Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 130

Author Topic: You are a new God  (Read 220736 times)

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God
« Reply #1440 on: January 22, 2013, 03:03:03 am »

All in favour of trying to make our stems a full blow race, say aye.
AYE!
Maybe allowing them and humans to reproduce together, so we end up with a soulful, free-willed hybrid in the long term? And then... Ok, I know -->OOC...

Otherwise, agreeing with GWG. (that mean yes to serena's offer, with the still-sell-booze-to-dwarves option)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: January 22, 2013, 06:43:45 am »

and as for Serena's Offer : 4
I think we should do it, but under several conditions.
1) we should still be able to produce and trade all nectar related finished goods
2) Her people need to share the profits (only a small amount though, nothing too significant).
3) Her poeple, when trading, need to make it known that Serena isnt responsible for the nectar, we are and therefore the peoples thanks should go to us as well as Serena (as her people were the ones who made the powerful potions).

I'm too tired to think of other conditions.
4. Her people can't sell straight nectar on their own. We get a non- distribution clause.

This.
My suggestion? Begin expanding. To Ceres. Let's kick those other gods out, and get some worshipers. But before that, we need information about it. We need a flock of Invisijays.

I suggest we give some people boons. Not ten people, maybe four. Two with life, two with fire, have our elite boon users begin training them. Maybe attempt a chaos boon and see what happens.

We have the feast and contests tomorrow. I suggest we give Tiberius and Laskus each a nugget of Manarack, putting it in their bodies. Have them train today and see what changes due to it. As well, we should bring food to the feast. Begin bringing in large numbers of bluemelons and bloodmelons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, Majorboon our alchemist with Chaos. Srsly. Why haven't we yet?

You decide to agree to Serena's offer, albeit with a few conditions. It's a bit vexing that she won't share the formula for the healing potion she mentioned - she certainly seems to have considerably more alchemists than you do. But you think you might have a way to level the playing field a bit...

"Edward," you greet the village alchemist after finding him, hard at work making more fire-nector bombs. "You have proven quite talented so far - I am willing to grant you a Major Chaos Boon, if you think you can make good use of it."
Edward stops, sets aside the explosive reagents (carefully), and blinks.
"I'm er, honored mi'lord - but what could I do with it?" he asked, looking equal parts eager and puzzled.
"Well, it is the element of change - it would depend largely on you, as for what you could manage with it." you reply promptly, "Mutate a benign ingredient into a volatile one, alter nightshade to cure rather than poison...I would advise you to start small, for as powerful a tool Chaos is, it is equally deadly to the foolish and weak-willed."
Edward considers that for a moment, then gives you a decisive nod. "I'll do the best I can," he said with a grin. "Possibilities, possibilities..."
Noting the slightly manic gleam in his eyes, you hastily add, "Perhaps you should practice...away from the village, at least at first. I can have Eldrick grow you a mushroom-tower to serve as a temporary lab."

As he nods, you carefully apply the boon, trying not to cause any accidental mutations with a careless burst of Chaos energy. Thankfully, nothing of the sort occurs, and the boon sinks in successfully.

Though you can tell Edward is dying to test it out immediately, he refrains from doing so as he packs up some of his lab equipment. With a word from you, Eldrick begins to grow the new lab.

With that set in motion, you set about overseeing the myriad preparations for the feast. The entire Stem army is tasked with hauling in enough bluemelons and bloodmelons, as well as barrels of beer and other amenities. Everyone seems to be talking about the upcoming champion fights, and Ustan has wasted no time in taking bets on the outcomes. Tiberius and Azula are sparring energetically - although Tiberius is going easy on her, fragile human body and all - while Laksus attempts to train his pack of werecreatures. Hmm, you really should come up with a name for them, now that you think about it.

As if the village's spirits weren't high enough, a young couple - two of the more recent migrants - announce that they're with child. As congratulations pour in, you notice with some surprise that the young woman looks like she's holding back tears.
"You seem upset," you gently murmur to her privately.
She stiffens, then nods with a sniff. "We...we've tried before. Many times. We lost all of them, miscarriages and stillborns, every one," she whispered. She looked up, her eyes suddenly intent.
"But you- you could do something, you're a God of Life - please, please, I couldn't bear an-"
She stops speaking, as more well-wishers approach. "We'll talk later," you assure her privately.

