Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 130

Author Topic: You are a new God  (Read 220673 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are a new God
« Reply #1515 on: January 22, 2013, 08:45:20 pm »

Sentient firejackets (or other sentient things with souls)  Is  OOC material right now, we shouldn't discuss it here until we know more about souls that we can use. I have many reasons why I think that firejackets with soul may be good ( and many reasons why that is risky, main is that their 100% loyalty is important for our economy ) but it's too early to ight them

But, again, I am sure that it is extremely hard to do a new race (creatures with soul, that will give birth to new creatures with souls) , because GM said that.  And free will is a double-edged sword.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: January 22, 2013, 08:48:50 pm »

Sentient firejackets (or other sentient things with souls)  Is  OOC material right now, we shouldn't discuss it here until we know more about souls that we can use. I have many reasons why I think that firejackets with soul may be good ( and many reasons why that is risky, main is that their 100% loyalty is important for our economy ) but it's too early to ight them

But, again, I am sure that it is extremely hard to do a new race (creatures with soul, that will give birth to new creatures with souls) , because GM said that.  And free will is a double-edged sword.
I wasn't intending to make them sentient, just put souls in them and see what happens.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: January 22, 2013, 09:13:43 pm »

And lastly, NO BOONS
Why not?

I am not suggesting physically manipulating the child to some monstrosity but just giving the child some abilities that manifest itself over a decade or two; so the child doesn't get overwhelmed.
This is fine.

I don't think we should tamper with unborn humans like we do with fully grown ones. We are a god of Chaos, but we are also benevolent. If we don't manage to get the child born (or turn it into a wretched abomination) because we were tinkering around with it, we are going to loose followers (obviously the child and it's parents, but also others who then see that their god can fail).
I say we just touch upon the child, make sure there are no curses or illnesses, have Lara heal the mother of any illness we find and then just let nature go it's way. I am sure even us touching on an unborn life will have an effect on the child, and it's more Chaotic if we don't know what effect that will be.
I guess we can give the mother a ring with a small manarack stone embedded in it to promote any tendencies that develop with the child.
+1 to this, don't try to mess with the child, who knows what will happen just because of our prescense? It's like in Eragon.
+1
it goes without saying that I'm also against tampering with the child. its human potential will just have to blossom on its own.
+1
Let's just make sure babby is formed without issues first. Hell, let's suggest naming the kid after the girl from Eragon anyway, though.
Elva? That's asking for issues. Do we really want a shield from misfortune? (Or a boy named Elva?)

I was 1000% sure that you'll request the adamantium dagger  [sarcasm] of cause it's far more important to spend a shitload of silver to buy an expensive toy for Laksus than arm our soldiers [/sarcasm] The only excuse is the tournament, but still his kukri are doing the job
If we can afford both, we should buy both. If not, I agree with you.

As for constructive ideas... I honestly don't know, not enough time to do anything serious and I made my suggestion almost exactly after the update.
For the record, I like your idea about the growing contest for boons.

Maybe grow corrupted trees along the new roads on our territory, (Any road can be used by invader) or some beautiful plants (flowers)   to make better expression for everyone who visit us. (Again that's a perfect job for plant booners.... but there are irrational fear of boons).
If we go with the trees, be damn sure we control them...

Maybe do our own, grassy road to Ceres and join it to the network that is forming and turning our village into a trade center.
+1

Maybe grow plants with deep roots that could absorb tiny amounts of manarack in soil( Not rock, soil. It should have it, that's how many veins work).
Good idea...after the feast.

Grant 5 minor boons, and 1 major.
How about 4 minor and 2 major? Then we'll have a nice 4>2>1(Eldrick) progression. Somewhere later, if we decide that we need more,  we may upgrade them all and add a new layer of level 1 boons. making the pyramid like 8>4>2>1

But if we do grant major, be sure that Eldrick will oversee and train unskilled major booners
I like this idea. Nice and neat.

I wasn't intending to make them sentient, just put souls in them and see what happens.
Let's not waste souls on experiments until we have some guess as to what would happen.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: January 23, 2013, 12:51:50 am »

Just +1-ing here too. I'm drowned in flood and can't come up with ideas of my own, and it annoy me a little, so I'm just supporting other people's ideas.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: January 23, 2013, 03:42:07 am »

<snip>
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:09:33 am by kahn1234 »

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: January 23, 2013, 03:46:57 am »

"I am Donut, Disciple of Donut."

If we help out a bunch of people with this sort of thing.

"We are Donuts."
We are Donut. Our heads are full of holes.

Extra lawl points if we end up nicknaming Serena "Milk" and/or our kid "Cookie".

I don't that'd work too well, lol.

"Hey Milk!", "Milky"

I can only imagine the debates we'll have once we meet another female god.

hmmmmm......Goddess harem?

