Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 130

Author Topic: You are a new God  (Read 220951 times)

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God
« Reply #1155 on: January 20, 2013, 03:39:08 pm »

I think the manner in which they attack is more based on a mix between their training and how we order them to attack.  I don't think fusing them would make us lose either method of attack, it would just make a more efficient overall soldier design and it would allow us to breed our army much faster, probably almost ridiculously so.

Also fungus isn't an animal or a plant, it fits into it's own category but we're a chaos god so I don't think fusing them would be any more impossible than walking plants, zombie like fungus monsters, or dragons.

Lastly; I don't think we're against human soldiers, we just don't want to use human soldiers until we have more followers.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: January 20, 2013, 03:41:39 pm »

It would be simply because how would you go about growing bodies or transforming enemies into plants? The actual creature of the fungus spawn is a parasitic fungus, which would not work combined with the plant soldier.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: January 20, 2013, 03:43:09 pm »

So while we're creating creatures to do their jobs and every bit of labor in the village, what will our people do? Our people need something, they can't sit around twiddling their thumbs and praying to us for an hour and a half each day.

I am against any more creatures, ever. We use humans from now on. Human innovation, human labor, and human blood. We don't want our people to live in poverty. That means jobs, for which they can get paid. Unless you want to just hand out a portion of our silver to all our followers each day.

Too many divine workers will lead to a revolution by our own people. Clam the fuck down with the creation. Notice how every other god uses at least a small regiment of human soldiers. I get you don't want them to be in danger but, like children, they won't be all right if you block every threat to their existance. And it's not like them dying means a total loss of mana anyway, just means we should move elsewhere and start over.
Every other god? They're all used due to the fact they have boons. The only humans in maher's army were boon clerics. The Justicars were also boon based. Anyway, we're a god of life, and the only creature I proposed were for battle - the villagers are far more suited to most mundane roles, I agree, but we can't afford to lose worshipers when we can create far more effective soldiers which give no real loss if they die. And anyway, how do you plan for humans to fight Maher's dracoliches?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: January 20, 2013, 03:44:50 pm »

Purring maggots are insects which you can milk, and chitin is generally better than leather.
Purring maggots aren't beetles and chitin is unuseable in DF as it is IRL.

I just don't believe that is possible, because when it comes down to it the saps are plants, while the fungus spawn are animals.
The fungus spawn are fungi...still closer to animals than plants.

The purpose of fusing fungus spawn and plant soldiers into one species is that it would make one far more effective species that can survive without hosts but also grow much quicker with them.  Imagine if all the fungus spawn that we currently own could also produce seeds and be grown like our saps.  How much more effective would our saps be if they could turn all the enemies they kill into more saps?
I can't say as I support this idea...... (it seems to me that) The fungus spawn are meant to be extremely fast growing, shambling horror kind of units, whereas the saps are more along the lines of disciplined soldiers. Both are suited to different situations, and to fuse them would be to lose one form of attack in favor of another. We're chaos, and hence I think variety should be important even beyond the strategic implications.
Agreed.

So while we're creating creatures to do their jobs and every bit of labor in the village, what will our people do? Our people need something, they can't sit around twiddling their thumbs and praying to us for an hour and a half each day.
Agreed.

I am against any more creatures, ever. We use humans from now on. Human innovation, human labor, and human blood. We don't want our people to live in poverty. That means jobs, for which they can get paid. Unless you want to just hand out a portion of our silver to all our followers each day.

Too many divine workers will lead to a revolution by our own people. Clam the fuck down with the creation. Notice how every other god uses at least a small regiment of human soldiers. I get you don't want them to be in danger but, like children, they won't be all right if you block every threat to their existance. And it's not like them dying means a total loss of mana anyway, just means we should move elsewhere and start over.
Agreed with most of this, but I hate the ultimatum. We will probably make new critters later, but only to solve specific problems, or perhaps some heavy infantry. The biggest problem with never making another creature is the lack of flexibility.

The villagers should tend the fields and such. Have some people refine firenector. Have the grenades made and improved.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: January 20, 2013, 03:47:54 pm »

The purring maggot is an insect, the beetle was just an example. As for chitin, we should be able to use it as a harder leather.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: January 20, 2013, 03:49:39 pm »

And there are plenty of insect with fur, it just they too small to use.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: January 20, 2013, 03:51:44 pm »

Why would we need to spend mana to mine? The mole's already doing it?
Because it's look quite mediocre at that? Because unless we create dozens more it will have a crawling speed? Because roots should be cheeper then crateing dozens of such creatures ( that's thousands of mana) Because that roots will give us synergy?
Another option is to let dwarf mine it because they will mine it way faster than that's mole. Especially with it's aid

And we can't create a female mole and wait till moles reproduce, that's way too slow ( Mammals are quite bad at fast reproducing, comparing to insects)

I prefer 50 manarack now, then 100 later

Untrue. Do you honestly expect me to be able to find every little nugget of information? I just didn't catch it, is all.
I expect that player who is interested in strategy at least reads the spoiler from time to time
But you admitted that you like this game as a forum variant of spore

Look at the Stems, for example. But wealth is of no value save potential, and if kept potential, is useless.
Exactly, stems reproduce without cost. Why make new creature if we can put our efforts in making more stems? Saving mana for other things
Look at my fire tree idea, it's a way to improve growth rate of firejackets, increasing our troop generation (and fire nectar) among other things.  And it is increasing survavibility of our forces in village, effectively increasing it's strength
What you offered instead?Some kind of new creature, right? (I think it was scouts, but maybe it was someone else idea, can't be sure)

1) I like to see chaos as benevolent too, especially when paired with life. But I also see it as being very creative.
I don't see the idea to burn down a forest to replace it with own as benevolent at all

3) How will creating creatures make enemies? If we just let them rampage, yes, but otherwise, no.
You think we can control all animals forever? I doubt it. They will rampage, they will spread over the world. Many gods will dislike that.

