Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 130

Author Topic: You are a new God  (Read 221072 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God
« Reply #780 on: January 17, 2013, 10:10:04 pm »

Yes yes, all very complex and good, but I say we try to use our Chaos element creatively. Namely, sparking a Enlightenment in what seems to be a medieval era culture.

Not only will it give us advances in war, it will make our town a amazing immigration hub, a center of learning (Donut university, anyone?), and most of all, allow our followers to better support themselves.

Of course, it might be too soon for a University of any serious nature. We don't have the manpower for it to be staffed correctly yet, nor the economy to support it. Perhaps just a schoolhouse. We can grow it out of tree seeds or something, and the children would study the natural sciences there. Theological studies would be held in the temple, of course.

We should still have a bunch of mana left over after that, so let's invest some into expanding our afterlife a bit. Like giving the souls there a arena, where they can pit themselves against any creature they wish without fear of true death. Also a slightly bigger size would be nice. We don't have many souls there yet, however, so we can't sink too much into it. Maybe make ourselves a palace or something, I dunno.

Hmmmm... Could we maybe hand off some of the mana to our followers, to do with as they please. We could give some to Tiberious, Laskus, the Priest, Azula, and E. They seem to be our major followers. E's wife too.

This should all be done AFTER we deal with the Siege, Ravenholt and other problems. We may not have much of an excess afterwards.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 17, 2013, 10:10:56 pm »

Every ecosystem have it's limits: territory\sunlight\water\fertile soil.
Those aren't unlimited.  It can't support everything you want without large scale major conquest and destruction of all existing animals\plants to take their place.

Besides we simply don't need more troops

Let's analyze our possible enemies

Justicars: dangerous, but we have a guaranteed ally to fight them. Our current forces are adequate to meet them. Oh, and cold\death god will LOVE to fight against army made from plants and animals, no need to make more targets for him, quality over quantity

Maher : He is busy with the orcs, but is dangerous if we'll have to fight with him. Still we are quite prepared to meet him with whatever he can divert to us

Orcs: The least dangerous, stupid god, stupid orcs rellying on melee and bad magic protection - Let them come in our forest.

No real to build more forces that will starve us, make this land dangerous for migrants and attract major order gods that will dislike destruction of local life...

There are dozens of options how to spend mana in other useful ways than making new creatures.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 17, 2013, 10:14:02 pm »

I propose that we build a giant floating castle that is kept in the air by chaos magic and is capable of shooting fireballs from cannons mounted on its sides as well as raining down fungus spores upon the ground beneath us.  Expensive yes?  An awesome capital for our civilization?  I think so.  Also it doesn't affect the ecosystem but its still an powerful weapon against our enemies or a great defense.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Inithis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Riftborn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 17, 2013, 10:16:52 pm »

I propose that we build a giant floating castle that is kept in the air by chaos magic and is capable of shooting fireballs from cannons mounted on its sides as well as raining down fungus spores upon the ground beneath us.  Expensive yes?  An awesome capital for our civilization?  I think so.  Also it doesn't affect the ecosystem but its still an powerful weapon against our enemies or a great defense.

Hmm. If we're going to do that, we should only start with but a small amount of land to be added unto later, and ask for Krait's help enchanting it.
He immediately begins to beavergoat the man quite thoroughly! At the very beginning, the man is mystified by James' actions, but his face quickly becomes a mask of horror when the procedure starts!

"OH GODS WHY? WHYYY?"

After a twenty minute session, the man is left white as a sheet, hairless and completely and utterly dead. James congratulates himself on a job well done!

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 17, 2013, 10:21:16 pm »

Maybe we could modify the stems and saps to have a hive mind, that is strong enough to instantaneously communicate with each other but weak enough not to develop a consciousness. Also, maybe we should also apply rolepgeek's mutation gene idea.

I prefer improving are army to be more efficient.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 17, 2013, 10:28:02 pm »

Saying a god of death will auto-kill our troops is a bad idea, because it's not true. It means we have an equal playing field, because our life domain will counter act his death one, meaning he can't just obliterate our army, as our fire will counter his frost. In turn, this means we likely can't drive his people insane or spread horrible evil mutating disease that make you shit fire. Instead, it's a measure of troop quality, quantity, and abilities. You really think they'll only send justices next time? We majorly pissed them off.

