Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 130

Author Topic: You are a new God  (Read 220574 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God
« Reply #1800 on: February 05, 2013, 09:41:36 am »

No bomb bays, just bombs. Like in WWI.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: February 05, 2013, 09:54:38 am »

Do you plan to drop bombs from the fortress? What for?  It should be far far from any combat in safety. Long range shelling strike squadrons and paratroopers is it's role

Put that bombs in claws of whatever flying creatures we have and mimic what modern Navy does. Yes, we may and should have some munitions in storage, but not bombs meant to be thrown from the fortress itself

As for AA gun (And back up engine)  for the fortress,  I repeat my proposal :

Tortoises  with a size of a cat. Reproduce by eggs. Eat flammable materials  have no internal organs as they  powered by magic of fire... Store  fire in their shells, can open holes in the shell and shoot rays of fire, warm air, smoke or ash
Have sticky retractable legs, can attach themselves to almost any surface, have  a hard shell that have great insulating properties. Feel sources of heat, so can aim at enemies even with head hidden. Doesn't fully die unless fire inside the shell is extinguished, If head\legs are injuried\lost\dead they will regrow, come to life if there are enough energy inside ( so even if it's deathfielded it's not exactly died)

Civilian roles:
1) Provide fertilizer (ash,)
2) Heaters (produce warm air).
3) Waste bin

Military roles:
Can be used as
1) Small turrets with a serious punch for it's size that can be attached to anything, can be carried to any battle and positioned in key places with little preparation
2) Jet engines (they shoot warm air)
3) Smoke generators
4) Alive mines ( being small they can hide and attack when needed)

In short: very universal creature to have.
May make large tortoises too, but small size provide many benefits, from faster reproduction to stealth to  to utility so should start with those

Plus mechanical rapid fire crossbows\ballistas

Plus, important: We need many  windmills on the fortress, they will help us to store mechanical energy for all those mechanisms we'll have That's not modern tech. That's dwarf tech.
Build few towers, only for some uberguns, other buildings should be nests\baracks\housings

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

InZane

• Bay Watcher
  • [PIMP_CANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: February 05, 2013, 10:00:53 am »

I PTW anything that seems interesting

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: February 05, 2013, 11:38:39 am »

and maybe we should think about expanding and diversifying our economy a little on the side after this, maybe some of that strong spider silk cloth/armor as a luxary item while most kept for us?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: February 05, 2013, 11:43:24 am »

Why not develop a line of modified animals, completely useless for war, but could be used for farm labour very effectively and then sell those?

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: February 05, 2013, 12:21:06 pm »

These suggestions are all over place here is the priority on how we should do it.

1. Castle weaponized
2. Get it flying if the weaponizing is complete
3. Build guardians for our afterlife
4. Defenses for our village.
5. Modify Existing creatures example stems.
6. Economy.

Ideas: Defense

Replicate our chaos rose wall and put it on the perimeter of the corrupted forest.
-chaos rose wall will be a lot thicker and taller then the one surrounding the village.
-be able to attack other opponents that are attacking it.
-be able to learn from its mistakes and doesn't keep reusing same strategy if proven ineffective.
-be able to modify itself for example a enemy is attacking with siege weapons but it out reach of the rose wall. It can modify itself so it can produce long range weaponry to attack the opponent.

Corrupt another mile of forest except the trees will be indistinguishable from other unmodified trees
-trees won't have any distinguishing markings on it
-will have microscopic fungus spores that will stick to enemies skin or go into the person's body through nose, mouth, ears. and eyes.
-the spores will not activate until the person is deemed an enemy to us.

The point to this is basically lull enemies in false sense of security by the time they reach the "real" corrupted forest. We can turn their rear flank into fungus spawn while we can trap them into a pincer maneuver with stems.

The non-lethal flowers
-These flowers will double as internal defense but at the same time look pretty.
-They can shoot variety of different things from paralyzing spines to sleeping gas.
-The point of these flowers to be non-lethal. To quell any riots or act as suppressors for any rebellions just in case enemies start to non-conventional acts of war.

Modify existing units

Stems
-strong regeneration if the stem gets damage when in contact of earth or sun.
-Any chopped of tissue with sufficient biomass will regenerate into individual stem.
-Hive mind used for coordination and communication between stems.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:32:10 pm by jaass »

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: February 05, 2013, 12:34:51 pm »

and (if the priest is out doing our missionary stuff) 7. check on our priest progress in ceres?