Shortly after, the dwarven caravan arrives, and Ustan eagerly gives out samples of fire-nector rum. Several unconscious dwarves later, the entire supply is bought out. The silkweb also proves of interest to the dwarves, who seem to think it an ideal material for bridging underground chasm's with - flexible and stronger than steel.  All told, after expenses you make a profit of 1351 Silver. The caravan will stay for twenty-four hours, they inform you. Ample time to purchase anything, if you so desire. The dwarves' stock includes:
-Four crates of iron bars
-Eight crates of copper bars
-An adamantium dagger
-Three caged troglodites, captured from underground caverns
-Five gold bars
-Seven silver bars
-A variety of food, booze, and copper weaponry

Some of the merchants hear about the festival, and express an interest in attending if possible. Seeing an opportunity to garner more goodwill with the dwarves, you go to ask Krait if he has any objections.
"Not at all," Krait responded, upon being asked. "Fine by me, I'm just surprised the little kneebiters want to come."
"Excellent," you reply - you didn't think there would be a problem, but with Krait few things were certain. You hesitate, and then ask,
"Earlier, you mentioned an elder Chaos God named Agamemnon...is there something we could do to help him fight the Empire of Tranquility? Would he ally with us?"

Krait chuckled quietly. "Agamemnon allies with no one - he sees such things as open signs of weakness. From what I've seen, Order is slowly gaining ground, but Agamemnon is making them pay dearly for every step they take towards his capital city, Corrin."
"How can he hold out against nine kriffing Gods for much longer by himself?" you ask skeptically.
"Ahhh, but he's a wily one," Krait replied. "Take for instance, his assassins - the Baelthorax. They kill the target, perfectly mimic their appearance and mannerisms, and proceed to masquerade as the victim for sometimes years at a time. An entire justicar platoon was replaced once, or so I hear - one justicar at a time, until there were more Baelthorax than real justicars."
"Is there a way to expose a Baelthorax?" you ask curiously. "A test?"
"That would be the cleverest part - the justicars devised a test, based on Baelthorax they'd encountered whose flesh blistered at the touch of silver. But the vast majority of true Baelthorax do not in fact, react badly to silver. And so they were tested, and trusted."
Krait laughed appreciatively. "It took years for the justicars to realize their folly, and since then they have trusted no test, even though a true test may exist."
His presence regarded you intently.
"I could arrange an audience, but it would take time. He is quite busy, after all, fighting nine Gods of Order."

After talking with Krait, you head back over to Aquitaine to discuss Serena's proposal. An hour of negotiating later, you both agree on a six month contract. Serena cannot redistribute unrefined fire-nector, and you can still sell processed forms such as fire-nector rum and bombs. On the way back you notice Aquitainian earth mages flattening terrain into a road, in the direction of Minas Iroh.

At the end of the day, much progress has been made on the fortress - the circular base is nearly finished. The last crop of field-grown Stems have also been harvested. Lastly, Edward seems to be set up in his newly-grown lab, and is carefully experimenting with his new boon.

Is there anything you wish to do before tomorrow?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: January 22, 2013, 07:12:11 am »

I don't think we need an audience with Agememnon. he has more important things to deal with.

about the Couple with child, Having this much misfortune might not be natural. we should examine them closely, see if there are any curses or such on them.
sort of like what Maher did to the fields of Minash Iroh.

after taking a look at the new flame that will come into this world we should turn our attention to the old embers ever burning in our afterlife and tend to their needs.

edit: after some points brought up in the OOC, I agree that the afterlife should wait till we can devote some real attention to it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:06:17 am by Talvara »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: January 22, 2013, 07:25:15 am »

We don't have time to tend for their needs, the feast is to close but we should to 1) visit the afterlife and talk with souls, looking for something interesting

As for trade... copper weapons... pfff... but still 2) buy us much copper weapons as we can, we have quite an army and need to arm it, spend rest of the silver on the iron, we'll find uses for it (golems)

It's too late to Upgrade Tiberuis, if we fail no time to repair damage, and he'll have no time to learn new skills. So no upgrades

And one of  my last attempts to get boons:
3) grant 10 farmers minor plant boons with bit of chaos (2+1 mana)  and make a competition, whoever will create something really  useful, will get major boon, others will be stripped of power If all fail, all will get striped of it after one day, if all are talented and create really useful crops 10 major boons (or at least have that minor boon). Order Eldrick to oversee the farmers but do not aid them in their experiments

Other than that - manasaving
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:29:29 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: January 22, 2013, 07:37:18 am »

We don't have time to tend for their needs, the feast is to close but we should to 1) visit the afterlife and talk with souls, looking for something interesting

As for trade... copper weapons... pfff... but still 2) buy us much copper weapons as we can, we have quite an army and need to arm it, spend rest of the silver on the iron, we'll find uses for it (golems)

It's too late to Upgrade Tiberuis, if we fail no time to repair damage, and he'll have no time to learn new skills. So no upgrades

And one of  my last attempts to get boons:
3) grant 10 farmers minor plant boons with bit of chaos (2+1 mana)  and make a competition, whoever will create something really  useful, will get major boon, others will be stripped of power If all fail, all will get striped of it after one day, if all are talented and create really useful crops 10 major boons (or at least have that minor boon). Order Eldrick to oversee the farmers but do not aid them in their experiments

Other than that - manasaving

+1

Except, whos going to clear up the mess if/when one of the booned people creates something unintentional? that ends up hurting or maybe even killing some of our followers?