Very IC discussion in th IC thread.... damned flooders. Anyway:
Creating two races is a way to create internal conflicts in society unless they are very different (Like sentint trees. Or hives of insects...) But no two humanoid races. Especially one clearly superior to another. That includes different varieties of humans )

Also, I am against any serious genetic modification because that will limit our growth in future (normal humans will shun our society as a society of  damned monsters)

Sporejackets... We have a perfectly fine way to spread spores right now, there are absolutely no need to create them. Also, our most likely enemies are gods of death, and they don't care about spores much. And many things can go wrong with such creatures... From hurting our own people to killing fire-jackets.  And I am as anti new creatures as you people anti-boon, waste of mana in most cases

I was 1000% sure that you'll request the adamantium dagger  [sarcasm] of cause it's far more important to spend a shitload of silver to buy an expensive toy for Laksus than arm our soldiers [/sarcasm] The only excuse is the tournament, but still his kukri are doing the job

As for constructive ideas... I honestly don't know, not enough time to do anything serious and I made my suggestion almost exactly after the update.
Maybe create immediately useful crop on the fields (something useful for war\industry\trade),
Maybe grow corrupted trees along the new roads on our territory, (Any road can be used by invader) or some beautiful plants (flowers)   to make better expression for everyone who visit us. (Again that's a perfect job for plant booners.... but there are irrational fear of boons).
Maybe do our own, grassy road to Ceres and join it to the network that is forming and turning our village into a trade center.
Maybe  expand our old rose bush to cover the whole settlement (BTW, nice thing to grow along the road).
Maybe grow a palisade. Maybe grow comfortable nests for spiders.
Maybe grow plants with deep roots that could absorb tiny amounts of manarack in soil( Not rock, soil. It should have it, that's how many veins work).
Maybe grow flowers all over Minas Ihor to impress the elves and their goddess... I could continue but:
a) It will  all get rejected by majority, anyway. That's not cool. And we need to save maaaana
b) I do think that it's stupid for Donut to do such small tasks himself, when he can grant boons for that ( and preferably permanent ones, not my attempt to compromise with the competition)
c) Doing it all in one turn is tiresome
d) Another butch of direct divine improvement is a babysitting our worshipers, that's bad (giving boons = giving a rod, direct intervention = giving a fish)
e) This post will be  ignored in the wall of flood

I like it. a lot of that we could do ourselves in very little time for very little mana. half of those points arent exactly complex or tiresome.

As for the others, get Eldrich to do it. i dont think he has anything to do since we told him to stop making shroom buildings.

I agree that raising crop rate slightly is absolutely trivial.
Crop rate is somehow a bad thing? Good farmers are bad to have? Or we can't spend 5% daily mana income to improve quality of life vastly?
Oh and that "slightly" with 10 booned can be like  +50%, or, +100% or +300%. Because minor booner can raise an adult plant from nothing in a matter of seconds. And do it few times per day.
Of cause they may find more useful jobs then raising food, (from improving the rose wall to converting stems to saps to doing something great together with Eldrick as his assistants) But if they have nothing to do - raise food for trade

Minor boons are not useless, they are just not very useful.
One minor boon - is not very useful. Many minor boons - quite useful.
What make you think that 10 minor booners are weaker than 3-4 major booners of the same skill? or 1-2 potent booners with the same skill?

the priestess was not granted a minor boon, it was a major one.
Wrong. It is a  minor healing boon (2 mana) + very minor chaos boon (1 mana)

If we go for more boons, we should give a select few people major boons at least. 
Yeah, I prefer giving like 10 minor boons and 3-4 major ones. Or better promote talented minor booners to major ones

Other then that +1 to Firelordsky, except that no need to wait till the tournament, some things can be done now (like talking with souls)

We should give some people boons so they can do things without us being there. It doesn't cost that much mana, not to mention the extra we could get from converts from missionary excursions. It's a good investment. Also, like previously mentioned, they could help our troops in battle. They'd be like clerics, and those are invaluable.
I like to read that. It's like I wrote it myself. But why I never though about the role of battle clerics for saps? It's the best use

Let's make 10 minor plant booners (20 mana daily) , or, at least, 5 (10 mana daily)  minor plant booners, or at most 10 minor + 3 major (32 mana daily)  Some may be civilians and improve quality of life, some may act like commanders and trainers for the units of stems, some may tend for corrupted trees and rosewall and improve our defense

First i want to say i DO see where you are coming from.

However.

Why do we need skilled farmers? we already rely on the melons (which spread and grow rapidly as well as take care of themselves) for vegetable/fruit needs which already have a variety of tastes and uses.

