Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: what's the point of rooting android and/or cyanogenmod. what stuff can you do?  (Read 3322 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

I mean, there's some issue with the bootloader, that it's locked or sumthin'

Can't install any OS that isn't signed by Motorola. At least in the GSM version I got.

we can unlock the bootloader :D

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My main reason for rooting my phone is that I wanted to record all the phone calls I made with it, and the only way to get proper access to the incoming audio stream was via rooting.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, a lot of stuff requires root access, e.g.:
Installing new fonts (like tamil)
Using your phone as a packet sniffer and pulling pranks on people using public wifis
Access to the system files, including stuff stored in the databases and caches of apps.
Removing crap installed on contract phones
Backups
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean, there's some issue with the bootloader, that it's locked or sumthin'

Can't install any OS that isn't signed by Motorola. At least in the GSM version I got.

we can unlock the bootloader :D

You mean that kext thing? I haven't tried it yet. NOt sure I want to :D

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/another-all-in-one-rooting-hacking-utility-this-time-for-motorola-droid-razr-users/

Uh, ok, that works for rooting. I already rooted my phone... how do you install an entirely custom OS (like CyanogenMod or whatever) with it?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

lol it aint my job to do your googling, yea im well aware that the utilty is dead now, to install custom roms on phones you need to use a recovery utility to load it in. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1391900
that would be your option to flash custom roms.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, do you actually own a Razr or not? The Razr won't boot if you install any rom that isn't the Stock rom or a customized version of it. NOT a version of CyanogenMod, for example.

I love how you assume I haven't done my Google and actually already found most of those pages you throw randomly at me ::)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i own the razr i, the new intel atom one. I been dealing with android flashing for a while now and so far haven't screwed up one device from the motorolas to HTCs. I am competent with fastboot, adb console, and android terminal. Safestrap is currently the only recovery which bypasses the moto security. Trust me you can get it on there, else why would the roms exist then?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, from what I can tell, that's the signed Linux (Motorola stock rom) booting up a second unsigned Linux, and thus bypassing the bootloader, while still retaining the ability to boot the first Linux in case the second Linux goes kaput.

Very interesting...

I wonder, if it was so easy, why all my searches came up with people complaining about not being able to install custom roms in Razr.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, from what I can tell, that's the signed Linux (Motorola stock rom) booting up a second unsigned Linux, and thus bypassing the bootloader, while still retaining the ability to boot the first Linux in case the second Linux goes kaput.

Very interesting...

I wonder, if it was so easy, why all my searches came up with people complaining about not being able to install custom roms in Razr.
well, flashing and modifying your phones is considered developer level of work, sadly not alot of people either read or ask the right questions, there are people that have blown up on reviews even though they didn't follow the requirements or the instructions. Flashing a moto is a pain in the ass yes but its easy as long as you READ. And if anything if you are scare to do the flash then don't, its not worth risking the $600+ device. its up to you, i know the xt910 should have jelly bean stock by now.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I already flashed my Moto when they refused to hurry up with the damn ICS update, and I had to download my own ROM.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I already flashed my Moto when they refused to hurry up with the damn ICS update, and I had to download my own ROM.

ooh that might be problematic, can you flash back to stock?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ooh that might be problematic, can you flash back to stock?

It was a stock EU rom from Motorola, they just weren't rolling out the auto-updates fast enough and a lot of people got pissed waiting using Android 2.3, lol. It had leaked somehow, but it wasn't hacked or anything.

In fact what I read about that safeboot, is that I have to get an even newer ICS update.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I was considering rooting my first-generation eee transformer. Hoping for less bugginess, and all.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 [2] 3