Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 130

Author Topic: You are a new God  (Read 221001 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God
« Reply #1140 on: January 20, 2013, 03:12:35 pm »

One; I find making stuff fun
Well, that's personal tastes
Hm I find fun: (in order of importance)
1) Roleplaying a god ( And I like to see our god as a benevolent one, that respects nature and human lives. With some chaotic kinks)
2) Developing an interesting story (many different creatures hurt that, because existing become bland and background. )
3) Involving in politics, making alliances, treaties. Turning our enemies against each other and stuff like that (making creatures without limits will create new enemies)
4) Developing army and economy like in some strategy game ( New creatures is a bad way to develop, there are more effective ones)

I find those fun too. But it's a suggestion game. Not an RPG. We don't each have our own characters.
1) I like to see chaos as benevolent too, especially when paired with life. But I also see it as being very creative.
2) I disagree that having a variety of mythical creatures makes a story bland.
3) How will creating creatures make enemies? If we just let them rampage, yes, but otherwise, no.
4) I love strategy games. I also agree there are more effective ways to develop. But they are also more risky, as most involve putting our follower's in harm's way. Creatures, there is no such issue with, and we can tailor our army and economy to our exact needs and specifications.

Two; It's worked exceedingly well for us in the past.
Then it was needed because we had no other option to defend, now it's better ( more cost efficient)  to develop what we have and use our strengths
Not really. Well, sort of. It's expensive to make fully new creatures, but not so much to start reproducing them after that. Look at the Stems, for example. But wealth is of no value save potential, and if kept potential, is useless.

.but give Lara a Life boon for healing, so she can teach the kiddies.
Looks like you aren't interested in anything but making new creatures. We did that several turns ago
Untrue. Do you honestly expect me to be able to find every little nugget of information? I just didn't catch it, is all.

Give a few others, the first of our followers, minor fire boons
Farming boons are way more important than mostly useless (for economy) fire
Why focus solely on economy? We've got a good income. If we're getting this fortress up, we should start training people to defend it. Fire is an easy and hopefully safe way to do so without making new creatures. Our farms already grow incredulously fast.

It would let other people do too much, and we won't get as much money with it. Instead, sell it as alcohol, a specialized healing solution, a specialized sweetener
We are going in that direction already. But I am not sure that processed fire nectar will sell for better price. It's valued as a way to heal.
I'd prefer agriculture way, not industrial one... Some minor processing is fine, but serious industry  is a wrong direction for our worshipers.
You'd prefer that. I wouldn't. Processed fire nectar may sell for a better price, it may not. But we can charge more for it. After all, it will probably have even better healing properties. Besides, whose to say it's only valued for that? If we process it, and get a variety of products, we can be making even more from it. Easy to do, too. How about industrial agriculture?

Why do we need a theme again?
Because we want our god to like some theme and have style? That's called roleplay
Take a look at my name. What do you think those letters stand for? I know what roleplaying is. I also know what Chaos is. We are a Chaos god. Our theme is 'disorganized but effective'. We don't need an animal theme; bugs simply don't have all the qualities we would need. You can't milk a beetle. You can't get leather or furs from a praying mantis.

On other notes:

Why a detailed plan for the afterlife? we're chaos. It should be a very crazy and strange place.

I was going to say something else, but I forget what...oh well.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: January 20, 2013, 03:15:32 pm »

I would be more for keeping the two separate. In any case, they are entirely different things. The fungus spawn are the bodies of other creatures, being infested and parasitically controlled by the Corruption Fungus. The plant soldiers are essentially growable mini-ents.
Agreed. A fungus hivemind sounds like a neat idea, though.
Neat, but not good to worry about yet.

Anyways. For the record, I am for processing firenector locally pre-export. It improves our monopoly over various derivatives, adds value for us, and possibly reduces bulk, allowing a greater profit per trip.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: January 20, 2013, 03:16:37 pm »

Why not modify the fungus thingy so it can grey-goo the Order lackeys?  When it's done we just burn it out with a massive armada of flying infection control satellites/fortresses.  Call 'em anti-bodies or something.
Sounds like a possibility, but I'd rather modify the fungus than the spawn. And not expect too much of them.
The strength of the fungus spawn is definitely in numbers, and the ability to infect. Perhaps modifying the fungus spawn to generate more spores to be released on death. Also, I'll reiterate my previous idea of the firejacket subspecies, with spores instead of the flames, for a 'hit and run' form of attack. With added chaos from the fact that they turn on themselves.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: January 20, 2013, 03:19:12 pm »

You can't milk a beetle. You can't get leather or furs from a praying mantis.
Dwarf Fortress begs to differ.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: January 20, 2013, 03:22:47 pm »

Why not modify the fungus thingy so it can grey-goo the Order lackeys?  When it's done we just burn it out with a massive armada of flying infection control satellites/fortresses.  Call 'em anti-bodies or something.
Sounds like a possibility, but I'd rather modify the fungus than the spawn. And not expect too much of them.
The strength of the fungus spawn is definitely in numbers, and the ability to infect. Perhaps modifying the fungus spawn to generate more spores to be released on death.
Perhaps. Probably jot right now.

Also, I'll reiterate my previous idea of the firejacket subspecies, with spores instead of the flames, for a 'hit and run' form of attack. With added chaos from the fact that they turn on themselves.
Neat idea. How would that work, again?