With a little intervention and mana from our part, we could create even more variations which have even more/different tastes, and also create variations for Dyes and Spices tat both each have many variations themselves.

The only time i can see us needing skilled life booned farmers is if we decide to grow 'traditional' crops such as barley, wheat, rye, corn etc.

They wouldn't even be tat useful in a meat or dairy industry as they'd be too weak to influence the animals although they could maintain the animals health better and maybe make them produce more milk.

I tried to post this earlier but my Internet is bipolar so I'm not sure if it went through:

No souls for fire jackets!!!  It's not even a bad idea but there are soooo many better uses for souls than that.  I'd be pretty annoyed if we put them towards that instead of creating a new race, making golems, or a dozen other better uses.

Everything else sounds okay though.
Giving souls to the firejackets ensures even more souls and more mana as a result. Firejackets are certain to breed as long as there is fire and they reproduce far faster. Even if we only got two souls that were interested, the numbers would exponentially rise thus giving us more souls for more things like creating a new race or creating golems or "a dozen other better uses",

we already went over this.....

No. waste of souls. and there is nowhere near a guarantee that they would continue mana production, nor is there anyway near a guarentee that their offspring would have souls. Expensive and Dangerous.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:11:44 am by kahn1234 »

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: January 23, 2013, 04:02:09 am »

<snip>
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:09:11 am by kahn1234 »

kahn1234

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: January 23, 2013, 04:04:54 am »

<snip>

Sorry for multi-post.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:09:55 am by kahn1234 »

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: January 23, 2013, 12:35:24 pm »

Elva? That's asking for issues. Do we really want a shield from misfortune? (Or a boy named Elva?)
Just an example. Our godly prescense could create some sort of hero child. And we don't yet know if it is a boy or a girl.

scapheap

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a good guy...girl. My horse just eat souls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: January 23, 2013, 12:38:39 pm »

Just an example. Our godly prescense could create some sort of hero child. And we don't yet know if it is a boy or a girl.
Or both, or neither (or more than one child) we are a chaos(life) god after all.
You were planning to have a 15 year old magical girl kill Witches by drinking them under the table!? It's original, at least.
Morpheus, a magic girls game

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: January 23, 2013, 04:33:36 pm »

1. Then why was it suggested we name the child after Elva?
2. The uncertainty of gender was my point...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: January 23, 2013, 04:43:06 pm »

1. Then why was it suggested we name the child after Elva?
2. The uncertainty of gender was my point...
No idea, I just brought up Eragon.

kytuzian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Kytuzian - Youtube
« Reply #1527 on: January 23, 2013, 05:03:15 pm »

Gained enough votes in OOC to be mentioned here, I think:

If we're worried about losing track of time, just tell someone to contact the afterlife with the Tree of Fire once the 8 hours are up.

brilliant idea.
Indeed.

I concur.

Origami_Psycho

• Bay Watcher
  • The Arcane Crepe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: January 23, 2013, 06:15:18 pm »

Gained enough votes in OOC to be mentioned here, I think:

If we're worried about losing track of time, just tell someone to contact the afterlife with the Tree of Fire once the 8 hours are up.

brilliant idea.
Indeed.

I concur.
+1 to this
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
That's right bitches, we're a fucking terminator.
Our new catch phrase is: "I wont be back."

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:48 pm »

How about if we were to try to expand the afterlife, but have hard limits on it? Something like only spending 50 mana or 8 hours, whichever comes first. Then, if it isn't big enough, we'll at least have a better idea of how hard it is.

We don't have time to tend for their needs, the feast is to close but we should to 1) visit the afterlife and talk with souls, looking for something interesting
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As the sun sets on the eve of the festival, you decide to make use of the night to check up on your afterlife - you ask Azula to contact you through the Tree of Fire if you're not back within 8 hours.

Shifting across the veil, you are immediately greeted by the sight of a crowd of souls around the Tree of Fire, and hear raised voices in some kind of argument.

A beautiful blonde woman is clutching one of the Chaos Berries the Tree of Fire produces, and is shaking her head vehemently at another woman's words. "We were helpless," she spat back. "Completely at the mercy of those things when the afterlife began to collapse. I need power, to make sure they don't take you, like they took Janet!"
The other woman, blonde as well with enough facial similarities to cause you to suspect them to be sisters, looked down and away, a single tear sliding down her cheek. 
"That wasn't your fault," she said softly. "Please, you could die from this, we have no idea what could happen - I can't lose you too. Shiela, please stop."
Shiela shook her head. "Fault has nothing to do with it," she said, though the sharpness had left her tone. "When this afterlife begins to fall too, I need to be able to do something."

You begin to approach them, and as you do so you spot three tiny cracks in the world. In a flash, you sealed them with a burst of three mana - good thing you checked up on your afterlife in time. 

