Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 130

Author Topic: You are a new God  (Read 221115 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God
« Reply #435 on: January 11, 2013, 11:22:56 pm »

...What the heck kind of wildlife do we have around here? And where is this Komodo you speak of?

Anyways.

We ought to strike back at the orcs. Seven mages PLUS dead orcs? It's like Christmas again.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 11, 2013, 11:30:48 pm »

I think some fantasy games have woods that can grow as tough as steel. A curious idea to try, if we decide to make weapons for our soldiers. But metal might be more.. efficient?
Anyway, I say we let the guys shack up in the village, and ask the guy what exactly the kids can do, and if we can aid them at all(EDIT: Hey, as a Chaos god, couldn't we lower, or channel the random chaos that arises from uncontrolled mages? Like using our power on theirs as a funnel.). And hey, as a chaos god, wildly unpredictable powers are our forte. But we must warn them that our vision cannot be everywhere. However.. if they know the names, or faces of the Justicars chasing them, we can use that to help keep them safe...
Heheheheh. If we see those guys. We get to find out what happens when chaos is directly inserted into a human.

Anyway, on the subject of the gathered cold blooded animals: They'd make great gifts to Krait(I'm assuming we can hand the reins of control over to him at will), if we popped some abilities in them.
I'm still lobbying for giant beetles, personally.

Ooooh. I say we actually pour a butt ton of chaos into some orcs chilling out. And then pour chaos into the situation. Pray to Donut for a blood bath.
Wait that's a terrible idea. Might convince their god to do the same to us.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:36:52 pm by Koliup »

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 11, 2013, 11:35:34 pm »

No, more information will be helpful before accepting the mages; like why are they deemed uncontrollable. More information about Empire of Tranquility and the justicars. Also, we should go ahead with these blaze beetles that can be used with as beast of burden and pseudo war animals. With the croc and Komodo dragon I believe we will have a much superior war animal.

Jbg97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 11, 2013, 11:38:24 pm »

I say we infuse Chaos, Fire, and Life into the skies. That way, we can control the weather or make it rain fire upon attackers.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Owlbread
Everything will burn. Everything must burn.
Quote from: Girlinhat
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
Quote from: Insanity X
And that is how Jbg97 saved dwarfmas

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 11, 2013, 11:39:40 pm »

I think some fantasy games have woods that can grow as tough as steel.
There are real trees called ironwoods. Find some ironwood seedlings and treat them, we'll have steelwood deserving of its name in no time! ...How would we cut it down?

Anyway, on the subject of the gathered cold blooded animals: They'd make great gifts to Krait(I'm assuming we can hand the reins of control over to him at will), if we popped some abilities in them.
I'm still lobbying for giant beetles, personally.
Agreed.

Ooooh. I say we actually pour a butt ton of chaos into some orcs chilling out. And then pour chaos into the situation. Pray to Donut for a blood bath.
Wait that's a terrible idea. Might convince their god to do the same to us.
Yeah. Hilarious, but it might convince her to kill us...

I say we infuse Chaos, Fire, and Life into the skies some clouds. That way, we can control the weather or make it rain fire upon attackers.
Cheaper, and creates a race of living clouds! Also makes more sense.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 12, 2013, 12:00:49 am »

No, more information will be helpful before accepting the mages; like why are they deemed uncontrollable. More information about Empire of Tranquility and the justicars. Also, we should go ahead with these blaze beetles that can be used with as beast of burden and pseudo war animals. With the croc and Komodo dragon I believe we will have a much superior war animal.

Beetles can lay far more eggs than the lizards, at once. Which means more bugs. Besides, we're trying to keep a theme running. Also, beetles would probably be willing to eat plants, and due to this being the middle ages, plants would be far easier than conjuring a steak or butchering a cow every time a lizard wants a meal.
That said, I do see a spot in our army for lizards. While the beetles can be horses/mules/those kinds of quadrupeds. We could turn the lizards into essentially hounds of war, with accompanying small size. But Sprinkles might be more amusing for that project.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 12, 2013, 12:11:11 am »

Hmmm...I have an idea. Have Laksus find a Viper or similar poisonous snake. Increase size, make venom have something to do with Fire, harden scales, give the ability to reproduce only with aid of humans, and gift to Krait. That should show some goodwill.