You can't milk a beetle. You can't get leather or furs from a praying mantis.
Dwarf Fortress begs to differ.
No, it doesn't. You can't milk any giant beetles, and praying manti give chitin (useless for leather).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: January 20, 2013, 03:23:51 pm »

Purring maggots are insects which you can milk, and chitin is generally better than leather.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 20, 2013, 03:24:04 pm »

our flying fortress should be a flying version of this:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=890&tbm=isch&tbnid=BIcA3RHHAJgUBM:&imgrefurl=http://emergenturbanism.com/2009/06/21/the-genesis-of-complex-geometry&docid=k9cmp1AjDAToVM&imgurl=http://mathieuhelie.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/citadelle-de-lille-2.jpg&w=1537&h=1200&ei=GVL8UN37BMmQ0QW_3YH4DA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=416&vpy=51&dur=1090&hovh=198&hovw=254&tx=169&ty=114&sig=105535961463803354070&page=1&tbnh=142&tbnw=202&start=0&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0,i:106

or

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=890&tbm=isch&tbnid=5RkoTcvfNEozwM:&imgrefurl=http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2007/03/this-stasis-is-preparation.html&docid=q82X-9IBJH7LSM&imgurl=http://farm1.static.flickr.com/127/421575507_2380349342_o.png&w=700&h=483&ei=GVL8UN37BMmQ0QW_3YH4DA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=4&vpy=437&dur=500&hovh=186&hovw=270&tx=171&ty=96&sig=105535961463803354070&page=1&tbnh=137&tbnw=202&start=0&ndsp=31&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:0,i:118

or

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1280&bih=890&tbm=isch&tbnid=0HDhB_4jLZvjzM:&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Star_fort,_fresco,_Vatican_Museum.JPG&docid=L2oiUAGsbY5gGM&imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3e/Star_fort,_fresco,_Vatican_Museum.JPG&w=2580&h=1815&ei=GVL8UN37BMmQ0QW_3YH4DA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=971&vpy=166&dur=272&hovh=188&hovw=268&tx=199&ty=94&sig=105535961463803354070&page=3&tbnh=144&tbnw=218&start=67&ndsp=36&ved=1t:429,r:90,s:0,i:358

After we complete the fortress, expand the afterlife massively.

We also need lots of agricultural and industrial space on the fortress, as well as nesting places for the Dragons, giant spiders and the firebugs we created.

And a third fire tree, which could help protect the fortress with a forcefield?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:27:48 pm by kahn1234 »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 20, 2013, 03:25:51 pm »

add in the sattelite defenses and yes

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 20, 2013, 03:26:31 pm »

Also, I'll reiterate my previous idea of the firejacket subspecies, with spores instead of the flames, for a 'hit and run' form of attack. With added chaos from the fact that they turn on themselves.
Neat idea. How would that work, again?
A modified version of the firejackets that perhaps nest in the spore releasing areas of the spore trees, landing on enemies, shaking the spores off, and leaving chaos to be unleashed. The exact mechanism would have to be worked out unless we go with this one, but that's the general idea.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 20, 2013, 03:27:50 pm »

The purpose of fusing fungus spawn and plant soldiers into one species is that it would make one far more effective species that can survive without hosts but also grow much quicker with them.  Imagine if all the fungus spawn that we currently own could also produce seeds and be grown like our saps.  How much more effective would our saps be if they could turn all the enemies they kill into more saps?  Just IMO and we don't have to do it yet but I do think it would make our military more efficient and it would cut down on the number of species we have which many of you seem to want.

Also ninja'd by a lot of you but the firejacket idea seems interesting and I haven't looked at those fortress links yet.

Edit: Looking at those fortress designs made me want to create a fractal fortress that defies the laws of physics and reality (With Chaos Magic)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 03:31:00 pm by gman8181 »
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: January 20, 2013, 03:30:53 pm »

I just don't believe that is possible, because when it comes down to it the saps are plants, while the fungus spawn are animals.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: January 20, 2013, 03:32:29 pm »

The purpose of fusing fungus spawn and plant soldiers into one species is that it would make one far more effective species that can survive without hosts but also grow much quicker with them.  Imagine if all the fungus spawn that we currently own could also produce seeds and be grown like our saps.  How much more effective would our saps be if they could turn all the enemies they kill into more saps?
I can't say as I support this idea...... (it seems to me that) The fungus spawn are meant to be extremely fast growing, shambling horror kind of units, whereas the saps are more along the lines of disciplined soldiers. Both are suited to different situations, and to fuse them would be to lose one form of attack in favor of another. We're chaos, and hence I think variety should be important even beyond the strategic implications.

Sigtext

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: January 20, 2013, 03:36:25 pm »

So while we're creating creatures to do their jobs and every bit of labor in the village, what will our people do? Our people need something, they can't sit around twiddling their thumbs and praying to us for an hour and a half each day.

I am against any more creatures, ever. We use humans from now on. Human innovation, human labor, and human blood. We don't want our people to live in poverty. That means jobs, for which they can get paid. Unless you want to just hand out a portion of our silver to all our followers each day.

Too many divine workers will lead to a revolution by our own people. Clam the fuck down with the creation. Notice how every other god uses at least a small regiment of human soldiers. I get you don't want them to be in danger but, like children, they won't be all right if you block every threat to their existance. And it's not like them dying means a total loss of mana anyway, just means we should move elsewhere and start over.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: January 20, 2013, 03:36:51 pm »

this is a design which also has a city incorporated: http://mathieuhelie.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/nouvelle-enceinte-de-lille.jpg

now imagine the city inside the fort proper, instead of something outside the actual walls.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: January 20, 2013, 03:37:36 pm »

I can't say as I support this idea...... (it seems to me that) The fungus spawn are meant to be extremely fast growing, shambling horror kind of units, whereas the saps are more along the lines of disciplined soldiers. Both are suited to different situations, and to fuse them would be to lose one form of attack in favor of another.
I agrees with this
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 130