Though inventing guns is a good idea. Battle is somewhat chaotic, chaos is innovation, and gunpowder is certainly related to fire...or we could simply magic stuff into being better than guns. Like Thorn Autocannons.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 17, 2013, 10:36:58 pm »

I strongly dislike idea of floating due to several reasons :
1) We aren't air god
2) That will most likely need mana to upkeep it in flight
3) Direct damage is almost always bad option
4) It sound too expensive even for 500 mana

My ideas for megaprojects
1) Something (obelisk?)  that will disrupt death magic and hurt undeads in some modest radius around our village (2 of 3 of our opponents are death gods, and our forces are very vulnerable to death magic) May also boost life magic
2) Large manapowered ethernal flame ( Simple? Yes. Effective? Ohhh Yes, Firejackets will love it. As well as any kind of industry. As well as trees that will not get used for fuel as much as before. And it's an attraction for worshipers )
3) Fountain of healing\youth - That will attract immigrants and help our forces a lot
4) Some kind of machine that turns inedible stuff into a fine food
5) Portal that will summon beings of fire from other dimensions

Such simple things are much more practical than expanding our already strong  and naturally growing army, ruining any sanity of local landscape

Oh, and yes, death god will rape our troops composed from low level specialized plants, because death god tend to protect it's forces against life (remember how easily spores died against low level Maher's priests) and their forces use death powered attacks. but we are doing nothing in that direction.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 17, 2013, 10:57:33 pm »

1-3 are good ideas, but I do prefer to improve our army.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 17, 2013, 11:05:56 pm »

Saying a god of death will auto-kill our troops is a bad idea, because it's not true. It means we have an equal playing field, because our life domain will counter act his death one, meaning he can't just obliterate our army, as our fire will counter his frost. In turn, this means we likely can't drive his people insane or spread horrible evil mutating disease that make you shit fire. Instead, it's a measure of troop quality, quantity, and abilities.
While I agree with much of what you say here, I must disagree with the core of the argument.
We aren't equal and opposite. While we can use our Fire and Life power to counteract Maher's Frost and Death power, if he invests more power than we can he wins. On the other hand, if he's stingy with his protection, we could probably drive his people insane while burning the others. Let's bet on his burning through our defenses rather than the other way around, though...

You really think they'll only send justices next time? We majorly pissed them off.
This, ever-so-much. It took all our best troops to drive off a few of this god's basic agents. We have improved our strength since then, but while he hasn't...he can send more. Even a couple dozen Justicars could probably wipe us out, especially since they know our strengths and weaknesses now...

Though inventing guns is a good idea. Battle is somewhat chaotic, chaos is innovation, and gunpowder is certainly related to fire...or we could simply magic stuff into being better than guns. Like Thorn Autocannons.
I like this idea.

Anyways...for our "We Have Too Much Mana" "problem," here's some possible solutions:
1. A mate for the Gold Dragon, or otherwise increasing our dangerous critters.
2. Relatedly, increase fertility and make children of various species mature faster.
3. Some sort of walls--I suppose that bone walls could work, but fire or something like what Limbo (D&D) is made of would be more effective (although likely requiring upkeep...). I'd suggest simple stone walls, but we can't make those. Whatever we make should have gates.
4. A modification for some species we have to make them defensive "turrets." Maybe take some Fungus Spawn and turn them into Spore Turrets, which fire explosive spore pouches. (Even if the spores died, the explosions would help.) We could later add some Flaming Spore Turrets, which fire flaming spore pouches or something...but that might be getting crazy.
5. More Mushroom Towers, ideally paired with #3 and #4.
6. Improve the Afterlife; chances are it'll be a lot more occupied soon...
7. Eternal Flame. More useful would be an everburning torch or furnace or something.
8. While a "Fountain" of Life mightn't be possible for us, enchanting a natural spring or something would.
9. Favors for Krait.
10. Helping Uristiel.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 17, 2013, 11:25:10 pm »

Against justicars we can call for aid, that's a big bonus... But fight will be tough and our afterlife may get more crowded