Next; We need some mobile soldiers. Plant Soldiers and other plant/fungus based troops will be helpful for being able to customize, but they aren't mobile. They're plants. They're probably slow, or they should be. We need some heavy infantry though...Larger versions of plant soldiers, with heavier weapons, called Sapperlings? Their weapons are part of their bodies. Think plant-version of Tyranids. We should also introduce something like a gene could be shifted externally while they grow to get different types, for both Sapperlings(Saps for short. Poor saps.) and Stems(my nickname for the Plant Soldiers). We could do this easily with Chaos, since Chaos is about all change, not just shifting change. Also; they should ALL be immune to fire. So they can ride our Drakes.

Also, why not bone weapons? More efficient than metal, even. Stronger, and we could make some animals that specialize in giving food and materials to our worshipers.

Troop Ideas/List:
Fire-Jackets: Tarantula-sized-bee-shaped flaming insects that breed in fire, and obey our commands.
Drake: Eight foot long three foot tall salamander-shaped cavalry type. Breathe fire?
Blaze Beetles: Beetle-shaped aerial cavalry. Seven feet long, four feet tall? Should be able to essentially squirt napalm on enemies from abdomen.
Stems: Basic infantry force. Grow quickly.
Saps: Heavy infantry force. Can use bigger weapons, slower, tougher.
Awoken Trees: Ent-like things. Big, tough, strong.
Morphed Ones: Wretched combination of plant, fungus, and animal. Has mental abilities to drive our foes insane and the like. Probably increase the abilities of other troops near them, because we can channel our power more easily.
Spottingjays: Scout animals. Can speak and understand most speech, bird-like, great flyers, and best of all; Use chaos to bend light around them when they want to. Usually makes them effectively invisible. Very occasionally a beam of direct light might 'shine' off of them or simply 'reflect' directly as it would normally, but most of the time, invisible.
Seeder: Is able to make new units in the field, by planting and then using Life to quickly grow troop seeds. Or by gestating our animal ones very quickly.
Recycler: Eats dead troops, feeds Seeder with them.

To be honest, we could do nearly anything simply by making various plants and animals grow into the ways we pleased; Chaos shall help us even more with that.

Other Animals:
Spinesheep: Very ugly and grotesque, really; many different shapes and thicknesses of bone grow out of their backs, which are molted every once in a while. Collect bones, use for weapons/armor.
Silkspinners: Modified spiders to make silk in vast quantities.
Drakes: They should have tough, shedding scales for armor.

And of course normal augmented animals that simply do what they normally do, better. More and richer milk from cows and goats, more delicious and smoother feathered poultry, thicker and cleaner wool from sheep...Maybe we could domesticate(though domestication isn't really chaos, changing from wild to domesticated is) deer or something.

A bunch of different biological weapons. Probably heavy use of chemical napalms, poisons, spat/ejected quills/thorns, explosive spores or egg sacs, released gases, smoke.... Fungus spores have been useful. Could make a rifle version of them for Stems first. See how the Justicars like them apples.

Very Warhammer 40k approach. Also, we should really have animals; plants probably gonna lose effectiveness out of sunlight, considering plants do tend to 'sleep' at night.

Anyways. Grant them sanctuary. Fuck Tranquility.

A last thing, Koliup; our theme is life. We're chaos, why should we stick to a specific type of animal or plant? That just makes us vulnerable. Besides the part where reptiles can be herbivores too, and that we can effectively conjure any sort of food from nothing.

Oh yeah! We need bacon bushes.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 12, 2013, 12:18:41 am »

I think some fantasy games have woods that can grow as tough as steel.
There are real trees called ironwoods. Find some ironwood seedlings and treat them, we'll have steelwood deserving of its name in no time! ...How would we cut it down?

Perhaps they will shed the bark after a certain amount of time.