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: February 05, 2013, 02:36:47 pm »

Do you plan to drop bombs from the fortress? What for?  It should be far far from any combat in safety. Long range shelling strike squadrons and paratroopers is it's role

Put that bombs in claws of whatever flying creatures we have and mimic what modern Navy does. Yes, we may and should have some munitions in storage, but not bombs meant to be thrown from the fortress itself

Tortoises  with a size of a cat. Reproduce by eggs. Eat flammable materials  have no internal organs as they  powered by magic of fire... Store  fire in their shells, can open holes in the shell and shoot rays of fire, warm air, smoke or ash
Have sticky retractable legs, can attach themselves to almost any surface, have  a hard shell that have great insulating properties. Feel sources of heat, so can aim at enemies even with head hidden. Doesn't fully die unless fire inside the shell is extinguished, If head\legs are injuried\lost\dead they will regrow, come to life if there are enough energy inside ( so even if it's deathfielded it's not exactly died)

Civilian roles:
3) Waste bin

Military roles:
Can be used as
1) Small turrets with a serious punch for it's size that can be attached to anything, can be carried to any battle and positioned in key places with little preparation
3) Smoke generators

May make large tortoises too, but small size provide many benefits, from faster reproduction to stealth to  to utility so should start with those

Plus, important: We need many  windmills on the fortress, they will help us to store mechanical energy for all those mechanisms we'll have That's not modern tech. That's dwarf tech.
Build few towers, only for some uberguns, other buildings should be nests\baracks\housings
Thing is, we don't have cruise missiles, so a battleship is still a valid option by your reasoning, although as I understand it we want something more like a battlestar than a battleship.

As for a battleship being a useless design philosophy, I would like to point out that there is not a whole lot that is more effective in combat than a salvo from a battleships main guns, sure, they generally have ~1/3 the range of an anti ship missile, but they're cheaper and easier to maintain.  Secondly, a battleship is a lot more difficult to sink than an aircraft carrier due to much heavier armour.  Thirdly, a battleship can also mount cruise missiles.  Fourthly, we have no other navy to protect it with, really.  Once our two dragons are down and kraits dudes are dead it would become defenseless in a slugging match, since it would have less armour and a much lighter armament, if we gave it heavier guns then it would be capable of combating such threats more effectively, not to mention being able to attack other targets as well, and draw fire away from our forces.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: February 05, 2013, 02:48:09 pm »

Civilian roles:
3) Waste bin

Military roles:
Can be used as
3) Smoke generators

Thing is, we don't have cruise missiles, so a battleship is still a valid option by your reasoning, although as I understand it we want something more like a battlestar than a battleship.

As for a battleship being a useless design philosophy, I would like to point out that there is not a whole lot that is more effective in combat than a salvo from a battleships main guns, sure, they generally have ~1/3 the range of an anti ship missile, but they're cheaper and easier to maintain.  Secondly, a battleship is a lot more difficult to sink than an aircraft carrier due to much heavier armour.  Thirdly, a battleship can also mount cruise missiles.  Fourthly, we have no other navy to protect it with, really.  Once our two dragons are down and kraits dudes are dead it would become defenseless in a slugging match, since it would have less armour and a much lighter armament, if we gave it heavier guns then it would be capable of combating such threats more effectively, not to mention being able to attack other targets as well, and draw fire away from our forces.
As far as I see it, the fortress is essentially our Death Star, it's a city designed to serve as a mobile weapons platform and staging area for our troops.
Essentially our mobile, heavily defended, Chaos shooting heart.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: February 05, 2013, 04:36:54 pm »

We gave Leto two minutes to catch the trogs.
He had four minutes left when he was done.
How can we use our time traveler to our best advantage?

Don't forget to congratulate Laskus on his victory.

I say we put our equivalent of naval guns on this, frightfully powerful and very long range.  Not to mention the drop pods and fireball throwers and Kraits idea and rapid flechette cannons (with the flechettes delivering the spores or germinating a seed if they miss) and bomb racks for all sorts of things and a couple small anti-boarder flamers and of course, our monstrous manarack powered fire beam.  Of death.  We want this thing to be suitably over powered, since we want it to be serving as our battleship.  OF DOOM.
If this is even remotely efficient, it will be devastating to our enemies. Let's do it, and make it efficient.
The goal of these should be varied; maybe 20-25% for dealing with singular, powerful enemies, 70-75% wide area-of-effect weapons for dealing with enemy armies, and a couple of weapons for destroying structures. Note that these weapons would be useful for other purposes--the bunker-busters would probably be useful on giant golems, for instance, and the antimaterial guns would probably be useable on common infantry.

stuff
+1
+1

and maybe we should think about expanding and diversifying our economy a little on the side after this, maybe some of that strong spider silk cloth/armor as a luxary item while most kept for us?
Didn't we already outfit our soldiers in silk armor?
We should make sure the Stems have silk armor, too. Hey, could we use thick silk cloth as armor for our fortress?

These suggestions are all over place here is the priority on how we should do it.

1. Castle weaponized
2. Get it flying if the weaponizing is complete
3. Build guardians for our afterlife
4. Defenses for our village.
5. Modify Existing creatures example stems.
6. Economy.
I'd put the economy much higher, and the guardians for the afterlife lower.