As for proposed solutions

1. ( But then we should male entirely new dragon that can mate with golden ones and produce hybrids. And ask for Krait's help... And we may do that later... we don't want to spend that much mana on that)
2) Good, simple, effective. That what could be done with fire-drakes, even simple one time acceleration from eggs to adult fire drakes is a mana-effective way to increase our forces.
3) Why not expand existing life wall? Lifebooned can do that
4) Turrets are good. I'd prefer to upgrade existing corrupt trees in that role, but again, I prefer to  delay that.
5) We don't get much migrants currently, and our lifebooner work on this quite nicely without our aid
7) Support :)
9) We may create a dragon for him sometime later (Or rather aid him to create a fire breathing dragon)... Then we both will have dragons that will mate with each other and will share the kids
10) That's what I prefer most, dwarven god ally worth more than new forces

But don't you list death magic suppresion \ life magic boosting obelisk? It should be very effective against Justicars\Maher

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:22 pm »

Against justicars we can call for aid, that's a big bonus... But fight will be tough and our afterlife may get more crowded
Even with Krait, I'm betting the justicars' god, whatshisface, is going to have a lot more power at his disposal. He probably spends more on boons for his lay priests than we get in a day.

As for proposed solutions

1. ( But then we should male entirely new dragon that can mate with golden ones and produce hybrids. And ask for Krait's help... And we may do that later... we don't want to spend that much mana on that)
No and no. We want pure gold dragons as well, and if the first only cost 150 mana the second's likely only going to cost 50-100 mana--well within our price range.

2) Good, simple, effective. That what could be done with fire-drakes, even simple one time acceleration from eggs to adult fire drakes is a mana-effective way to increase our forces.
Thanks.

3) Why not expand existing life wall? Lifebooned can do that
Our existing huh?

4) Turrets are good. I'd prefer to upgrade existing corrupt trees in that role, but again, I prefer to  delay that.
Whatever works.

5) We don't get much migrants currently, and our lifebooner work on this quite nicely without our aid
Whatever. Just an idea.

7) Support :)
Thanks.

9) We may create a dragon for him sometime later (Or rather aid him to create a fire breathing dragon)... Then we both will have dragons that will mate with each other and will share the kids
Hm. Maybe we could take a bat or something, give it firey breath, and let Krait add flight and serpentine traits before we put the finishing touches on it...or something like that.

10) That's what I prefer most, dwarven god ally worth more than new forces
Agreed.

But don't you list death magic suppresion \ life magic boosting obelisk? It should be very effective against Justicars\Maher
That could work, too, but I think we'd need to raise the obelisk itself by nondivine means. Maybe if we converted a mushroom tower or something instead of using an Obelisk...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 17, 2013, 11:52:58 pm »

Well, obelisk is just one of ideas... Form is not important, effects are... ( We may use a high tree in place for obelisk)

Hm, idea:

Everburning immortal holy tree. 
Combining ethernal flame and area of life magic into one megaproject. And it may produce youth fruits from time to time (healing is covered by firejackets, living among the flaming branches of the epic tree)  Should choose some tree in the middle of the village, preferably close to the temple, make it bigger and change to suit our needs.

If we don't help Dwarwen God with a direct attack, I suggest to pour all our aviable mana into that. (preferably including the next day income)

We should get
1) Much more firejackets
2) Area of life magic, that will boost our lifebooners (it should be proportional to the range... Like large bonus directly under it branchs and slowly fading out )
3) Area of death magic suppresion
4) Very valuable tradegood (fruits of youth)
5) Source of fire for our industry
6) It will provide light for our guards, making sneak attack less dangerous
7) Such a miracle will convert migrants that don't worship us, yet

Also, it will be rather hard to destroy. It's protected from cold and death by it's own nature, and its quite pointless to send lightnings into already burning tree.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 12:04:01 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 18, 2013, 12:00:20 am »

That does sound impressive. Once we discuss aid with Uristiel and implement such aid, work on the tree.
Sig

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 18, 2013, 12:00:41 am »

^ Damn, that is a good idea. Maybe next turn we can improve the stems and saps.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 18, 2013, 12:11:39 am »

You know what? Screw that aid to dwarfs and rain of fire... we'll limit our assistance with vital supplies via dragon and hit and run attacks of our vampire

Let's make that tree now, when we have no serious problems and nice quanity of Mana.. Just order corrupted trees to be on alert regarding werewolves and warn Krait about the danger and start doing it!
Oh, and prepare some food\nectar dragon caravan  to the dwarfs, but not send it until we can follow it, or dwarfs may attack the dragon

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 130