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 12, 2013, 12:37:03 am »

Troop Ideas/List:
Fire-Jackets: Tarantula-sized-bee-shaped flaming insects that breed in fire, and obey our commands.
Drake: Eight foot long three foot tall salamander-shaped cavalry type. Breathe fire?
Blaze Beetles: Beetle-shaped aerial cavalry. Seven feet long, four feet tall? Should be able to essentially squirt napalm on enemies from abdomen.
Stems: Basic infantry force. Grow quickly.
Saps: Heavy infantry force. Can use bigger weapons, slower, tougher.
Awoken Trees: Ent-like things. Big, tough, strong.
Morphed Ones: Wretched combination of plant, fungus, and animal. Has mental abilities to drive our foes insane and the like. Probably increase the abilities of other troops near them, because we can channel our power more easily.
Spottingjays: Scout animals. Can speak and understand most speech, bird-like, great flyers, and best of all; Use chaos to bend light around them when they want to. Usually makes them effectively invisible. Very occasionally a beam of direct light might 'shine' off of them or simply 'reflect' directly as it would normally, but most of the time, invisible.
Seeder: Is able to make new units in the field, by planting and then using Life to quickly grow troop seeds. Or by gestating our animal ones very quickly.
Recycler: Eats dead troops, feeds Seeder with them.

These are good ideas for synergy once we get a lot larger power base.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 12, 2013, 01:32:38 am »

Before you read this: I like your logistical creatures ideas; bone sheep, those spiders, GM'd animals. Now, here's why I disagree with you on the military units:

That sounds like bookkeeping hell. Not to mention that high-magic units may have some draw back we're not keenly aware of(I do not like not knowing everything about black box processes, sue me). Also, we're Chaos, and might not be able to get those exact units.
A few things seem a little off, too: Notably the idea a plant creature would be lit on fire riding a Drake, which seems odd, unless you plan on making them blazing infernos. And why would Chaos work exactly as expected on minds and light itself? For all we know it might suddenly make Spottingjays turn rainbow colored and drop sparkles, and Morphed Ones sing mental operas.
This leads into two of my own concerns: that getting units to cast spells/status effects on Maher's followers/units will violate the terms of the war, and that you may be overestimating our, and our minions' abilities. Understand we're a god. It took us hours to pull off some plant people genesis.  Probably hours as well to get the melons and Firejackets working. A Seeder will likely not be able to pull off any unit production on a battle's time frame.
And yes, sticking to a particular bunch of units can be a weakness. Like living units against, say, a death god. But we're using them anyway(also, iguanas and turtles aren't exactly terrifying- but good catch). We have to try to keep our units as parallel's of Mahers, in efficiency, if we want to be able to defend ourselves. More units will just make coordination more of a headache, too.

Anyway plants don't exactly 'sleep', they just switch to consuming instead of consuming-and-producing(the stomata close). Without the sun, they may have to rest, or risk losing glucose stores(I doubt it'll effect combat ability much, considering humans are much the same, arguably(note the clerics leading undead may have to sleep), and they can probably regenerate this by pigging out). On the subject of respiration.. our enemy's primary units don't do it. Gas and poison are ineffective. We pretty much have to smash the majority of his units to dust. Or burn them so badly they fall apart. Which is why I proposed beetles, as they'd have hard shells(mandibles?), good for smashing, and possible flame breath, excellent for burning, and be herbivores. Also I like beetles.

Final note: +1 to bacon plants.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 12, 2013, 01:57:36 am »

Why would we need to bookkeep? We're chaos.

And why wouldn't it do as we wanted it to for the Chaos based units? Think about it, everything so far we've done using chaos has turned out rather well. There are other gods we'll have to go up against, like, say, Grumugga. Since Maher had those death fields on his priests, I'm pretty sure our units could cast spells without violating his terms. As for Seeders, they don't even need to, it can be recuperation between battles. But additionally, it took us hours to make those things from scratch. We were creating entirely new creatures, not simply growing seeds.

As for the sleep thing, there are nocturnal animals, was my point, that we could use during night, which would be at full effectiveness. Gas and Poison still work on his priests. I'm pretty sure that a good smash taking apart a skeleton's structure will mean it doesn't get back up. They aren't necrons. I'm pretty sure they don't regenerate. Regeneration is our domain. We should make Fire-Jacket Queens...Big ass things that can carry around a bunch of fire nectar and distribute it quickly in emergencies.

