Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Alkali Metals  (Read 4947 times)

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
Re: Alkali Metals
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 10:08:35 pm »

You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 10:50:16 pm »

Well, what do alkali metals really add?
vaporised armourers.
Your move.
I'm sorry, I can't accept that.
1. Armorers are one of the few dwarves you DON'T want vaporized.
2. Magma does the same job, better.
3. Seriously, new ways to kill dwarves or goblins is never, on its own, a way to justify something. There's hundreds of way already. It can be frosting, but adding an antithematic tech from beyond the cutoff that adds nothing but danger to the dwarves makes NO sense.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2013, 04:41:42 pm »

Well, what do alkali metals really add?
vaporised armourers.
Your move.
I'm sorry, I can't accept that.
1. Armorers are one of the few dwarves you DON'T want vaporized.
2. Magma does the same job, better.
3. Seriously, new ways to kill dwarves or goblins is never, on its own, a way to justify something. There's hundreds of way already. It can be frosting, but adding an antithematic tech from beyond the cutoff that adds nothing but danger to the dwarves makes NO sense.
I'm waiting for the responses of people who disagree. It shall be glorious.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2013, 02:53:28 am »

I know this is a fantasy game with a collection of unrealistic things but I think it would ruin the mood some if alkali metals were even on the list of things you could order armourers to craft with.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2013, 10:15:42 am »

So do I. Even in my mod, I pretty much only included lithium and sodium and their only use so far is the occasional forgotten beast made of them.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2013, 06:56:23 pm »

Just imagine

Two dwarves, one runs past the other, the other turns and sees a cascading wall of fire approaching. He turns and runs as well, and both begin making their way through the tunnels. Through the craftsdwarves halls, through the kitchens, and out the main entrance. The elves are vaporized. Out of breath, they turn just in time to see the top of the mountain fracture, large pieces falling down the sides

¨What happened?¨
¨Forgotten beast made of Caesium. It got wet.¨

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2013, 07:32:08 pm »

I'm not so sure large amounts of the stuff would react fast enough with water to act like the equivalent weight of gunpowder say. The most dramatic explosions I've seen from the stuff is from small bits. Notice how in this video you get a rolling explosion rather than a single huge blast.

Still would make an interesting set of materials in game or even better if more interesting material reactions like this were possible.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2013, 08:08:34 pm »

Just imagine
Two dwarves, one runs past the other, the other turns and sees a cascading wall of fire approaching. He turns and runs as well, and both begin making their way through the tunnels. Through the craftsdwarves halls, through the kitchens, and out the main entrance. The elves are vaporized. Out of breath, they turn just in time to see the top of the mountain fracture, large pieces falling down the sides
¨What happened?¨
¨Forgotten beast made of Caesium. It got wet.¨
Meh. Kinda silly. It also makes FB Roulette even worse.

I'm not so sure large amounts of the stuff would react fast enough with water to act like the equivalent weight of gunpowder say. The most dramatic explosions I've seen from the stuff is from small bits. Notice how in this video you get a rolling explosion rather than a single huge blast.
Indeed. It's an area:volume thing.

Still would make an interesting set of materials in game or even better if more interesting material reactions like this were possible.
Interesting? Perhaps. Deadly? Yes. Inexplicable? No, excep maybe for alchemy.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2013, 08:10:41 pm »

Interesting? Perhaps. Deadly? Yes. Inexplicable? No, excep maybe for alchemy.
That last bit was more of a tangent. More interesting material reactions in general would be nice for when things touch.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2013, 06:00:18 pm »

In all seriousness, Caesium tipped bolts would be Fun in all meanings of the word.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]