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: February 06, 2013, 12:42:52 am »

IF we're gonna talk about quantities of what armament class, I suggest we look at actual battleship classes, such as the Yamato class and the Iowa class.  They had a few big guns as their main armament, a whole host of medium guns for closer range/smaller vessels/AA, and then a few small gun for defense.  We can likely nix the small guns since we will likely use our AA to defend from boarders, and the AA can be dual purpose, for both the bombardment and AA roles.
The Stems can be light AA, we can make some air-whales outfitted with shell launchers for mobile bombardment, and maybe some Gourd Trees for long distance bombardment when we don't wanna waste the whales.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: February 06, 2013, 12:55:37 am »

Just ask him to leave enough space for future weapon placement for now we want some basic anti-air and the chaos death beam.
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 130