Beetles are nice, but if we go all bugs, we risk insecticide. Besides, they're more difficult to ride. Not that it really matters, considering that if we wanted to, we could probably make an animal that looked like a rock, didn't need to breathe at all, and fed on brain activity in the area. We could make a living chariot if we tried.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 12, 2013, 03:54:19 am »

-cut for character limit-

WE(the people) might not need to, but guess who does(check spoiler at end of update, and one at end of this post). And if he has to keep track of 1-10 different kinds of 100 different creatures, each with its own individual stats. He's going to go fucking crazy(probably). I was there in the Demonhood thread. That list of stuff fucking ballooned.
And the reason everything's been hunky dory is cause of good rolls. The one thing that turned out less than superb was the forest, which became highly aggressive. And we're dealing with Chaos. The presence and idea and just form of randomness. I'm still apprehensive about giving any of our power to minion creatures(could it be stolen? you dunno what's gonna happen), but you do make good points on that front.

If someone can deploy insecticide(middle ages- they'd need a lot of poison for bugs that big) on our bugs, they can also do the same to anything else we have, and we can fix the whole hard-to-ride bit by making saddles. That's why they were invented in the first place. But I'm sure that some crazy guy will perfect the art of riding them saddle-less.
And what will we do when the nocturnal animals require sleep? Drag them while we march? Carts are expensive, comparatively, and each one requires a beetle/animal that isn't ready for fighting.

Spoiler: My Character Limit! (click to show/hide)

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 12, 2013, 04:24:59 am »

We ought to strike back at the orcs. Seven mages PLUS dead orcs? It's like Christmas again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Why are these children deemed uncontrollable," you ask. "Is their magic unstable?"
The man stares for a moment, looking surprised at the question, then chuckled mirthlessly. "They're deemed 'uncontrollable' because power equals choices, choices lead to freedom, and freedom isn't very...orderly."
"I see," you remark quietly. "You are welcome to stay at Minas Iroh. And if the Justicars pursue you even here - well, suffice to say that I will educate them of the nature of freedom and the...uncontrollable."
The man nodded, gratitude in his eyes. "And the orcs," he asked tentatively.
"They will be educated far sooner," you murmur. "Rest, and care for your children."

Projecting your voice to Laksus, you command: "Scout around for orc raider camps, particularly ones who appear to have seen recent action."
"Right away, my Lord," Laksus answered promptly, seeming eager to smooth over his earlier transgression.
"Merely scout and observe, do not engage - yet," you add.
Sounding disappointed, he replies, "As you wish," and departs immediately.

Hmmm...I have an idea. Have Laksus find a Viper or similar poisonous snake. Increase size, make venom have something to do with Fire, harden scales, give the ability to reproduce only with aid of humans, and gift to Krait. That should show some goodwill.

Also, why not bone weapons? More efficient than metal, even. Stronger, and we could make some animals that specialize in giving food and materials to our worshipers.
A bunch of different biological weapons. Probably heavy use of chemical napalms, poisons, spat/ejected quills/thorns, explosive spores or egg sacs, released gases, smoke.... Fungus spores have been useful. Could make a rifle version of them for Stems first. See how the Justicars like them apples.

You find the opportunistic villager that had been carving the (now ridiculously abundant) supply of bones into arrows, a women named Samantha - who you promptly ask to begin carving more diverse types of weaponry out of bone, promising to reward her well for her labor.
She proves more than amenable to the task.

The supplies of already carved bone arrows are quite well stocked, and you have an idea to make them far more dangerous. Twenty minutes later, you watch as half a dozen villagers laden with packs of arrows stand out in the forest, dipping the arrowhead into the recess from which the spore projectiles launch. Each arrowhead emerged coated in spores, and the piles of the special arsenal swiftly grew as the day wore on. Although a few spores accidentally drifted on your followers during the process, they had learned your wishes along with their progenitors and did the villagers no harm. They should work beautifully as ammunition for the archer squads of your plant-soldiers, you muse, already savoring the Chaos they should cause within the enemy ranks.