Ideas: Defense

Replicate our chaos rose wall and put it on the perimeter of the corrupted forest.
-chaos rose wall will be a lot thicker and taller then the one surrounding the village.
-be able to attack other opponents that are attacking it.
-be able to learn from its mistakes and doesn't keep reusing same strategy if proven ineffective.
-be able to modify itself for example a enemy is attacking with siege weapons but it out reach of the rose wall. It can modify itself so it can produce long range weaponry to attack the opponent.
Sounds expensive, but potentially very effective.

Corrupt another mile of forest except the trees that distinguishable from other unmodified trees
-trees won't have any distinguish markings on it
-will have microscopic fungus spores that will stick to enemies skin or go into the person's body through nose, mouth, ears. and eyes.
-will not activate until the person is deemed an enemy to us.
The point to this is basically lull enemies in false sense of security by the time they reach the "real" corrupted forest. We can turn their rear flank into fungus spawn while we can trap them into a pincer maneuver with stems.
Oh my.

A "trojan horse" flowers
-These flowers will double as internal defense but at the same time look pretty.
-They can shoot variety of different things from paralyzing spines to sleeping gas.
-The point of these flowers to be non-lethal. To quell any riots or act as suppressors for any rebellions just in case enemies start to non-conventional acts of war.
I'm not sure why I like these so much. Maybe it's the image of SWAT teams using flowers against rioters.

Modify existing units

Stems
-strong regeneration if the stem gets damage when in contact of earth or sun.
-Any chopped of tissue with sufficient biomass will regenerate into individual stem.
-Hive mind used for coordination and communication between stems.
Sounds acceptable. Given the rate at which Stems reproduce, sooner is probably better than later...

Civilian roles:
3) Waste bin

Military roles:
Can be used as
3) Smoke generators

As far as I see it, the fortress is essentially our Death Star, it's a city designed to serve as a mobile weapons platform and staging area for our troops.
Essentially our mobile, heavily defended, Chaos shooting heart.
And the Death Star fell because it couldn't defend against a single fighter flying up to it and dropping a bomb down a hole. (Not covering the hole didn't help, either...)
Point is, we can afford to stick some defensive weapons on there. I imagine this as being our battlestar, holding "stables" for dragons and housing for other areal troops but also plenty of heavy weaponry that makes it capable of turning the tide in battle. It should probably be mostly used for defensive combat, but there's no denying that a well-armed flying castle could easily turn the tide of a war. Ever read the Dragonlance Legends trilogy? Imagine Kitiara's battle plan, but stick some giant flamethrowers and such on the citadel.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: February 05, 2013, 04:42:15 pm »

And the Death Star fell because it couldn't defend against a single fighter flying up to it and dropping a bomb down a hole. (Not covering the hole didn't help, either...)
Point is, we can afford to stick some defensive weapons on there. I imagine this as being our battlestar, holding "stables" for dragons and housing for other areal troops but also plenty of heavy weaponry that makes it capable of turning the tide in battle. It should probably be mostly used for defensive combat, but there's no denying that a well-armed flying castle could easily turn the tide of a war. Ever read the Dragonlance Legends trilogy? Imagine Kitiara's battle plan, but stick some giant flamethrowers and such on the citadel.
Actually, the Death Star was covered with turrets, and even with its glowing weakspot, which it had for some engineering reason, the only reason it was destroyed was because Jedi cheat.
And it was not a single fighter that destroyed it. That was just the one that took the shot, with plenty of support.

Point is, your Death Star point is wrong, but as for the rest, +1.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: February 05, 2013, 05:01:30 pm »

Actually, the Death Star was covered with turrets, and even with its glowing weakspot, which it had for some engineering reason, the only reason it was destroyed was because Jedi cheat.
And it was not a single fighter that destroyed it. That was just the one that took the shot, with plenty of support.

Point is, your Death Star point is wrong, but as for the rest, +1.
I'll admit to not having seen Star Wars in a while.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: February 05, 2013, 08:53:13 pm »

So long story short, we need a fighter screen and point-defense system.

Those tortoises would work well.

Congratulate Leto on his amazing mission and laksus for the best fight of the day.

Enjoy feast!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: February 05, 2013, 08:57:47 pm »

Congratulate Leto on his amazing mission and laksus for the best fight of the day.

Enjoy feast!
We can install something a lot more powerful than turtles on those.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:00:31 pm by Remuthra »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: February 05, 2013, 09:00:43 pm »

Enjoy feast!
The turtles would not work well, because we can install something a lot more powerful than infantry platforms.

They'd be the figert-screen, for any flying thing that gets close. I imagine the screen being nothing but turtle blasting fire out of their mouths and shouting IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR because chaos. Screens are meant to be a very close-range autoturret system and a self-perpetuating flame-blasting reptile goes great with our theme and style.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 130