Inithis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Riftborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: January 22, 2013, 07:38:58 am »

That adamantine dagger would be good for Laksus, I think.
He immediately begins to beavergoat the man quite thoroughly! At the very beginning, the man is mystified by James' actions, but his face quickly becomes a mask of horror when the procedure starts!

"OH GODS WHY? WHYYY?"

After a twenty minute session, the man is left white as a sheet, hairless and completely and utterly dead. James congratulates himself on a job well done!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: January 22, 2013, 07:43:03 am »

Except, whos going to clear up the mess if/when one of the booned people creates something unintentional? that ends up hurting or maybe even killing some of our followers?
That's why Eldrick should oversee their efforts and be ready to intervene if something like that happens. We may oversee it, too. If we'll have enough time
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 09:01:22 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: January 22, 2013, 07:44:45 am »

That's why Eldrick should oversee their efforts and be ready to intervene if something like that happens

then, maybe, if we end up doing this boon competition, have Azula on standby too so she can burn anything that proves especially resistant.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: January 22, 2013, 08:24:41 am »

One important clarification - that competition is for new crops, and boons are plant based. We got one free plot ( and should make more)  and need to plant something. Let our people be creative

We may create a crop ourself, and probably will if our worshipers fail (round wood-like shields, spices, dye, fuel, glue, poison, darts-arrows-javelins, hard nuts for slingshots, ropes, rubber, natural cement, booze that doesn't need to get brewed, acid.... there are hundreds of things that we can grow )  but why not try to test creativity and magical talents of our farmers?  And they may do that more cost and time effective. Especially if we get few talented major plant\chaos booner(s) that will make that types of plants that we ask for, while we do other stuff and not waste our time and efforts on making modifications to plants

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 08:31:39 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: January 22, 2013, 08:34:52 am »

Aren't we going to do anything with the kid? We were talking about modification now nothing.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: January 22, 2013, 08:36:14 am »

Aren't we going to do anything with the kid? We were talking about modification now nothing.

guide the birth, maybe check for any curses.

maybe give the child a bolstered immune system.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: January 22, 2013, 09:24:33 am »

One important clarification - that competition is for new crops, and boons are plant based. We got one free plot ( and should make more)  and need to plant something. Let our people be creative

We may create a crop ourself, and probably will if our worshipers fail (round wood-like shields, spices, dye, fuel, glue, poison, darts-arrows-javelins, hard nuts for slingshots, ropes, rubber, natural cement, booze that doesn't need to get brewed, acid.... there are hundreds of things that we can grow )  but why not try to test creativity and magical talents of our farmers?  And they may do that more cost and time effective. Especially if we get few talented major plant\chaos booner(s) that will make that types of plants that we ask for, while we do other stuff and not waste our time and efforts on making modifications to plants
Or, you know, less freaky stuff. A new spice, quick growing grains, that sort of stuff.

Or if you really want something special, how about some sort of plant that absorbs miniscule amounts of manarack, to help promote mages?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: January 22, 2013, 09:40:27 am »

I included spices in that list, as for food... We covered that with melons, some variety is good, but we need many other things to boost our military and industry

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: January 22, 2013, 10:25:39 am »

Surely Eldrick could grow some sprouts that the alchemist can take to his lab to make ...experiments on. The combined power of his chaos boon and his alchemical knowledge could create something pretty interesting, from more efficient food production and neat potions to crazy poisons tat Krait might be interested in or some sort of crazy kill-everything plant...
Coming to think of it, maybe we should give him more equipment to secure the experiments, e.g. a chamber with thick glas windows (ask Azula to smelt some sand), that he can manipulate from outside of it by telling a Stem inside to do stuff for him.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: January 22, 2013, 11:26:26 am »

For the baby, I think it could be interesting to make him/her partly plant-like. Like, 5-10% Stem-like. Not too much so it's not gross or anything. Also, losing several babies in a row can be very natural. Check for disease and such, but I doubt it has anything supernatural.

Maybe an audience with Agamemnon could be interesting too, but not anytime soon. We have many things to do first.

I'll let you decide for the trade.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 130