Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1072 1073 [1074] 1075 1076 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1864836 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #16095 on: February 27, 2015, 03:12:42 pm »

I do imagine it being something like the Fallout New Vegas Real Time Settler mod where you could pick an area and slowly upgrade it from a basic campsite to possibly taking over a few buildings in a city, should you be able to clear enough of it, while assigning jobs like farmer, guard, mechanic, etc.

I'd love if someone did something like the RTS mod again. That was a fantastic project both in FO3 and NV.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16096 on: February 27, 2015, 04:03:37 pm »

Thanks!

Now to find out how to make firewood. :D

A wood axe! Logs don't burn in fireplaces very well (or at all so far as I know) but splinters and 2x4's burn wonderfully. I modded in a reaction to make a bunch of useless firewood materials out of logs, more firewood than 2x4's but it's only good for burning.

Speaking of, why don't we have wood-burning diesel cars?

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #16097 on: February 27, 2015, 04:11:36 pm »

Because gasification has been suppressed by The Man, man.
Really though, there are *very* few gasification-powered cars on the road, and they require a hefty amount of hardware and tools to create. (former for pre-existing, latter for NPC-made)
But I don't think it would be too out of place for one to be one of those really rare vehicle spawns, much less common than APCs even.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16098 on: February 27, 2015, 04:18:37 pm »

I dropped off this thread for a really long time and it is hard to figure out what the state of the game is.

Does DDA still have a dedicated developer from the Kickstarter? Does it have multiplayer?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16099 on: February 27, 2015, 04:20:13 pm »

I do not know, I dont think it ever did. It did have one hired from it to do one or two major things.

No multiplayer.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16100 on: February 27, 2015, 04:39:28 pm »

I dropped off this thread for a really long time and it is hard to figure out what the state of the game is.

Does DDA still have a dedicated developer from the Kickstarter? Does it have multiplayer?

Here, have fun. http://dev.narc.ro/cataclysm/jenkins-latest/Windows/Curses/

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16101 on: February 27, 2015, 06:49:02 pm »

No multiplayer.
It does support multiple players in the same world with some weirdness, but IIRC it won't let you overlap your reality bubbles or something similar. You can totally run it as a multiplayer server though, and there are people who have.

I really don't want to go and pick all the other points you made apart, (I always feel like a pedant, even when the details aren't insignificant,) but there's some large flaws in the logic behind the hypothesized situation presented.
Oh no, feel free, when the time comes to implement power plants and the power grid the exact method of how the stuff is all down will make a pretty big difference. (That said the power will remain mostly off, since the cool part about being a developer is that you can retroactively justify your game decisions by changing the lore to a different reason if it turns out that the one you were using is invalid. :P)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

blazing glory

« Reply #16102 on: February 27, 2015, 06:54:53 pm »

but IIRC it won't let you overlap your reality bubbles or something similar.
So you can't interact with each other and most of it is just seeing the effects of what someone else did?

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16103 on: February 27, 2015, 07:19:59 pm »

As it turns out, rubber gloves do not help you against shockers when unarmed. At least that character had just started, so no big loss for me.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16104 on: February 27, 2015, 07:51:40 pm »

but IIRC it won't let you overlap your reality bubbles or something similar.
So you can't interact with each other and most of it is just seeing the effects of what someone else did?
Correct, but you can interact in the sense that one person can come rescue the other if they get trapped (by having the first person log out, the second come in, clean up, and leave, and then the first one log in again) or by trading things. You are both free to use the same areas, you just aren't allowed to use the same areas at the same time.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16105 on: February 28, 2015, 03:49:28 pm »

Two things about "vending machines are still on so the internet must still work".
The vending machine is entirely self-contained, if it has power, it's good.  Having "the internet" work requires having EVERY node between you and the target server be fully operational, and with modern websites, you need paths to dozens of servers to be up for the page to work properly due to load balancing and geographic distribution systems.  Even if you happen to be in the vicinity of a municipal wifi system that's still operational, there won't be any interesting servers also connected to it and running.

"The game has one thing in it that doesn't make much sense, therefore this other thing that doesn't make sense should be ok", is not an argument for anything except maybe changing the existing anomalies.

We'd love to do base-building with NPCs, but that's not even on any kind of vague roadmap, so there's no telling when or if it's going to happen.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16106 on: February 28, 2015, 06:02:28 pm »

Felt I'd drop this here, but earlier this week a single bundle of fiber optic cables was cut in Arizona by a road construction accident. Up until the line was repaired after a day or so, the only parts of the internet that worked in all of Northern Arizona were Verizon data plans and Walmart (since each store gets it's own satellite link). Everything else was completely down.

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #16107 on: February 28, 2015, 06:40:20 pm »

I will point out, I wasn't talking about the modern internet, I was talking about a kludged together 80s'esque hacker network that might appear after a while, as people try and reestablish communication.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16108 on: February 28, 2015, 06:41:50 pm »

As it turns out, rubber gloves do not help you against shockers when unarmed. At least that character had just started, so no big loss for me.

Awww you thought this was a Roguelike didn't you? :P

Sarcasm aside... Yeah that is the sort of thinking these sort of games should be encouraging.

The reason I tried to get into Roguelikes in the first place was because I found out the "Orb of poison" could be picked up safely if you were wearing gloves.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16109 on: February 28, 2015, 08:15:51 pm »

I will point out, I wasn't talking about the modern internet, I was talking about a kludged together 80s'esque hacker network that might appear after a while, as people try and reestablish communication.
Some kind of network using old wifi routers, and satellite dishes (search it you can use them to pick up wifi over very long distances)?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 1072 1073 [1074] 1075 1076 ... 1086