Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 130

Author Topic: You are a new God  (Read 221032 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God
« Reply #420 on: January 11, 2013, 06:33:53 pm »

And GWG, we can find lizards.
Um, lizards aren't six-legged or conveniently attuned to fire already. Salamander-Lizard>Flamebeetle-Firejacket. Cheaper.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: January 11, 2013, 06:49:23 pm »

How dare you guys call salamanders lizards. They're amphibians  :P

But it'd be simple enough to give a handful of salamanders another set of legs and the fire attribute.

Or maybe literal fire-bellied toads.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 11, 2013, 08:41:26 pm »

How dare you guys call salamanders lizards. They're amphibians  :P
Wrong kind of salamander. Normal salamanders? Yup. Six legs, live in fire, typically shown with scales? Who knows.

But it'd be simple enough to give a handful of salamanders another set of legs and the fire attribute.
Or maybe literal fire-bellied toads.
Don't forget to make them big enough to be beasts of burden.
Then work with Krait to crossbreed the salamanders and his snakes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 11, 2013, 08:46:18 pm »

I'd like to concentrate on insects and wild plants. A theme. Be cause we are a chaos god do not mean we cant have a global, identifying theme (like this neighbour has snakes).
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 11, 2013, 08:50:45 pm »

Meh. Flamebeetles, then?
Sig

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 11, 2013, 08:54:19 pm »

Wouldn't flame beetles potientially set the grass and such on fire as they walked? That...might be a bit problematic. Also, since the beetle radiates heat I assume, wouldn't that make it rather deadly for our plant soldiers? I'm all for shock troopers, but if they set our own soldiers ablaze....Yeah.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 11, 2013, 08:57:24 pm »

Wouldn't flame beetles potientially set the grass and such on fire as they walked? That...might be a bit problematic. Also, since the beetle radiates heat I assume, wouldn't that make it rather deadly for our plant soldiers? I'm all for shock troopers, but if they set our own soldiers ablaze....Yeah.
No more than the current firejackets would. Probably less--the carapaces would hold the heat in better, for a more efficient metabolism. Of course, the flaming "nectar" would cause problems...so milk them away from flames.
Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 11, 2013, 09:00:43 pm »

I'd like to concentrate on insects and wild plants. A theme. Be cause we are a chaos god do not mean we cant have a global, identifying theme (like this neighbour has snakes).
Big +1

It's a problem of many suggestions games - bit of this, bit of that...

And still I suggest to focus on economy, I support adding some cattle, but developing our army is just not needed. Any new monster - potential problems after bad rolls

We have

1) First line of defence - Trees
2) Aviation - Firejackets
3) Grunts - villagers\plant soldiers\fungus spawn
4) Second line of defense (the fence)
5) Heavy tank - Tiberius
6) Light tank - The vampire

That's enough to tackle a new army of undeads or the next wave of orcs

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 11, 2013, 09:01:53 pm »

Kaian makes the point I was going to. We gotta have a theme, gaiz. Besides, bigass beetles are arguably tougher(shell) than salamanders, or lizards.

And to address Xardalas: Not if we build them right. The plan I had was for less-magical critters(Firejackets are 110% magical- they procreate with flame). Think giant, regular beetle(with custom paint job) which breathes flame, rather than beetle inferno. And no, they won't kill our plant soldiers by being near them; if we're lighting them up with a beetle, they were probably between it and the enemy.

EDIT: UR. Remember that villagers are our power base. We require them to be able to continue existing. Sending them to fight(or defend) puts our existence in danger. It's why every army we've seen is pretty much non-human(orcs exempt; that god controls ALL orcs, and doesn't have to worry as much). Undead, snakemen, plant people, they lack souls, and cannot give mana, and are therefor expendable.
Also, you forgot:
#) Cavalry: Blaze Beetles
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:07:24 pm by Koliup »

rabidgam3r

• Bay Watcher
  • bruh
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 11, 2013, 09:03:29 pm »

Big +1

It's a problem of many suggestions games - bit of this, bit of that...

And still I suggest to focus on economy, I support adding some cattle, but developing our army is just not needed. Any new monster - potential problems after bad rolls

We have

1) First line of defence - Trees
2) Aviation - Firejackets
3) Grunts - villagers\plant soldiers\fungus spawn
4) Second line of defence
5) Heavy tank - Tiberius
6) Light tank - The vampire

That's enough to tackle a new army of undeads or the next wave of orcs

I could not resist the pun.
Even if he hadn't brought the server down in a ball of flaming, slow-mo gibbing corgis

jaass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 11, 2013, 09:35:04 pm »

Still prefer the blazebeetles then salamander maybe we will create them for a amphibious assaults if the time ever comes around.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 11, 2013, 10:29:21 pm »

What do the plant soldiers use as weapons?  Wooden swords/spears?  They have natural armor but maybe we should outfit them a little more.  I think advancing our military is a good idea, so long as there are no supply issues.  War beetles sound pretty nice.  They should be fast, a bit slower than a horse but more armored and with fire breath.  I like the idea of being able to defend all of our squishy worshippers from the inevitable lich/vampire/skeleton/zombie onslaught.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: January 11, 2013, 10:38:17 pm »

Ah. You both made good points, it would work out if they were built that. I was just thinking it'd be a shame to have our own army destroyed and wiped out by our own units due to a distinct lack of foresight.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: January 11, 2013, 10:41:47 pm »

Still prefer the blazebeetles then salamander maybe we will create them for a amphibious assaults if the time ever comes around.
Why not use lobsterlike critters? Or animate kelp? Fits with our "theme" better.

What do the plant soldiers use as weapons?  Wooden swords/spears?  They have natural armor but maybe we should outfit them a little more.
They can use pretty much any armor as armor. As for weapons? Imagine what real plants use for defense and take it a step or thirteen further...

