Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What empire do we play as?

GWG's Psychic mindcrabs (Mindstealing crablike beings)
- 5 (12.5%)
Jbg97's Proelium Empire of Cassigans. (Warlike humanoids)
- 6 (15%)
GotdamnMiracles Ajacet (Warlike, semisuicidal Insectoid race)
- 6 (15%)
SoHowAreyou's Obin (Cybernetic Technocracy)
- 7 (17.5%)
I'manelfColaborator Harbringers (Anthrompomorphic semitribal internally divided crows)
- 1 (2.5%)
Ardas United Earth federation
- 4 (10%)
Ukranian Ranger's Order of life (Human space hippy elves)
- 7 (17.5%)
Rolepgeek Unified societies (Pascifistic aquatic beings)
- 4 (10%)
Option I
- 0 (0%)
Option J
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22

Author Topic: Galactic Machinations (Semi suggestion game). Space elves  (Read 25051 times)

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Machinations (Looking for players. Empire submission open)
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2013, 02:50:33 pm »

I don't want to play another game as space vaginas.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2013, 02:54:04 pm »

Roll of the dice. After all, I'm but their servant.

?

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2013, 02:57:19 pm »

Well it stands to reason one faction will be of the more warlike of the species.

So we can always join it, or be rebels.
I will be no way I'm spreading peace and love through out the galaxy.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2013, 02:58:30 pm »

These are DF's elves, not the peacefullhippy* elf variety. If you look at their doctrines, given in UR post. They're quite strict. Also, no exclusion of violence.

*More like the treehugging hippy

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2013, 02:59:13 pm »

Roll of the dice. After all, I'm but their servant.

?

Often times people want to be the "good guys" in this setting. That's fine, I have just played it a lot. Same /\. Forewarning, you might encounter a lot of psychopaths.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2013, 03:04:31 pm »

Meh, whatever. Not what I'd have preferred, but at least realistic, unlike crows or squids.

I propose for an aggressively-naturalistically-knight-templarish names for ships and latin/greek gods for worlds. Ships: The Cleanser, The Lightbringer, The Banisher, The Lighthammer, The Treefist, The Vinestrangler, The Sunrevealer, The Peacemaker, etc. Worlds: system name+number. Gaia I, Poseidon III, Aphrodita IV, etc.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2013, 03:07:52 pm »

writing the PM, will take some time
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2013, 03:09:02 pm »

Two things.

One, realism has no place in discussing spacefaring alien species considering we have no idea whatsoever as to what they might be, other than they would need to be intelligent and capable of fine manipulation.

Two, while I like Cleanser and Banisher, I think one-word names might be better, and why latin/greek? It's so cliche. Why not, like, chinese and russian? Or, you know, english.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2013, 03:15:12 pm »

Two things.

One, realism has no place in discussing spacefaring alien species considering we have no idea whatsoever as to what they might be, other than they would need to be intelligent and capable of fine manipulation.
And they would need to be able to make spacecraft, which pretty much requires metal, which pretty much requires fire, which pretty much requires you not to be in the water.

Two, while I like Cleanser and Banisher, I think one-word names might be better, and why latin/greek? It's so cliche. Why not, like, chinese and russian? Or, you know, english.
Or something obscure, like Afrikaans.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2013, 03:15:41 pm »

One, nobody demands the strictest realism, only common sense. Spacefaring species evolving on the ocean floor and a single genus existing in all three dimensions ignoring pressure are its violations.

Two, because if we're going to be referencing feudalism, fanaticism and inquisition while keeping a big-brotherish peaceful and nature-loving facade turned to the outer world, we might as well go the whole way. Latin because it's something that a dogmatic galactic empire would reasonably use and Greek because I wanted 'Gaia' because of hippie connotations, then went to Poseidon because why not and then extracted the common theme.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2013, 03:21:44 pm »

Two things.

And they would need to be able to make spacecraft, which pretty much requires metal, which pretty much requires fire, which pretty much requires you not to be in the water.

phosphorus..... It can burn in any environment with oxygen..... And at really high temperatures as well
Sodium is similar in that regard, except explosions......

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2013, 03:24:03 pm »

Two things.

phosphorus..... It can burn in any environment with oxygen..... And at really high temperatures as well
Try teaching a cavemen how to extract phosphor and using it in a meaningfull/ not self killing way with rock tools.

Also, what are the intermediate steps for this to be discovered spontanously.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2013, 03:26:38 pm »

Two things.

Try teaching a cavemen how to extract phosphor and using it in a meaningfull/ not self killing way with rock tools.

Also, what are the intermediate steps for this to be discovered spontanously.
well, most phosphorus just glows under contact with air, it is a rock, so rock tools can extract it, although inefficiently....

Then there is the concept of uplifting, WHICH SOLVES ALL THE PROBLEMS YOU GUYS ARE ARGUING ABOUT!!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2013, 03:55:44 pm »

Two things.
Well, sodium in its pure form tends to react...poorly...with water, so it's an even worse fuel than it would be for landlubbers.
I'm not sure if phorphorous flames would be practical for metalsmithing ever, but here's a question for you: How would they ignite this phosphorous they somehow got?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2013, 04:35:01 pm »

Two things.
Well, sodium in its pure form tends to react...poorly...with water, so it's an even worse fuel than it would be for landlubbers.
I'm not sure if phorphorous flames would be practical for metalsmithing ever, but here's a question for you: How would they ignite this phosphorous they somehow got?
phosphorus just tends to stay in fire for A LONG TIME
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 22