As you draw closer to the tree, some of the souls spot you and a cheer goes up. You idly wonder how you appear to them in this place - perhaps you look different to every person. Shiela's sister whirls around, and her eyes widen. "Lord," she begged. "Please, tell my sister not to do this."

You regard them both, and momentary indecision wracks you before you reply gently, "It is not my place to encourage nor sway her from that path - I will say however, that it is not a decision to be taken lightly."

Shiela's hand tightened around the berry, and then relaxed. "I'll think on it today," she said to her sister, who hugged her with a sigh of relief. "...just respect my decision in the morning."
Her sister nodded reluctantly, and the crowd began to disperse.

With all the new souls, the quarter-mile space is sorely overcrowded, many of the berry bushes stripped dry, unable to keep up with the demand. Time to fix that.

Enveloping the entire dimension with your will, you slowly push mana into it, like air into a bubble. The forest begins to slowly expand outward, the Tree of Life burning brighter and taller, and the souls watch with cries of wonder. It's strangely easier to expand it than it was to create it - it might be that the start of a new dimension was the hardest part, or perhaps you're just more experienced now. Regardless of the reason, you're able to expand the afterlife to a full mile - draining your mana reserves by a mere 200 for tripling the dimension.

The souls begin to spread out, exploring the new areas with expressions of relief, and you sense that now the afterlife is up to par with the population, you should receive 2 mana per soul here.

Surely Eldrick could grow some sprouts that the alchemist can take to his lab to make ...experiments on. The combined power of his chaos boon and his alchemical knowledge could create something pretty interesting, from more efficient food production and neat potions to crazy poisons tat Krait might be interested in or some sort of crazy kill-everything plant... 
Coming to think of it, maybe we should give him more equipment to secure the experiments, e.g. a chamber with thick glas windows (ask Azula to smelt some sand), that he can manipulate from outside of it by telling a Stem inside to do stuff for him.

As you return to the physical world, the sun has just begun to crest over the horizon. You check on Edward at his new laboratory, and find him still awake, infusing a bit of Chaos energy into a beaker full of noxious green liquid. 
"I see you've adjusted well to your boon," you murmur, and he jumps in surprise, nearly knocking over the beaker.
"Yes," he said, his eyes alight with enthusiasm. "I'm on the verge of a few discoveries, or so I hope - though I could use more test materials."
"What do you need?" you ask promptly. 
"Well, since you asked - five Stems, a few bloodmelons, a webspinner spider, and more barrels of fire-nector." He blinked hopefully. "A bit of manarack would also be fantastic..."

"No manarack," you tell him firmly. "At least for now. The other materials however, I can get you at once."
"Right," he replied. "Thanks, and you won't be disappointed with the results!"

You idly have a few Stems move the supplies to the laboratory, including themselves. Morning breaks, in the meantime, granting you 459 mana.

buy us much copper weapons as we can, we have quite an army and need to arm it, spend rest of the silver on the iron, we'll find uses for it (golems)

You have Ustan purchase the entire stock of iron bars, and as many copper weapons as you can with the remaining funds. Combined with the weapons the village already possesses, you should be able to arm your entire Stem army, with a good hundred or so to spare. The iron bars are enough material for a few humanoid golems, or one golem the same size as Tiberius. The dwarven merchants throw in the three caged troglodites to the deal as well, as a thank-you for the large purchase.

Aren't we going to do anything with the kid? We were talking about modification now nothing.

guide the birth, maybe check for any curses.

maybe give the child a bolstered immune system.

You visit the woman you spoke to earlier, about her child. 
"If you wish, I can attempt to strengthen the child's life force," you tell her solemly. 
"Do it," she said instantly, sitting up in bed.

You reach for Life and gently envelop the incipient child with invigorating energy, pouring strength and vitality into it. As the green glow fades, you're somehow certain the child will survive, never to fall prey to disease or frailty. 
"Thank you," the woman whispered, before falling asleep from the strain of being the conduit of so much energy.
(1d20 : 17 + LifeEnergy(4) = 21)
-20 Mana

Noon arrives, and the festival officially begins, humans from both Minas Iroh and Minas Nurgle mingling alongside a fair amount of dwarves. Food is brought out, beer kegs cracked open, as you watch from above alongside Krait,  and Uristiel as well who had also come out to see the event.

"Tournament's about to begin," Krait told you. "We've just got to decide who's fighting who. I have my lovely high priestess, a talented battlemage, and Erasmus - who like your impressively deadly agent, Laksus, has more to him than meets the eye."
He laughed, a little hiss in it. "As the yoinger God it's only gracious to let you pick who fights who."

Who do you choose to fight each of Krait's three champions?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:27:51 pm by Corruptor »
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 130