I think advancing our military is a good idea, so long as there are no supply issues.  War beetles sound pretty nice.  They should be fast, a bit slower than a horse but more armored and with fire breath.  I like the idea of being able to defend all of our squishy worshippers from the inevitable lich/vampire/skeleton/zombie onslaught.
Agreed, especially if the critters have peacetime uses and since we're planning to conquer that one village.
Sig

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: January 11, 2013, 11:05:57 pm »

Agree. I prefer Tiberius raising his skills, not that barely loyal vampire

He's not loyal. He told us Mahir's plans. He's just... Trigger happy. He loves to kill. We should scold him, he shouldn't have attacked that village. Why, they're just people after all. They just worship the wrong god. What we need to do is convert, not kill.

Speaking of boons, I think now, when we have a steady mana income we should be more generous with boons...Several minor life boons could boost our farming considerably.
If we do that, let first boost Eldrick life boon to first Hokage level. We did boost Azula fire boon.
Agreed.

+1

Beat me to it, shame my typing of the explanation went to waste. Also, don't forget that beetles can't live at huge sizes. They'd need to be completely redesigned to support more weight on their legs and breathe with a sort of respiratory system.

"How about we make it a little more interesting," you murmur. "The main event of the feast: a contest, my strongest champions against yours."
Champions. Plural.
Which means they should train together at some point...

Anyways, I suggest creating a firebeetle similar to the little wasp things (firewasps, I think?) but bigger and flightless. And given the required phlebotinum to survive. Its "nectar" should be different than the wasps' nectar, perhaps a weapon, but the main use is as a beast of burden. And war animal. Imagine a beetle, 15 feet long and tall as a man, spewing its flaming nectar everywhere...
So three main attributes for the blaze(fire)beetle is strength, endurance, and the ability to shoot out flaming nectar.

No, no, too many BUGS. We need a beast of burden. An actual beast.

Also Salamanders have always been aligned with the fire element. The six-legged ones anyway. They always found them around volcanoes, so they myths go. We should have battlemanders.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Laksus," you say, coming to a decision.
"Yes?" he answered cautiously.
"I appreciate your enthusiasm, but we need to convert, not kill," you tell him mildly.
"He snuck off and might as well have declared war," Tiberius hissed. "He should at least be punished, if not killed!"
"I choose to view the incident as an attempt to please me that got out of hand..." you murmur in reply. Your awareness focuses on Laksus. "Am I right?" you murmur, your voice quiet with silky menace.
There was a moment of silence, then Laksus lowered his gaze. "Yes, my Lord," he replied calmly.

"I am glad to hear it. But if you do not run any such endeavors by me first in the future, you will not enjoy what follows," you tell him. "Now then. How many humans did you bite that most likely survived the raid?"
"Only the choiciest females," he replied, baring his teeth in a smile. "So six."
"Very well," you tell him, not quite sure yet what to do about that situation. "I have a task for you. Capture - unharmed and alive - a few specimens of lizards, keeping an eye out for salamanders in particular."
"As you command," he replied, inclining his head and disappearing into the darkening night.

You turn to Tiberius. "Thank you for bringing that to my attention - rest assured that if this happens again without my permission - well, I shan't spell it out. I am a Chaos God after all, use your imagination."
"I'm just glad you're on our side," he drawled.

Morning came without incident (+97 Mana), other than Laksus dragging in several reptile specimens, hauling them into hastily constructed cages.
He found a Komodo Dragon, a Salamander, a Chameleon, and though it wasn't quite what you asked for, a crocodile.

Just as the day begins to look refreshingly uneventful for a change, another commotion breaks out on the far side of the village. You check on Laksus warily and see that he is still dragging the crocodile into a cage, cursing under his breath as several chomped off fingers regenerate. With a mental shrug, you zoom your awareness to the commotion, where the priest is draping blankets over several shivering newcomers. "What happened?" you inquire to the priest. He looks up and whispers, "Refuges, from some far-off conflict. They were attacked by orcs on the road to Ceres, and the survivors here fled to the nearest sign of civilization."
One of them, a man, spots the priest speaking, and looks up as well. You hear him whisper harshly, "I know not what God holds sway here-" His hands balled into fists. "But avenge my wife - and...the others we lost -and you will have our worship," he swore.

Since the mortal initiated the conversation with you, you need not spend any mana to reply. "I will do what I can - you have my condolences, human. You are refuges?"
"Yes," he said, bitterness warring with despair in his voice. "You'll see a pattern among us, if you look closely."
You oblige him and study the newcomers. There are four women and three men, and seven children. Everything looked normal, except for that last group - their souls shone with the same intensity as Laksus's, albeit with a pure light.
"Ah...strong souls, interesting," you murmur.
"Born with the ability to work magic," the man continued tiredly. "A death sentence, in the lands controlled by the Empire of Tranquility. Mages are uncontrollable, so they die before they can pose any opposition or dissent."
He looks away, at two children that are obviously his. "Will you take us in?" he asked. "Though as a man of honor, I will warn you - the Empire of Tranquility has a reach longer than this earth, and their Justicars never give up on a target once assigned it."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What do the plant soldiers use as weapons?  Wooden swords/spears?  They have natural armor but maybe we should outfit them a little more.  I think advancing our military is a good idea, so long as there are no supply issues.  War beetles sound pretty nice.  They should be fast, a bit slower than a horse but more armored and with fire breath.  I like the idea of being able to defend all of our squishy worshippers from the inevitable lich/vampire/skeleton/zombie onslaught.
They have hands almost identical to human ones, and so can be equipped with whatever weapons you make available to them and train them in.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 11:07:48 pm by Corruptor »
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 130