Why focus solely on economy?
Because that's what create troops, make them better, more advanced. That's increase our mana generation, that's let us creating useful buildings... Developed agriculture may triple our stems generation easily... Then triple again, then again. But that's not sound as epic as making another beast, isn't it?
Developed fire based crafts, will make us more firejackets
Developed livestock keeping may allow us to breed spiders much more effectively
Using mana on eggs may let us accelerate their growth and make adult firedrakes, that will lay their own eggs, increasing troop generation more then creating new breading pair of new kind of monster
And so on. Economy will give us the troops, smart usage of mana will give us troops. It maybe less fun for someone, but that's more practical way to make army, then make new, new and new types of creatures
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: January 20, 2013, 03:55:34 pm »

Ninja party!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: January 20, 2013, 03:57:56 pm »

Maybe some grenadiers with a minor fire boon so they can't be burned by misfires, and have some means of defense after they run out of grenades.

We may also be able to use the explosiveness of firenectar to make some arquebus-like weapondry. From there we can progress linearly until you guys feel we have enough tech. I've not seen many fantasy worlds in musket eras, I think introducing that type of weapon might add another intersting dimension to the game.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: January 20, 2013, 04:03:33 pm »

I can't understand the whole enthusiasm about the mole. It has a size of a horse! It's not enough for large scale mining at any fast pace... We eiher make more or use it in other roles or accept that our mining is very minor
And I am quite interested in what this thing eats, because natural diet of moles doesn't fit

And bookkeeping will be a hell. GM forgot to put the mole into the spoiler :)

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 20, 2013, 04:04:17 pm »

Hey you know how the orc god usually possesses someone for battle like a shaman?  How about we build a cool host body for us in the normal word to partake in battles.  I'm thinking probably some type of golem or maybe a unique plant monster of some type that "sleeps" when we aren't controlling it.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 20, 2013, 04:05:08 pm »

Did anyone ever thought of talking to see the +100 soul in our afterlife are experience miners. I mean there has to be at least one guy who could be used as a foreman.

Also, and idea for the future about the tree of fire being connected to our afterlife. What if when one of warriors can be reincarnated by the tree basically gaining the tree's aura of life and fire,

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 20, 2013, 04:07:04 pm »

Why would we need to spend mana to mine? The mole's already doing it?
Because it's look quite mediocre at that? Because unless we create dozens more it will have a crawling speed? Because roots should be cheeper then crateing dozens of such creatures ( that's thousands of mana) Because that roots will give us synergy?
Well, as it so happens we have no idea how fast the mole will mine because we have been discussing if we want to throw it away or not without bothering to figure out how well it actually digs!

Another option is to let dwarf mine it because they will mine it way faster than that's mole. Especially with it's aid
We might.

And we can't create a female mole and wait till moles reproduce, that's way too slow ( Mammals are quite bad at fast reproducing, comparing to insects)
Well, here's a point for that: We could always increase fertility like we did with all our critters a while back.

I prefer 50 manarack now, then 100 later
I prefer to see how the mole does before condemning it for poor performance!

Untrue. Do you honestly expect me to be able to find every little nugget of information? I just didn't catch it, is all.
I expect that player who is interested in strategy at least reads the spoiler from time to time
Hey, we're not perfect. Newsflash: Neither are you.

1) I like to see chaos as benevolent too, especially when paired with life. But I also see it as being very creative.
I don't see the idea to burn down a forest to replace it with own as benevolent at all
Agreed. Not sure that's what he's doing, though.

3) How will creating creatures make enemies? If we just let them rampage, yes, but otherwise, no.
You think we can control all animals forever? I doubt it. They will rampage, they will spread over the world. Many gods will dislike that.
You're assuming the game goes on long enough for that. Unless we go on a dragonmaking rampage or something, reproduction will be (as you explained) slow. By the time that dragons or whatever multiply enough to make keeping them an issue, we'll either be dead or ruling the world.

14 ninjas, insane
You know my pain. I often get ninja'd three or four times per post, with at least a few ninjas per ninja'ing.
Needless to say, I was ninja'd.

I can't understand the whole enthusiasm about the mole. It has a size of a horse! It's not enough for large scale mining at any fast pace... We eiher make more or use it in other roles or accept that our mining is very minor
WE DON'T KNOW HOW WELL IT MINES.

And I am quite interested in what this thing eats, because natural diet of moles doesn't fit
Perhaps it feeds on (normal) rock. I'm pretty sure something like that was alluded to.

And bookkeeping will be a hell. GM forgot to put the mole into the spoiler :)
Maybe, maybe not; we haven't heard back from the GM on that point yet.

Hey you know how the orc god usually possesses someone for battle like a shaman?  How about we build a cool host body for us in the normal word to partake in battles.  I'm thinking probably some type of golem or maybe a unique plant monster of some type that "sleeps" when we aren't controlling it.
That would make us vulnerable to physical attack, and I don't see the benefit.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: January 20, 2013, 04:07:29 pm »

If we do end up building a golem avatar, we should make it a 12 armed Chaos Golem. Shouldn't dwell on more future projects though.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 20, 2013, 04:09:00 pm »

Why 12 arms?
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 130