Silkspinners: Modified spiders to make silk in vast quantities.

You frown as whilst coating arrows with spores a villager is bit by a black widow spider, although the wound proved to be quickly remedied by smearing fire-nector into the tiny punctures, burning out the poison. Looking closer at the spider, perched within a beautifully intricate web, each thread stronger than steel of the same thickness, you are struck by an idea.

You pour Life and Chaos into the tiny arachnid, attempting to expand it's web-weaving capabilities even further.

The creature shudders as the insinuating waves of energy strike it, and it begins to balloon in size before your eyes. In a matter of moments, it had grown to the size of a large dog, its colors shifting from black and red to green and crimson. As it develops, you attempt to implant an instinct to be passive to humans, and actively aggressive to orcs. You feel the new behavior sink in successfully.
The finished creature promptly begins spinning a new web, one a hundred times larger. 
(1d20 : 9 + LifeSkill(4) + ChaosSkill(3) = 16, Chaos Skill has increased!)
-45 Mana

You warn the villagers of the new creature, reassuring them that it will be oblivious to them. A few brave souls venture out to collect some of the newly-spun web, to see what they can craft out of it, most notably the local tailor. Hours later, you hear him marveling at a silk shirt woven from the material, lighter than cloth yet stronger than armor - it may turn out to be quite a cash-cow for the village, although you may wish to ask for some to be set aside for your military.

Deciding to experiment on the salamander that Laksus captured, you instruct for it to be removed from it's cage, doused with fire-nector, and surrounded by a veritable wall of torches.

Drawing on Life, Chaos, and most of all, Fire, you pour your remaining mana into the working as you infuse the creature with energy.

The creature swells as the magic begins to affect it, expanding far more than even the spider did - as it did so, the fire surrounding it began to drift inwards, joining with the fire-nector on its skin and soaking beneath its flesh. It's greenish-yellow eyes began to change to a fiery red, and its scales darkened to a deep crimson.  You note with satisfaction the hardness of those scales, tougher than most armor.
(1d20 : 15 + LifeSkill(4) + ChaosSkill(4) + FireSkill(3) = 26)

The edge of its tail quivered abruptly, and a curved blade slid out, the tail itself becoming longer and more muscular as that happened. You notice with surprise the poison dripping from the tail-blade, and hear a faint chuckle. "My my, interesting creation -I hope you like my addition," you hear Krait murmur, his voice amused.

The Flamedrake, now finished, opened its jaws and a torrent of white-hot flame poured out, prompting villagers to retreat to even safer vantage points. "Useful as a beast of burden and for war," Krait observed approvingly. "Which reminds me, the feast! How does a week from today sound?"

You're momentarily distracted from replying to Krait by Laksus's voice, speaking to you from out in the field. "My Lord," he said. "I found the orc raiders, there seems to be quite a lot of them - more than a hundred. And they seem to be preparing a ritual, they have some bruised and bloodied human prisoners that I presume will be sacrificed."

As you ponder who to reply to first and how to reply, dawn breaks and 97 mana flows into you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 12, 2013, 04:38:54 am »

To Krait "That sound fine, looking forward to it."

then to Laksus "Harass the ritual, we being there soon. Try to survive."

Send Firejackets and Fungus Spawn to the ritual. Gather villagers who can fight and not needed for something and Tiberius.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 12, 2013, 06:10:44 am »

To Krait: "Sounds fine. As for the duel, I'd like it to be non-lethal. It's only a friendly game, after all, and I'm sure neither of us would be happy to lose a valuable champion. Although "non lethal" may extend quite far for us..."

To Laksus: "Whatever they're doing, It involve Grumugga, and I'd rather not have her meddling with me again. You have my permission to disturb the ritual. Be a minimum cautious and try not to kill the humans if not strictly necessary. And no, bloodlust do not qualify as such. Otherwise, act as you see fit. I'll have the firejackets assist you by distracting and confusing... Your preys."

And BEETLES POWA. *start the Donut Party for Beetles and Plantlife, the DoPaBeeP.*
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 130